close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

best dear/elk rifle??

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by gunnin_em_down, Nov 13, 2004.

1. gunnin_em_down

gunnin_em_down

I've never been on a big game hunt before, i am saving up for a new rifle now. i want to use the gun for deer and probable elk. i hear that a 7mm mag is a good gun for this, or maybe a 30-06, but like i say my knowledge on the subject is limited at best so i need you guys input.

2. 0100010

0100010 Millennium Member

Come on now, your wife can't possibly look anything like an elk......j/k ;f

Well, .30-06 and 7mm Rem Mag have very similar ballistics overall. You can use lighter 140-150gr loads for deer, and 180-200gr loads for elk. I would go with .30-06 myself if I wanted a combo large/medium game rifle, if it was a large game only rifle I would go for the 7mm Rem Mag.

3. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony NRA4EVR

The best rifle for deer & elk?

Why that would be the Great Plains Rifle from Lyman! :)

[​IMG]

I recommend .54 caliber for elk and deer, the 1 in 60" rifling will give great accuracy with patched ball. *click here*

4. Match10

Match10 NRA Life Member

Nothing replaces good shot placement! That being said, I've used my handloads of the Barnes X bullet - 140 gr through my 7mm Rem Mag to great effect. At times, the bullets exited the far side, leaving a huge and catastrophic wound channel thereby dropping the animal in its tracks.

However, many feel the .30-06, or even the .338-06 are better. For the rifle that has to do other chores like antelope, the 7mm is just fine for me!

5. A_Swede_17_1911

A_Swede_17_1911

I shoot a 7mm Rem Mag, it my deer and elk rifle. Its a good rifle, you can shoot the lighter 140 grain bullets for Deer, then go up to the 175 grain bullets for elk. The 7mm will give you a faster bullet, and its shoots a little flater on the balistic tables. While the 30-06 will give you a larger selection of bullet weights.
    Both are good for deer and good for elk, you might have some limited range with the 30-06, but its not a handi-cap, since its range exceeds, the distance of the shots you will take, unless you plan on some really longs shots.

If you plan on hunting more deer than elk, you could probably get away with useing a .270, if you just hunting elk everyonce and a while, with a good shot the .270 will do fine, with a heavier bullet.
    I have friends that shoot elk every year with a .270 and havent lost any animals. Also the .280 reminton would be a another good choice as well, but not as popular as the .270 or 30-06.

6. pdxbubba

pdxbubba

I concur. I haven't tried the Barne X bullets yet. After a couple boxes, I am impressed amd love to shoot the 168 grain Barnes XLC BT with my 300 win mag. Very realiable shot after shot. I wouls love to clock one of these rounds!

Next year I am trying the 130 grain Barnes XCL BT.

7. txgolfer45

txgolfer45

Personally, I love my Remington 700 ADL in .270. So far, three shots, three deer dropped right where they stood. I've been using the Remington Express Core-Lokt 130 gr. cartridges.

Scott

8. vafish

vafish

30-06 is probably the best all around big game cartridge for the lower 48 states.

Lots of ammo choices, plenty of power, easy ammo availability (every little store that sells ammo will have some 30-06 in it).

There are other choices that will work well too, but, the 30-06 does it all.

9. lomfs24

lomfs24

I agree with vafish a 30-06 is a good all-around work horse. Will do anything you ask it to in the lower 48.

I personally subscribe to the lighter faster flatter school of thought and would opt for a 25-06 for that reason. However, ammo availibility(sp?) will be much better for a 30-06 and it will be in stock pretty much anywhere that sells ammo.

10. dougader

dougader

For those who have to buy their ammo, I'd say stick with the .30-06. I think its the benchmark for best all-around choice for a deer/elk rifle.

That said, I wouldn't feel undergunned with a .270 Winchester or especially a .280 Remington. I'm not much of a fan of magnum cartridges and the belted cases they usually come with.

When it comes time for deer season around here, the local stores always have Remington Core-Lokt ammo on sale and .308 and .30-06 are always on the list.

I don't think you can go wrong with an '06.

11. gunnin_em_down

gunnin_em_down

what if i ever decided to go black bear hunting? the mountains about 4hrs from here have an abundance of black bear... would the .30-.06 be alright for black bear.... also which shoots flatter, the .o6 or 7mm mag? thanks

12. lomfs24

lomfs24

IMHO, the 7mm mag shoots much flatter than the '06. I would have to look at my reloading books to prove that though.

A '06 would be plenty for a black bear. Like has been said before, the '06 would do anything you asked it to do in the lower 48 states.

13. vafish

vafish

Yes it does,

But it really only makes a difference out past 300 yards or more.

Someone who has never been on a big game hunt or used a high power rifle much before has absolutely no business trying shots at 300 yards or beyond.

14. gunnin_em_down

gunnin_em_down

i know. i won't take any shots past probably 100-150 yards until i get more skilled w/ the gun. but i plan on using it for a long time, so i was curious which one shoots flatter for after i have been on a few hunts and done some shooting at the range. i have a 30-30 right now that i've shot out to that distance before, so i'm comfortable in that range.

15. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

ditto

16. RonC

RonC

I just ran some numbers through the free RemShoot program. Don't know how to post the screen shots but the 7 mm doesn't look that much flatter than a 30-06 from the ballistics.

For example, with a 200 yd zero and a 300 yd target, they are both about 6.5 inches low, both with 150 gr bullet. Certainly within the expected limits for a deer sized target.

The 7 mm has about 400 ft*lbs more of energy, 2300 vs 1900 but the trajectories are not that different.

Get what you want. If you hit it right, you will kill it.

17. Big B

Big B NRA Member

That statement is about 99% true. We do have cape buffalo living in the US and they would probably require a 375 H&H as a minimum caliber.
    I know no one is probably going to hunt the cape buffalo but I just like to nit pick I guess.

18. lomfs24

lomfs24

I actually was not aware that we had cape buffalo in the wilds here. Even at that, I would probably think twice about shooting a Bison with an '06 even though last fall there was a guy who shot a Bison with a 10mm Glock.

19. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

I was very close to buying a Rem rilfe in 7mm Rem Mag and was told it kicks like a mule.

Kick much more than 30-06?

20. TMK

TMK Let God Sort'em

I hunt Upstate Pennsylvania and have always used a Winchester Mod 70 in .30-06...Remington Core Lokt.

For swamp and brush hunting I actually switch over to my S&W mod 29 and a Marlin 1894 in .44 mag. A superb close range combo IMHO!

Regards, Ted