Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
33,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to look for a new range toy, probably for IDPA SSP division. Looking at double action only, but want a good trigger. Be nice if no thumb safety, at least 10 round mag, no magazine disconnect, and a 4" to 5" barrel. What would you suggest?

Glocks are in the running. I have a 26, and could get a 17 or 34. But I don't really like the Glock grip angle of the full-size guns.

I like my Kahr PM9 trigger, and would consider a TP-9, but the mag is only 8 rounds. If anyone knows of 10 round mags for it, please let me know.

Don't know much about the Springfield XD. Still not sure if they are considered by IDPA to be DAO or single action. If a good trigger, might consider one, even if it was considered single action and part of the ESP division.

S&W M&P look interesting on paper, but 6.5 pound trigger? That's more than the 5.5 pound standard Glock. Any thoughts on the M&P for fun and games?

Any other guns that should be on my radar?

· BOOM headshot
1,807 Posts
H&K LEM is very close to a Kahr trigger.
A P30 with the lighter (209296) firing pin block spring makes for a very smooth 6# trigger.

btw: the Kahr T9 is not IDPA SSP legal. There have only been 1500 or so T9's made in its entire production run. To be SSP legal Kahr would have to make 2000 per year.

:cool:

· Registered
2,316 Posts
I have always liked the S&W. It is 6.5 lbs but can be smoothed out but it is smooth and consistent. I don't think the new M&P feels like 6.5, maybe 5.0 cause it's so smooth IMO. If you are a LEO you can get it without a mag disconnect if your department allows. That never bothered me and I think it is a minor issue.

· Registered
532 Posts
Glock or XDM. I shoot better w/ my XDM. However, finding simple upgrades (like sights) can be challenging where you can get anything for a Glock pretty cheap. I like the XDM trigger better. It is "mushy", but it breaks easier for me. You can't go wrong really.

· Registered
893 Posts
My opinion may not be worth much as my only experience was dry-firing, not live-firing, and it's been a few years since I've checked out DAO semi-autos, but the one I liked best was the Sig DAK trigger (specifically a 1st Gen 239 SAS in .40 S&W, but it's available on other models), with the Kahr a close second (I can't remember the specific model, but I think it was their mid-size steel-frame 9mm).

· Registered
3,541 Posts
As a general rule, I don't like DA triggers. However, for me the Glock is an exception -- it is operationally the same as a SA trigger with a long take-up. It breaks like a SA, and has an extremely short reset like a SA (so you don't need a long pull for each shot). This feature can be enhanced with a couple of spring swaps as well, which reduce the weight of the "take-up" part of the pull, without messing with the way the trigger breaks.

Of course it's a personal decision and all that, but if you're generally inclined toward SA triggers, it is relatively easy to come to terms with the Glock.

· NRA Patron Life Member
13,822 Posts
I'm going to look for a new range toy, probably for IDPA SSP division. Looking at double action only, but want a good trigger. Be nice if no thumb safety, at least 10 round mag, no magazine disconnect, and a 4" to 5" barrel. What would you suggest?

Glocks are in the running. I have a 26, and could get a 17 or 34. But I don't really like the Glock grip angle of the full-size guns.

Any other guns that should be on my radar?

G19!!

15 rounds in the magazine, one up the pipe.

My G19 is boringly accurate, especially with the CCI Blazer (aluminum) rounds.
No worries about 'ratting the brass' (scurrying around on all fours), and it shoots incredibly well.

· Registered
33,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
IMO DAO and range toy dont go in the same sentence. If I had to go DAO add another vote for the Sig DAK
Why not DAO and range toy?

The way I'm looking at this, IDPA is a game. Draw fast as you can and shoot as accurately as you can at the designated targets, with the designated number of rounds.

It is good practise, that would likely help in similar real life situations, but it is still a game.

Single action semi-autos with thumb safeties are not completely out of the question, but they are not what I carry in real life. In real life I carry a Kahr PM9, Glock 26, Ruger LCP, or a S&W 642. All are DAO, draw and shoot.

I've shot them all in IDPA type stuff. That is useful to do.

But for the game itself, IDPA is oriented toward the tricked out race guns :) Just my opinion, you know, stuff that most people don't daily concealed carry. Or at least, guns that I don't usually carry :) But for the game, those longer barreled heavier guns with the longer sight radius and longer grips, are easier to shoot quickly and accurately. They aren't so easy to carry, but they are good shooters!

· Registered
33,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
btw: the Kahr T9 is not IDPA SSP legal. There have only been 1500 or so T9's made in its entire production run. To be SSP legal Kahr would have to make 2000 per year.

:cool:
Is this specified anywhere? I've only seen the general IDPA rule book, with no mention of specific guns.

Not doubting your info, but just wondering how would anyone would know how many T9's were produced?

By the way how many TP9's?

I assume they'd both be ok in the enhanced division? No?

· ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ
3,488 Posts
With a little work the M&P can have one of the nicest triggers out there in the plastic gun world. Most of the people I see going to the M&P go for the 9L. No sense paying for a factory trigger job and sights when you're going to toss them anyway.

· Grits and Gravy
241 Posts
I would definitely, for best trigger, buy a S&W Sigma :) seriously though, for me, its a tie between the Glock and M&P as far as trigger goes...the newer SR9's from Ruger aren't bad either...Can't go wrong with any of them...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.