Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mas - One of the things I appreciate most about your abilities on this forum is how you can sift through our individual thought processes and circumstance and provide some advice that reflects upon our perceived needs.

An example: at 62 years of age I find my threat assessments to be dwindling to practically zilch. I know FBI violent crime statistics have fallen dramatically in the 10-20 years and perhaps that is part of what I feel in my immediate surroundings. I'm a retired former MP dog handler living in Arizona and Minnesota, depending on the time of year. For the last three years I've been carry a concealed handgun in circumstances where it feels ludicrous.

Last fall I decided to own and shoot just one gun, a Gen 4 Model 26. I actually made Expert in SSP division of the IDPA with that gun. However, in early September I had double hernia surgery and my favorite carry method (AIWB with a Galco Second Amendment) was no longer possible, so I bought a S&W 642 and Remora holster and have been carrying in a front pocket, a Small Of Back position or at the 12noon position and everything is hunky dory.

My challenge/question: I also own a Gen 4 Model 19 with a Streamlight TLR-1 HL tactical light and six hi-cap magazines. I've been carrying this gun at the 3:30 position in a Little Foxx IWB holster. It's soooo much heavier and uncomfortable compared to the J-frame and I'm beginning to think I've got way more firepower than I'll ever use ... which leads me to question if perhaps I should cash in the G19, mags and about 1,200 rounds of 9mm ammo and buy a second 642 with some speed loaders for shooting in SSR division, BUG matches, etc. in order to become as skilled with the snubby as I was with the G26.

I figure I'm sitting on about $1,000 worth of 9mm stuff. Another 642 would run me about $400 and I could get a strong side holster for IDPA matches for another $50. The rest of the money would go for ammo and match fees.

Bottom line: the point of aim and trigger pull are so much different between the two guns that I'm thinking I should focus on the S&W. (P.S. - I also obtained a 442 for my wife to carry in her purse; she found her G26 a bit heavy on a long day.)

Please help me with my thinking. I've always taken your advice with a great deal of weight. Thank you.

·
KoolAidAntidote
5,928 Posts
I hear ya, bro, but I'm gonna suggest a third option.

Get the extra 642, and keep the G26s.

The rationale is this. You've already tried the "one platform only" for each of you, and found lots of good things with that. Commonality. Shooting Expert in IDPA with the compact auto. A search of the archives here will show numerous GSSF matches where a shooter with a G26 has been overall MatchMeister, beating every score with the service pistols including his own.

Alas, you will search www.smith-wessonforum.com, and the entire world in vain, to find matches where folks with 2" J-frames outshoot the scores they and other skilled shooters post with the larger revolvers. The scaling down will not be proportional in terms of readily deliverable skill, speed of fire, volume of fire, etc.

You've also discovered the downside of the "one platform only" approach: a lack of versatility. If you and your bride have a G26 AND a 642 apiece, you have a dramatically wider wardrobe of carry guns for different weather, situations, dress codes, and threat levels. Each of us is only one day away from our threat level suddenly, unexpectedly, and precipitously escalating. The wardrobe of guns better allows for that.

I'd suggest shooting an IDPA Classifier with the J-frame. It might be a sobering experience. The G26 does a better imitation of the shootability of a service pistol than the J-frame does as an imitation of a full-size six-shot revolver. Where the J-frame shines is where deeper concealment is needed, and when you need something that comes out of the pocket or even ankle holster faster than a square-back auto, which I've found the J-frame certainly does.

Which brings us to the final reason why I'd suggest you have both: a discreetly concealed Glock 26 with a J-frame S&W for backup makes an EXTREMELY versatile combination.

best,
Mas

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As always, thought-provoking. Thanks for your well-considered response. The part that registered the most was the potential for the threat level to change overnight, no matter where I might be living or traveling at the time. I had never thought of that because I've always felt I could control the threat level by simply staying home at night or only going places with a good reputation. I'll give it more thought.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts