close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best compromise in GSSF ammo

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by hapuna, Jul 30, 2002.

1. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

OK I went to my first GSSF event recently in ID and came away with an ammo question. I was shooting Win White Box the stuff I use for practice. 2 things happened...the first was that I had a failure to eject. The Glock armorer was a nice guy and tried in every possible way to let me know that it wasn't the gun which only left me and the ammo. When he heard what ammo I was using he suggested that it was probably a marginal load that just didn't cycle properly. The second issue was at the plates. Whereas most of the time they went down I did have one go down so slowly that I had shot 2 others and was coming back to finish it off when it slowly fell.
    My question is if I used my defensive load or some other load(your suggestions here) would the plates have fallen more easily. I do think there would be no cycling problem. What kind of ammo do most shoot.
    This is a Glock 35 .40SW
    Thanks..I need this before the Shelton shoot in Aug.

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

It's easy to get excited in your first competition and let your thumb brush against the slide. It could also be the ammo. I've always suggested Federal's American Eagle 165-gr FMJ ammo, which should function perfectly in your G35.

Plates are calibrated to fall when hit at the 6:00 o'clock position with a 9mm factory load. Should not be a problem with any .40 factory ammo. Your time stops when the plate is hit, not when it falls.

3. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

Well though its my first GSSF match I have competed in IDPA so I don't think there was any issue brushing the slide. And the good news is that the time actually stops with the last shot fired and is not related to the plates falling. Both the timer and I had a laugh that just as I was to squeeze off another shot the plate fell which did save me a few seconds. I just logically thought that with a harder hitting load you might get more out of the less than perfect shot placement. I will try the Federal load you suggested and see how I like it. thanks.

4. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

The Federal load has a power factor in the 160's and the plate should fall with a power factor of 125+. The plates fall with my PF of 140 loads in my G24C.

5. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Prior to reloading last year I always used Win USA white box, in my 35, 24C, and 23. I have never had any trouble with it knocking down plates when I hit them. I used an extremely light load of WST and 180s last season and didn't have any trouble knocking down the plates when I did my part.

6. GoGlock

GoGlock

Might I suggest CCI Blazer ammo - I've never had a problem in ANY caliber I used - from .22 to .45.

Welcome!

Mark

7. MStarmer

MStarmer In Jail...

Hapuna, where in wash you at? I'm planning on being at the Shelton one as well. Now to decide, which one to shoot...

8. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

My own home brew ammo has always worked best for me in GSSF, IPSC as well as just plain old plinking.;f

For factory ammo with a good quality and at a reasonable price I would suggest the Winchester USA Q loads. I have shot thousands as well as my department has shot uncounted numbers in .40, .45 and 9 without any problems at all.

9. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

Hapuna, where in wash you at?

I'm in Puget Sound....literally. Vashon Island

10. MStarmer

MStarmer In Jail...

I'm in Arlington and wondered where you shot IDPA? Nobody up here does it. The closest we get is (1) IPSC match in Marysville and some fun shoots at the local ranges...

11. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

Renton Fish and Game. Its a good group but are now focusing on running the State IDPA championship for Aug 17/18.
    The IDPA stuff is 3rd Sat. of the month.