Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 5 1911's 1 cheap compact, a gold cup, 14-45 para. Desert eagle g model, a 22 lr, and Lama. The gold cup and desert eagle are excellent shooters. The others were what I could afford at the time. I usually carry the compact. I have started carrying the eagle at this time but I like the compact just for its size. I want a 45 cal. That has the accurate shooting ability of the eagle withe size of the compact. Any suggestions?

· Premium Member
CLM #38
11,041 Posts
One of my best shooters is an early Kimber Stainless Compact. 4" bull barrel and no Series-II crap.
Up until a year ago that was my exact reply. My Kimber Compact Stainless was worked over at Novak's and it was my summer carry piece.

Last year I picked up a Wilson Combat Bill Wilson Carry model and have never looked back. It's a phenomenal carry weapon.

Both are CCO configuration, a 4" slide over an Officer's frame. They are also both tack drivers.

· USMC 8531
2,571 Posts
I asked because I carry a Officers model Colt, it's great for carry but you give up accuracy with the short sight radius and lighter weight on the follow up shot. The Commander size will be better but there are always trade offs.

· Premium Member
CLM #38
11,041 Posts
I asked because I carry a Officers model Colt, it's great for carry but you give up accuracy with the short sight radius and lighter weight on the follow up shot. The Commander size will be better but there are always trade offs.

I agree with you totally. That's why I believe the CCO configuration is such a stellar compromise. The 4" barrel give you the sight radius and accuracy and reliability. The shortened grip provides more effective concealment. I have never been comfortable with a 1911 less than 4" in length. The reliability was just not there.

· Registered
136 Posts
I have 5 1911's 1 cheap compact, a gold cup, 14-45 para. Desert eagle g model, a 22 lr, and Lama. The gold cup and desert eagle are excellent shooters. The others were what I could afford at the time. I usually carry the compact. I have started carrying the eagle at this time but I like the compact just for its size. I want a 45 cal. That has the accurate shooting ability of the eagle withe size of the compact. Any suggestions?
Take a look at the Sig traditional compact stainless. It has a 4.25 bushed barrel, officers grip, a little heavy as it is all stainless. I like mine.

· Registered
373 Posts
If a Wilson is in your budget, please take a look at Guncrafter's CCO. I have several Wilson compacts and they're great guns; but the GIs are just as good (maybe better) at a little less cost. I have four GI No Names and, while the checkering is a bit severe, I don't notice it while shooting.

· ****** Viejo
32,829 Posts
For the money, Springfield Range Officer Compact .45 would be hard to beat. Mine shoots really well, everything from handloads to HSTs.

^^ I have to agree. After shooting my buddy's ROC I really need one. tom.

Reactions: DubfromGA

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is a lot of choices. I looked at kimber site and they have some manny models it's confusing . Range officer looked promising. Dan Wesson was double what I paid last year for my desert eagle and I would be inclined to think that it's not going to be twice as good of a shooter. Now if I go that price range I will go Brown, Wilson, or Bear.

· Premium Member
22,879 Posts
DW ECO. Nuff said. ;)
I got to put a box of ammo through mine today (first shots), and I have to say I'm impressed so far. It seems like a well made gun for the cost. Still have many rounds to go to get a more informed opinion, but first shots were very positive.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.