Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, hoping someone here has some experience with this specific case and can answer this for me.

I am going on a trip to Las Vegas soon for my wedding and wanted to take my Glock 19 with me. I purchased the Pelican V200 medium sized pistol case to store it in for the plane ride there. Unfortunately, I'm having a little trouble figuring out what exact combination/key lock I should buy for it that will fit it. It needs 2 locks. I purchased a 2-pack but the shackle was too small on them so I couldn't actually lock them in place. Does anyone have this case and know what locks would be best for it? Obviously, they need to be TSA approved. If someone could help me out with this that would be great. I don't really want to try experimenting by buying a bunch of locks and wasting the money to figure out which ones I can use with the case. The holes on the case for the lock are 8mm, just in case anyone would need to know that. I included a picture of the case and a picture of the locks I am considering. The lock is the Master Lock 4696T. Let me know if that would be a good choice, and any other recommendations you have! Thank you for taking the time to view my post and I look forward to hopefully someone answering this for me so my problem can be solved!

Attachments

·
NRA Life Member
69,807 Posts
I just stop by Harbor Freight or Walmart and pick up some cheap locks. It's not that complicated. Just don't get those luggage locks with the flexible wire shackle - I saw a guy denied for those the last time I went through the airport. I gave him a couple of extra locks I had and that got him on the plane. The locks have to fit tight enough that you can't open the case and get the gun out. They don't have to be quality locks.

Reactions: Hoss

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just stop by Harbor Freight or Walmart and pick up some cheap locks. It's not that complicated. Just don't get those luggage locks with the flexible wire shackle - I saw a guy denied for those the last time I went through the airport. I gave him a couple of extra locks I had and that got him on the plane. The locks have to fit tight enough that you can't open the case and get the gun out. They don't have to be quality locks.
Do you think the lock I posted a picture of would be fine though? I think they should work just fine but I'm not 100% sure. Not alot of information out there on locks for these. I might have to just go to the store and try to find some there.

·
Registered
8,995 Posts
What Bren said, or just take the case to the hardware store and try out a few locks if you prefer. The ones you pictured should be fine. If someone really wants to get at your pistol, they'll either steal the box, or find a way to cut into the plastic around the lock (which is time/labor intensive). By disclosing it when you check in, the airline knows you have a pistol in your luggage so if something happens to it while in transit, it's a big deal for them.

·
Director of civil unrest
11,577 Posts
Hello, hoping someone here has some experience with this specific case and can answer this for me.

I am going on a trip to Las Vegas soon for my wedding and wanted to take my Glock 19 with me. I purchased the Pelican V200 medium sized pistol case to store it in for the plane ride there. Unfortunately, I'm having a little trouble figuring out what exact combination/key lock I should buy for it that will fit it. It needs 2 locks. I purchased a 2-pack but the shackle was too small on them so I couldn't actually lock them in place. Does anyone have this case and know what locks would be best for it? Obviously, they need to be TSA approved. If someone could help me out with this that would be great. I don't really want to try experimenting by buying a bunch of locks and wasting the money to figure out which ones I can use with the case. The holes on the case for the lock are 8mm, just in case anyone would need to know that. I included a picture of the case and a picture of the locks I am considering. The lock is the Master Lock 4696T. Let me know if that would be a good choice, and any other recommendations you have! Thank you for taking the time to view my post and I look forward to hopefully someone answering this for me so my problem can be solved!
You might want to watch some of this guy's videos.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

Masterlock Rollerlock. Use them on anything I need to unlock quickly or without looking. Those rotating combination locks are easy to pick……learned how to do that in high school.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Lovell26,

As others above recommended, get some better quality locks. Get the best that will fit the holes on the Case.

For many years before I retired when we were home on days off from oversea's and now that I'm retired ms. gamboolgal and I take lots of Road Trips and we use/used Pelican Cases to keep our EDC's, Cash, Jewelry, Computers, etc. in when we are at Hotels. I like to play the Pokersszzzz and will have a good bit of cash with us and I would never trust the rinky dink hotel safes.

We also used the following methods for the last 18 years before I retired for working and living oversea's in Africa to secure our valuables while flying international flights - as I knew several men who had Cash, computers, various valuables, etc., stolen on the long Transatlantic Flights and at Airports in Europe and Africa.

For the Flights use the biggest heaviest padlock you can fit on your Pelican for Carry On and Checked Bags. The Pelican shown below is Size Compliant for all major airlines for Carry on Luggage - but it is not light when you have a computer or two in it.

At Hotels, we have larger Pelican Cases and take some of the Masterlock Flexible Cable Locks and run the Cable thru the Padlock on the Pelican Case and secure the Cable to Furniture or something secure.

The point is to make stealing the Case difficult, awkward, and time consuming in addition to needing some tools.

We have been doing this for years and have had no issues.

Tip from our own experience - do not forget the Combo if it is combo locks and do not lose the key(s) if keyed. The cases and good quality Cables and Locks can be quite difficult to break into...... this I know for a fact.... ha ! You will need tools !

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys for your responses. So after doing hours of research, I found that I do NOT want to put TSA locks on my actual gun case. The TSA locks are only to lock my suitcase up with. The gun case has to actually have locks that only I have access to. I wasn't really understanding how this works but I'm glad I did all this research before I showed up with TSA locks on my gun case and got rejected before my flight, that would have sucked. I was panicking because I've never flown with a firearm before but now I see it's actually quite easy! Just gonna go to a hardware store like someone above mentioned or Walmart and just get some keyed Master locks. Appreciate all who commented! Hope this thread helps someone else out someday.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
This!

·
NRA Life Member
69,807 Posts
Do you think the lock I posted a picture of would be fine though? I think they should work just fine but I'm not 100% sure. Not alot of information out there on locks for these. I might have to just go to the store and try to find some there.
Those will work if they don't let the top open significantly while locked.

Reactions: FAS1

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thank you guys for your responses. So after doing hours of research, I found that I do NOT want to put TSA locks on my actual gun case. The TSA locks are only to lock my suitcase up with. The gun case has to actually have locks that only I have access to. I wasn't really understanding how this works but I'm glad I did all this research before I showed up with TSA locks on my gun case and got rejected before my flight, that would have sucked. I was panicking because I've never flown with a firearm before but now I see it's actually quite easy! Just gonna go to a hardware store like someone above mentioned or Walmart and just get some keyed Master locks. Appreciate all who commented! Hope this thread helps someone else out someday.
Glad you caught that, I was going to tell you that your gun case must NOT use TSA locks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are you putting that case inside a piece of your luggage or is it going as is ?
Its going in my checked baggage. I have another question. I have a Tier 1 Axis Elite holster, so it's kind of big and won't fit in my guncase. Is it okay if I just leave it in the suitcase thats going in checked baggage next to the gun case or does a holster have to be locked up as well? I can't imagine a piece of plastic would have to be but you never know with TSA.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Its going in my checked baggage. I have another question. I have a Tier 1 Axis Elite holster, so it's kind of big and won't fit in my guncase. Is it okay if I just leave it in the suitcase thats going in checked baggage next to the gun case or does a holster have to be locked up as well? I can't imagine a piece of plastic would have to be but you never know with TSA.
In a suitcase in checked baggage, sorry.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That doesn't need to be locked up.

·
Registered
327 Posts
You actually need non TSA approved locks on the pistol case. It has to be something only YOU can unlock. Then inside of your checked bag which can have regular TSA approved locks. Your airline CS agents will have TSA scan your bag in the spot with you standing by if there’s and issue.

·
NRA Benefactor
5,826 Posts
Not meaning to mess up this thread, but I'm confused. You can put a gun in a locked case in an approved TSA locked suitcase? Which means if your luggage gets messed with, there is no tracking on the case that has the gun in it. Don't firearms get sent to a special area for pickup? Or will it just go down the carousal in the suitcase?

Sorry, but to me something doesn't seem right. Or am I reading this wrong?

Used to be, we had to pickup up firearms at the special baggage desk.

·
Kydex Crafter
7,180 Posts
This is why I drive most everywhere I go. AND.....I don't need a rental car....lol

Reactions: K. Foster
1 - 20 of 24 Posts