Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No best Lube or Protect requests and no broad what are best CLP requests for Glocks ... *I am strictly inquiring what is the best CLEANER only for removing carbon and copper fouling from Glock barrels , slides and other Glock metal surfaces where carbon can hide and build up ? If you use a separate barrel cleaner and then another cleaner for slides , extractors , other Glock metal parts , etc. that's fine to , so lets hear them ... Lastly , I shoot only FMJ bullets out of a stock Glock barrel ... Thanks in advance !

·
Registered
264 Posts
Balistol

·
Banned
547 Posts
Used motor oil.

Reactions: cbird77

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
Brake cleaner or carb cleaner is the nuclear option. But for the love of sweet baby Jesus, wear eye protection when you are spraying that stuff. I think its overkill on a gun.

But honestly, any of the top CLPs from Breakfree to Ballistol to Hoppe's will do the trick.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
CFC free brake cleaner for when I want everything blown out,
Don’t do that. If blowing out includes firing pin channel, sleeve, or cups.... or heaven forbid your actual frame, it’s a bad idea. Brake cleaner has acetone

http://guyjsagi.com/2019/02/26/how-long-will-polymer-handguns-last-and-is-acetone-a-killer/

“For an instant disaster, however, Borges cautioned, “Acetone is the single most potent chemical that will nearly destroy any polymer components. While gunsmiths use it for cleaning metal components, you shouldn’t even get a drop of it near polymers.””

·
Registered
73 Posts
After you clean and get rid of the gunk and powder residue from you glock. Then give the glock a light wiping of FP10. When I do this I find that after shooting my gun all I have to do is wipe it with a cloth and most if not all the gunk comes off. Leaving the medal clean.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Just sayin'
4,641 Posts
I normally use Breakfree CLP for cleaning carbon, power residue. K.I.S.S. Then I'll use
Mil-Comm TW25B Gun Grease or something similar for the areas that requires good lubrication. Enjoy and be safe.

BTW, I also use JB Bore paste and Kroil to clean out copper and lead build up.

·
MacGyver
7,609 Posts
Shooting FMJ self limits the buildup through the barrel, minimal cleaning needed there for non-scientific measurement purposes. If truly ambitious, I use the same below.

For me, nothing fancy, no rituals or magic potions:
Dishsoap (prefer Dawn- avoid that harsh industrial restaurant degreaser), hot water, toothbrush, plastic Glock bore brush, cleans the rest of the gun. dry/wipe with paper towels, put on top of the water heater or furnace to dry overnight, oil, assemble, done.

28 years of shooting Glocks and other guns.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Shooting glocks since the earLy 90’s. I simply brush the bore dry no solvents and wipe everything off with a rag, then apply whatever oil I happen to have laying around on the recommended lube points. 2 minute job. Never saw the need to use any sort of cleaning agent. “Clean enough” is all you need. Boot camp white glove inspection clean gains you nothing and is an immense waste of time. Glocks ( any decent gun really) does not have to be spotlessly to be dependable. If it take some you more than 5 minutes to clean your pistol, you are wasting time

·
G43 Fanboy
1,996 Posts
No best Lube or Protect requests and no broad what are best CLP requests for Glocks ... *I am strictly inquiring what is the best CLEANER only for removing carbon and copper fouling from Glock barrels , slides and other Glock metal surfaces where carbon can hide and build up ? If you use a separate barrel cleaner and then another cleaner for slides , extractors , other Glock metal parts , etc. that's fine to , so lets hear them ... Lastly , I shoot only FMJ bullets out of a stock Glock barrel ... Thanks in advance !
For Glock or any other guns, if you are looking for CLEANER, instead of CLP, Hoppes No.9 is the best cleaner for that purpose.

·
In The Saddle
8,688 Posts
I've used a good deal of stuff over the years, and there is a bunch that works...
But on Glocks, and "everything else," I use M-Pro 7 Cleaner, and M-Pro7 lubricant. It has worked very well for me. Also, "Chore-Boy," a small piece wrapped around a bristle brush and the M-Pro 7 cleaner, knocks out everything, and I shoot almost all hard cast. FMJ, or lead, the above here works for me. The M-Pro 7 lub, is very good. I use that, on my AR's, and all my guns.

Good Luck!

CM
:horse:

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I use Choreboy copper wool and mineral spirits for the inside of a barrel. I think copper from the bullet jacket is beneficial to fill the imperfections of the bore.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Ballistol works fine, it’s not toxic. For the ultimate deal, ultrasonic cleaner can’t be beaten.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Hoppes # 9. I've had good results with plain canola oil for melting carbon fouling, too.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts