best choke/shot combination for the wily Arkansas 'dillo

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Matthew T., Sep 24, 2004.

1. Matthew T.

Matthew T. tax poor

Hypothetically speaking, what size shot should be used in conjunction with which choke for maximum effectiveness on the wily Arkansas armodillo? The hypothetical shooter has a 20 guage. He is leaning toward #4 or #2 through a full choke.

2. noway

noway

It depends on what and how it patterns and how far you are shooting it. I use IC/MOD but then it's a 12ga shooting a simple 7/8oz or 1oz handload #4 or #6s. Get a milk bottle and place it on the ground and shot it with your shot/choke combo at the typical distance that you want to engaged the mighty dillo ;f

Then that would give you an idea of what would happen with you SG.

btw: dillos aren't hard to kill with a shot gone. This was taken with a 12ga loaded with 1 1/8oz #4 steel left over from a coot hunt. It was shot at about 7yrds in the head & front shell.

3. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

So what does armadillo taste like?

4. Matthew T.

Matthew T. tax poor

I'm all about cooking what you kill, but in the case of 'dillos I make an exception.

5. noway

noway

Kinda like a sweeter version of pork from what I was told. Not to tough and mild on the gamey taste.

I don't eat dillo just like I don't eat possum or skunks. like Matthew T said, I draw the line at the above listed game animals as far as eating them. I let others eat them if they choose.

Supposely in alot of centro americas countries dillo meats is a highly prize meat source. Hondurans and a few other countries have good dillo meals. One of my old neighbor wife is Honduran and they cook it with garlic, onions mixed with some peppers seasons and rice and sweet plantians on the side. It looks good and smell good, but I have politely refused their offers for dinner.

6. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

I thought it might have been some sort of delicacy I was missing out on. I guess not. :)