close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best catfish bait?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Hihopoly, May 9, 2003.

1. Hihopoly

Hihopoly

What do you use for catfish bait?

raw bacon? cheese?

2. noway

noway

Chicken guts.....work very well for the meow fish.

I have heard of people using raw bacon but cheese???

3. DLayng

DLayng Glockriffic

I gotta say Chicken Liver has produced the best, consistant results for me. I have tried just about everything else and still fall back to the liver.
    Tight lines.
    Don

4. revbrown

revbrown useless member

yup - haven't fished for some time - but in illinois and missouri the chicken parts were the best bait for the cat

globs of liver and gizzard and what have you all around a treble hook :cool:

5. Big Time

Big Time Senior User

If you want to catch the monster catfish,use a small bream or large minnow.Use at least #20 test line and be ready.Best spots are where a creek empties into a river.;f

6. vafish

vafish

I've had my best results with raw hotdogs.

Easier to eat the left overs when your done fishing :)

7. redskyzatknight

redskyzatknight Glock S&W Kahr

When my little cousins come over, I cut up a block of cheddar cheese in cubes and leave them in a bag on ice. It works well and is easy to put on the hook after you catch one or get ripped. A few pretzels and beer and you have a great snack too.

8. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

It sounds strange but, doughballs sprayed with WD-40 or used cigarette filters.

9. SoDFW Jason

SoDFW Jason Slow Hillbilly

Chicken gizzards and chicken fat(you can get it for free at butcher counter or chicken places)both work pretty well and they stay on the hook MUCH better than softer bait.

The best I have found is frozen "bait shrimp" but it is hard to keep on the hook sometimes.

10. Dan in Alaska

Dan in Alaska

When I used to fish for flatheads in Wisconsin on the Mississippi River, we used to use small, live Bluegills. Flatheads seemed to prefer live bait. This was legal, as long as we counted the Bluegills as our daily catch.

11. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

agreed and bread balls work well too!

12. button man

button man

Spam is without a doubt the best catfish bait I have ever used. Cut up hotdogs soaked overnight in fish formula is second best.

13. J.P.

J.P. Intergalactic

Around here they prefer live or cut shad.

14. glock_19guy1983

glock_19guy1983

Chicken Hearts work very well because they are very tough My dad and I were in the check out line at the grocery store the other day with chicken hearts when a black woman came up and asked us "How is you gonna cook dem hearts?" Without missing a beat my dad said "Oh we like them raw" That was the funniest look Ive ever seen on that black womans face ;f

15. Hihopoly

Hihopoly

Ok here goes...

Actually asked for "free fishin' scraps" at the grocery store. ;f No dice though. :(

Tried chicken livers tonight and caught an 18" cat. Shwing. Not sure of weight or "breed" (channel cat? - northern VA area). That cat was growling like a croaker!

Tried live sunfish (my all-time-favorite fishing set up) on a bobber/steel rig/3 trebble hooks set up. Had a BIIIIG one on the line but I messed up and gave him slack as he hit the surface... he got away. AAAAARRRGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

All this was, of course, after everyone else left and I was alone. Got pics though. Ha ha. Going again tomorrow nite. Day fishing stinks there.

**Noticed something neat too. In the water beside the dock a bunch of small crappie/sunfish would swim in a bunched up ball formation right below the surface, maybe 20 or 30 of them. As I dropped my little hook-n-cheese (fishing for bait) into the "ball" they just ignored it repeatedly, swimming in circles. They usually go right after cheese. Then this BIG fish, maybe 24" or so came tearing through the ball and the crappies scatter. Couldn't tell what kind but maybe a pickerel?? The big fish seemed to be rounding the crappies up like whales do to to their prey before they attack. Regardless it was pretty cool. :cool:

Oh yea I think I'll try the chicken hearts if they stay on the hook better. Thanks for the input all - Maybe I'll post pics if I land some more...

16. liam_g

liam_g

This thread makes me so homesick ... reminds me of my Old Kentucky Home, where my uncle, Howard Fox, was a commercial catfisherman below Barclay dam on the Cumberland river. Built his own boats, cured his own chewing tobacco, made his own fishing rods. 15 minutes of fame time: he was interviewed by "Outdoor Life" for an article on catfishing, probably about 25 or 30 years ago. He and my grandad and all my other uncles and I would use cut shad, as someone else mentioned. I miss it ...

Good luck with the cats!!

Regards,
    Liam

17. Hihopoly

Hihopoly

Good catch Saturday night. One 26" catfish, one 23" catfish, and one monster twice as thick - as thick as a soccer ball - reeled it down the dock, but lost it when the hook came off the fish in about two feet of water. Tried to grab it by the gills but it took off. :( Largest catfish I ever (almost) landed. Next time, bring the friggin net.

18. Sulaco

Sulaco Guest

I have my best luck using cutbait. I fish Lake Murray shoreline for channel cats. We use herring because that is mostly what they eat anyway. They only seem to bite good between 9 and 11 PM. At 11 PM they stop biting like clockwork. Here is a picture of a few I caught a few weeks ago. We caught about 17 or so that night. No real big ones, but perfect eating size. I have pulled some 20 plus pounders out of the lake before. We use surf fishing rigs and can throw them pretty far.

[​IMG]

19. Hihopoly

Hihopoly

Nice catch Sulaco! Hope you left some in the Lake, lol...

I use a surf rod too, steel rig and... a big bobber. Cuts down on snags, and I actually prefer the bobber instead of weights sinking to the bottom. I know what you mean about clockwork! Here 8:30pm is when they start biting (sunset).

I went out again tonite for a few hours and landed a 29" cat, live sunfish as bait. Trying to catch that monster (to me anyway) I let get away the other night ;P

20. Sulaco

Sulaco Guest

All of those went back in. We were too drunk to try and clean them. ;f Some of them had gotten finned up pretty good, but they all took off as soon as we released them and headed for deep water.

That is one reason I like catching catfish, they are so durable. I have had them live all night long on a stringer and then still be kicking around when I went to clean them the next morning. They had been out of the water for over 2 hours!

I prefer to fish the bottom because I seem to catch more fish. I use a steel leader also, but mine has a 2 ounce weight on the bottom and 2 leaders coming off the side about a foot apart. I use wide mouth hooks and have good luck with this setup.

I used to fish some of the deep water from boats with this setup and caught some really big blues that way. I even had a big blue hit a 10 inch topwater crankbait one time when I was striper fishing the river!