Best carry options for backpacking/day-hiking

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by OrangeDot, Jan 3, 2018.

1. OrangeDot

OrangeDot

Hi,

Due to backpack and it's strapping mechanism's it is very cumbersome to carry IWB/OWB. Hence I am trying to determine the best options for carrying my G20 while backpacking or day-hiking. Below is what I am thinking now, but please tell me otherwise if you know of better options. Or options that I might not have considered.

Best option for conceal carry: one of Hill People's Kit Bags.
    Best option for open carry: SafariLand drop leg holster.

Thanks.

2. Tvov

Tvov

Those "Kit Bags" look good, just use one of them. I was going to suggest some sort of chest carry.

Jeff S. likes this.

3. Mountain10mm

Mountain10mm

This has been beat to death here. Someone please insert the hammer pounding the horse avatar. That being said...

Drop leg holsters are for TV SWAT guys. Like the most uncomfortable and unpractical holster - maybe even ever. Running is impossible and the leg strap will cause your pants to ride up and pinch more than your leg if you know what I mean.

As for the chest pack, if you want to strap a fanny pack to your chest go ahead. Talk about a mess of straps and tacticool gear hanging from your pectorals this would be it. I've tried the chest holster rigs, commonly advertised for big-a$$ revolvers to be carried where scary bears live. Still have at least one for the G20. They just seem to get in the way of the pack, and jackets, and binoculars and even taking a leak (makes a big blind spot down there.)

With a day pack, I've found that a high quality, OWB, leather (not rigid kydex) pancake style holster works best. It flexes as you move and spreads the weight of the hip belt out over the gun. With a heavy pack, there's really only one option if you don't want to attach the hog leg to the pack and that's a Galco shoulder holster worn with at least one layer of clothing between the holster and your skin, and at least another layer of clothing worn between the holster and your pack. Balance the gun weight out with a flashlight and magazine(s) on the non-gun side of the shoulder holster.

If you do the belt holster route, get one that has a closed muzzle otherwise every time you sit down in the woods dirt WILL work its way into the muzzle of the gun. Trust me on this one.

rangerjd likes this.
  4. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

5. OrangeDot

OrangeDot

Thanks for your inputs. I will check into the Galco shoulder and the Kenai- chest one. Have you guys personally tried the drop leg holsters for a specific glock from Safari-Land when you say it is uncomfortable? Or was that another brand.

What I have heard so far from online research on Safariland has all been positive for the 6304 model (for G20). Sharing some findings below.

The GearTester dude likes the Hill People's kit bags:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEHSg8RH4F8&t=192s

I also found below review of drop-legs to be somewhat helpful. They say is it comfortable unless one does not wear it right. They also mention the drawbacks:

http://cavearmor.com/drop-leg-holster-review/

6. orangejeep06

orangejeep06

rangerjd likes this.
  7. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
    I just run a 2 inch drop on my belt holster so it goes underneath my backpack straps.

No reason to run a full tactical drop leg. And yes, I have both of the common Safariland drop legs, I don't find them as uncomfortable as some make them out to be, but they're not what I'd prefer to wear if I could avoid it. Plus you look like an idiot out in the woods.

rangerjd and pAZ Ron like this.
  8. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

When I hike/backpack or ride my bike I carry a pouch on the chest strap of my pack. It usually holds my 9mm sub compact or snub revolver and my ID, phone etc.. The one shown is actually an old multipocket Case Logic Walkman case. I also have them for a Disc player which carries a larger gun. Of course they don't make Walkman or Discman cases anymore but anything similar like a camera case or first aid case etc would work. Depending on the type of pack or case it would also work on waist/belt strap. I don't use the waist strap on my Camelback or day pack but do on my backpack.

[​IMG]

Uncle Mike's carries a belt pouch specifically for handguns as do a number of other companies. I would look at those before dropping a C note+ on high priced specialty one.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    Ohsheepdog and arnold ziffle like this.
  9. rangerjd

rangerjd

I carry my G20SF, when I'm hunting and hiking in a Diamond D chest rig. Quick and easy to get to and out of the way most of the time. I found an old army surplus m9 holster at a surplus store, the kind with the flap over top. I was able to alter it a little to fit my G20. It is also easy to hike with and my choice when I'm taking one of my horses for a ride.

https://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/collections/holsters

Ohsheepdog likes this.
  10. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

You may or may not be aware that you can buy a harness for the M9 holster (technically called the UM84/M12) that turns it into either a shoulder or chest rig. It you look above the flap in the photo you can see that it comes with retaining strap as well. Take the flap off and pull down the strap. That's my 5.5" redhawk in it on the left with the flap, a 1911 on the right with the strap. Nice thing about the M9 is that it is kind of universal.

The harness is called the Bianchi M13 UM84/M12 Military Chest Harness. You can buy them on Amazon and occasionally you can find both the holster and harness cheap on ebay. You can also wear it as a conventional shoulder holster, under the arm.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    rangerjd likes this.
  11. rangerjd

rangerjd

That's a great idea. I'm going to have to look that one up. Thanks.

12. sourdough44

sourdough44

Yes, and type of ammo factors in heavily. It depends on where one is hiking. For many areas a hi-cap 9mm is enough to cover most bases. We can get up to the 454 Casull if we need the most in AK or Yellowstone.

I’m often quite comfortable with my 40 s&w.

Ohsheepdog likes this.
  13. SmokeRoss

SmokeRoss GTDS Member #49

What? You can't get your thing out far enough to see it? Just do it by feel.

14. Olon1974

Olon1974

Sorry for the small off top, I just recalled that fashion for decorative harnesses, remember? Actually I have one set and it's pretty thick. I wonder if I could adjust it for hiking?

15. printlesswear

printlesswear

I carry my S&W 686 Plus with 357 in an IWB holster while hiking/camping.

16. Broken_Ankle

Broken_Ankle

IMO, th g20 in a gunfighters inc kenai chest rig is about as close to perfection as you can get. I use one hunting, fishing, snow machining and backpacking. It never gets in the wayz

6.8KLR and rangerjd like this.
  17. Ohsheepdog

Ohsheepdog

I use both the chest and waist straps on my backpack. I've found the easiest and lowest profile way to carry is an old, dorky fanny pack. I have a small canvas one from Bianchi for the PM9 and a nylon one for the FNS 40. Both have a slot for a spare mag and a pocket for snacks, med kit, etc.

I strap it on before I put on the backpack and wear it above the backpack's hip strap. I can drop the backpack and still have the fanny pack. And not one person has given it a second look when worn with the backpack.

I couldn't wear an IWB/OWB with the hip strap. On day hikes without a backpack I use an AIWB.

18. Mayonator

Mayonator

I just wear an outside the waistband holster cross-draw, mainly so I can carry my rifle slung over my right shoulder without banging the stock on the butt of my pistol. I guess it wouldn't work too with carrying a big pack with the padded part that rides on yr hips, unless you could figure out a way to get a holster attached to that. I guess that's why they make those chest rigs. Looks like it would work.

19. rangerjd

rangerjd

I carry my pistol with me when I'm bow hunting or hiking for bear protection primarily. I'm not sure how fast you could get a weapon out if you needed to with a fanny pack. I have seen a couple of conceal carry fanny packs designed for quick deployment, but I can get to my chest holster pretty quick and I know right where it is at at all times. I wear it fairly low where it sits under the chest strap of my rucksack, but higher than my waistband. Sometimes those fanny packs shift around while you're moving.

20. Ohsheepdog

Ohsheepdog

Sounds like I wear mine a little lower than yours. It's probably 3 inches above my hips which places it just above the hip strap. I've practiced with the same packs over the years I can get to it within the same amount of time as drawing from a concealed holster from my hip. Then the backpack itself keeps it from moving. It was very steady when we went to Red River Gorge back in September regardless of the terrain.