Best Camping Tents

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Claypool, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Claypool

Claypool

2. Tvov

Tvov

Is this like "car camping" in a campground, or hiking and camping?

Ozark Trail products at Walmart have gotten surprisingly good over the years, but Kelty has a long history of making quality tents.

Normally I wouldn't consider Ozark and Kelty to be in the same league, let alone the same time zone.

If I was hiking the Appalachian Trail I would definitely choose Kelty. A weekend campout at a nearby state park - the Ozark Trail would probably be just fine.

So, having said all that, I actually have zero experience with either tent!

bruscifer likes this.

3. papershoot

papershoot

4. George Kaplan

George Kaplan emeritus

5. BC42

BC42

Most tents are pretty good these days so get whichever one has the features you're looking for. 2 things I would strongly suggest is a footprint and seam sealer. The footprint is just a plastic sheet that goes underneath the tent when it's set up. The seam sealer is so your tent doesn't leak when it rains. All tents will leak despite claims of being waterproof.

One other tip is never fold your tent when storing in the bag. It will cause creases that will eventually turn into a hole. Just stuff randomly into the storage bag.

6. LAWDOGKMS

LAWDOGKMS

B6A90FC0-DAE5-40F9-B36A-B25E64E6229F.jpeg If you’re not back packing, once you sleep or one of these you’ll never wanna sleep on the ground again. Nor will you ever want to actually set up a tent..

It unfolds like a 3 panel beach chair and just as fast..

If camping from your vehicle, this is by far the best way to go..

I will drive down to the keys, go diving, shower off at the dive shop, park at the across the highway (dirt) overflow parking for Jimmy Johnon’s Big Chill (backs up to woods). I walk my tent a few yards into the woods, unfold it in 30 seconds (preloaded with pillow and military poncho liner blanket) and walk over to Jimmy J’s.. I am not the least concerned that someone will find my green tent cot in the jungle like foliage at twilight or later..

A sunset dinner, many drinks and multiple hours later, I walk to my cot in the woods, I sit on the edge of that cot, kick my shoes off, zip up and sleep like a baby..

Many dinero’s saved over a multiple hundred dollar hotel room..

https://www.morclothes.com/kamp-cot-double-tent-rite

No that’s not me in the pic, but a good representation of my experience..

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    syntaxerrorsix likes this.
  7. timdraper90

timdraper90

I havent been to both of them but I have tried the MoKo Instant Cabin in one of my metal detecting ventures. Its quite comfortable inside. I havent experienced any water leakage despite the heavy rain that time. It also has enough room for you to move around.

8. cheygriz

cheygriz God Bless Trump

The best tents by far!

tipi.jpeg

9. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

jstrange and Ofc.JL like this.
  10. Ofc.JL

Ofc.JL

For backpacking, North Face tents. Best lightweight tents out there, IMHO. For family over the weekend, Ozark Trail are just fine, they are, as has been mentioned, pretty decent for the money.

11. jstrange

jstrange

What is this one called? I can’t get the link to open.

12. Wake_jumper

Wake_jumper Don't Jump!

Those things are huge! Might as well bring a house. They will be crazy heavy and probably difficult to set up. And will probably blow down in a strong wind.

Maybe you could look at two tents, one for the kids and one for mom and dad.

Eureka tents kept me dry and comfortable for years when my son and I were in the Boy Scouts. We camped in every kind of weather.

This is the new version of the one that I have. It's a four person, called a Tetragon 4. Very roomy for two adults... and you could fit two kids if you wanted to. It has a large fly that covers most of the tent which is essential in bad weather. And it's tall enough to stand up in. One person can easily set it up/ take down.

Family camping is great fun!

https://www.eurekacamping.com/?_ga=2.143179443.789862199.1586358553-1177856122.1586358553

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    papershoot likes this.
  13. Wake_jumper

Wake_jumper Don't Jump!

This might be just the ticket for the kids... (if you have one or two). It is very similar to the tent I carried for 10 days in the mountains of New Mexico.
    [​IMG]

https://www.kelty.com/grand-mesa-2/

14. sourdough44

sourdough44

Always good to be off the ground some, air mattress is better than a foam cushion.

BC42 likes this.
  15. cheygriz

cheygriz God Bless Trump

The beauty of the tipi is that it will withstand gale force wind, and you get to have your campfire inside.

16. George Kaplan

George Kaplan emeritus

17. George Kaplan

George Kaplan emeritus

Problem I have with air mattresses is that the air in the mattress is about the same as ambient. If it's cold out, so is what you're sleeping on and vice versa.

18. BC42

BC42

The function of the air mattress is to keep you off the ground which will suck the heat from your body much faster.

*Edit*
    I've slept in 30°F with a 20°F sleeping bag and 1.5" thermarest air pad but it has some thermal protection. It was cold but not uncomfortable.