Glock Talk banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts
I take my Springfield M6 Scout .22/.410 O/U for funsies and my S&W 13 .357 for everything else.

Hunting rifle (7mm Mag) and Bow (Mathew Monster 7.0)
Side arm 1911 when I am out hunting or at camp.
When I get my Coonan 357, it will replace my 1911 as my camp and hunting side arm.

Something cheap, that you won't mind getting a little rusty. Something tough and powerful. Like a cut down single shot. $50 sounds like a awesome camp gun.

...IF I had a lever action in .357 to go with my Dan Wesson revolver perfect match IMO.
Hear that! I don't know if I'd stop bringing the M6 though. I might have to do away with some other gear to fit the lever gun in the weight limit. I can't wait till the kids are old enough to pack with gear like a sherpa, lol.

Something cheap, that you won't mind getting a little rusty. Something tough and powerful. Like a cut down single shot. $50 sounds like a awesome camp gun.
I bought 3 H&R/NEF single shots, in various conditions, for around 150-170 total.
Barrels were cut down to a handy but legal length, the front sight was reinstalled and a HiViz fiber optic sleeve was slipped over the barrel. A set of sling swivel studs and a slip on neoprene shell holder later and bang, a perfect camp gun that doesn't get screwed up if the gun goes over when your canoe tips (having a line attached through the rear sling swivel stud keeps it from being lost in one of the famous internet "boating accidents").

ETA- I gifted the guns to my brothers and a good friend. I have yet to make one of my own.

Hear that! I don't know if I'd stop bringing the M6 though. I might have to do away with some other gear to fit the lever gun in the weight limit. I can't wait till the kids are old enough to pack with gear like a sherpa, lol.
yeah ive wanted one for years maybe THAT will be my next buy cant beat something that can take .38 special or .357 in a snubby,regular length revolver and a lever action long gun..and for the most part with me being in PA and nothing bigger than small to medium size black bears(yes now and then they WILL get a 600+ pounder around but thats RARE) .357 out of a lever action and even a 4" revolver is good. But till I get that the 870 pretty much out to 100 yds with a rifled slug barrel is a jack of all trades from pests(with low brass shot) to eating/food(with regular hunting rounds) to self defense with buckshot out to 40 yds or so, and then slugs out to 100 yds .

It varies, depending on my whim and how much hiking is involved.
Last time it was a Ruger 10/22 Take Down and a Glock 20. Next time it could be a 260 lightweight bolt gun and the LC9, next time it may be my AK bullpup and a G27 ... whatever.

What I don't have but keep looking at, is a Browning Lever Action Take Down in 243. Intriguing. I know I want one. Question is when to click and order one.

Truck camping I usually find myself with a Marlin 1894 and a 4-5/8" Super Blackhawk in .44 mag. Always seem to have a 10/22 as well.

Backpacking is a different story - usually just the Blackhawk in .45 Colt or the Super Blackhawk.

Right now I hike and camp with a Kel Tec Pf9, but I'm shopping around for a lightweight compact .40 or 45, like the S&W Shield in 40 or the Springfield XD-S in .45.

While most of the time I'm just worried about 2 legged predators, my only other concern is if a Coyote, feral dog, or black bear doesn't "get" when you tell it to and decides you smell nice and it wants a taste.

Camp gun in Alaska, Florida, where?

41 - 54 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.