Glock Talk banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts
Savage 24C. Over/Under 22 LR/20 gauge, C stands for Camper version which this one certainly is. Weighs a little over 5lb and fits in a daypack. Stores 2 shotgun shells and 10 rounds of .22 LR in the butt stock as well. I keep one shrink-wrapped in my car emergency kit.
I had a savage 24 growing up, they are great guns. I had the 22/410. I like .22 as camp guns. They can keep almost any critter away, are cheap to shoot and pretty quite.

Sent via Mental Power

I have a .22 revolver we like to plink with.

I carry a G26 or something along those lines on me, depending on how "woodsy" the place is that me and my sons are camping in. Meaning, if it's a popular kind of camping place with lots of people the G26 is fine because all normal CCW concerns apply. If we are "out there" somewhere I might carry something bigger.

I always bring a Mossberg 590A1 with Brenneke Black Magic slugs as the first four shots with 00 Buck for followup. Would work on just about anything with any number of legs I would ever encounter in the lower 48.
http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/blackmagic.html

That stays in the tent with me at night.

(Exceptions Bigfoot, Swamp Apes and the Cupacabra of course. I would need a 10mm for that but I am afraid of getting sued for destroying 20 square acres if I should have to use it.)

I don't know if there is a best all purpose camp gun since like any type of gun it's hard to say there is a best all purpose anything. They seem to all fill roles. I guess a shotgun is one of the more flexible things.

I would like to have a GP100. That would be fun and useful.

Where is this camp?
Western KY?
A .22 would probably do, with my 27 in it's normal spot (IWB) for the 2-legged problems.
Montana?
12 gauge if I can carry it, .44 (and up) if I'm carrying my bow.

For me it is between my 20ga 870, or a HiPoint 995 carbine.

Hopefully very soon I will be adding a 10/22 TD to my collection. When that time comes, she will fill that slot.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

I agree that a CCW is not to be ignored when camping, but to me the category of "camp gun" refers to some gun that I probably wouldn't have if I wasn't camping.

I prefer having my AK along when out in the woods...

In the lower 48, I also like an AK for a rifle that is always close-by when I am camping. I do not have a lot of money invested in an AK. Aks are usually reliable and can take a fair amount of neglect and abuse. I can put a fair amount of lead into a reasonably small area at relatively close range and if need be, I can repeatedly hit something smaller than the broad side of a barn at several hundred yards. As far as a handgun goes, I prefer to carry a Ruger Alaskan 454 Casull in a holster and a Seecamp 380 in my pocket, just in case.

In Alaska I like to have a few 12 ga shotguns placed strategically around camp that supplement the hunting rifles. I also carry my Ruger Alaskan 454 Casull in a holster and a Seecamp 380 in my pocket. But I have been considering replacing the Ruger with a S&W 500 mag, either a 4”or a 5”, but I have not made up my mind yet on the barrel length.

RJ

In a more settled campground in non-bear country, usually my G23. In bear country, I may add a Ruger Security Six and/or Remington 870, depending on where I'm going and the local rules/regs.

WTH is a "camp" gun?
Well a lot depends on where you are camping and how you got there. That is why there are so many good choices that are already listed.

A short barrel shotgun if you are in a motor home, trailer or camper is a good choice. I had a Mossberg 500 18" barrel with rifle sights threaded for screw in chocks. You can handled anything from bunnies to big ass bears and two legged varmints. The down size you need to be able to carry it and all the stuff that goes with it. A back packer may opted out with a shotgun option.

I have several "camp" guns but if I were to have only one it would be a 4" revolver in 44 Magnum. For where most people camp in this country a 357 would be fine.

However I have a S&W Model 60 in 3" that I leave in my kit. A "kit" gun is not the same as a camp gun but close.

The main thing is if you are going camping and will be a long response time for a 911 call - take a gun.

BTW, I have a Marlin Model 9 in 9mm that is often referred to as "Marlin Camp Gun" that I have never taken it camping.:whistling:

21 - 40 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.