Best camo for Florida

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Aceman, May 2, 2012.

1. Aceman

Aceman

Looking at a shotgun (Mossberg 535)

I can get it in either Mossy Oak New Breakup or Mossy oak Infinity

Are they practically any different?

Would one be recommended more for Florida (and why)?

Should i just go with best price?

2. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

Wrinkly skin and a cane. Move slowly but deliberately when crossing roads.

3. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

From my experience of trying to be OCD and "match" my camo to terrain and to itself, just buy the most common and cheapest pattern for your region (and forget seasons unless snow is an issue).

I do Realtree AP and it has worked for me at all altitudes and seasons in CO and TX and VA. That being said, if I see a deal on MOBU pants; I buy em. It ain't gonna scare the game because your shirt and pants don't match.....

elk, deer, turkey, goose and duck have not seemed to have noticed the difference.

4. eyelikeglasses

eyelikeglasses Hooah, Hooah.

5. Judge Bean

Judge Bean

Isn't one a little more orange and the other a little more green? Since we don't have much fall color in Florida, I would go with the more green one.

6. Aceman

Aceman

Hey - I'm from PA. Jeans, a Tan/Green jacket and wood/blue gun was how we rolled back in the day.

I honestly don't see that much difference...

7. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Noway who lives and hunts and is woods wise there in Florida would have more insight than me..... But having spent some time in florida, "and jungle type atmospheres", I would suggest to you that in florida, a simple viet nam type camo Pattern, or tiger stripe, or reguluar standard camo pattern, all the way to mossy oak to other populur cammo patters will be totally perfect for you.... Use a lot of break up and green.

Noway may be able to better help you, but I think this is rather simple.... ;)

Just my thoughts for you, and what I would use there..

Bless ya good luck.

CM

8. K.Kiser

K.Kiser

No black hoodies.. Seriously, I've only been to florida a couple times, but I remember seeing alot of green and forestry like here in louisiana... I think even if your camo doesn't accurately match your immediate surrounding, as long as you silhouette is broken up, your very still, and holding close to natural cover an animal will often walk right through your area without too much drama...

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  9. 63bmechanic

63bmechanic

i hunt in florida using the large quantity of ACUs i accumulated over my time in the army. camo patterns are designed to fool the human eye not animals. the pictureflauge isnt any better to them than pink and black

10. GunHo198

GunHo198

For around town I would go with THIS pattern.

[​IMG]

:whistling:

11. flyfishrman

flyfishrman

Go with best price. There have been a lot of animals taken with blue and wood guns over the years. I prefer Camo shotguns as well, but more as a preference than anything. Turkey hunting is the one exception where I think any Camo that breaks up the gun outline is helpful.

12. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

:rofl:

CM

13. Jonesee

Jonesee

I live and hunt in Florida.

The majority of the hunting in the state is in pine forests and a lot of Long Leaf Pine. The underbrush in northern Florida has a lot of Wax Myrtle and scrub in it and central and southern Florida is Palmetto.

I use the same patterns as I've used in MIchigan, Missouri and Colorado. The patterns are pretty neutral and really all that matters is a pattern that effectively breaks up your shape. I have never been busted by the camo pattern I was wearing.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  14. noway

noway

Camo. I sometimes hunt with german and american bdus or acus, hand guns are satin finished, rifles are black ( non camo ) , muzzle loaders are any where from no-camo to mossy oaks. Bows are what the OEM installed on them. Do you need camo ? LOL

No!

you need to breakup your outline and reduce any dyes that might present your clothing that a deer might alert on.

I've killed every thing from squirrel to deer/hog with just plain jane what I have on at that time. Never bought into a "what camo wear that day" arguements.

What you do need;

you need to control your scent ( #1 in noway's book over any camo selection )

your motion and movement ( #2 in noway's book over any camo selection )

All of the above would be more of a (my) concern with regards to camo selection & in florida.

But if think you need any to match the environment, palmettoe flague would be the choice. Since most of the terrain south of hwy60 is a mixes of palmetteo, pine islands, and scatter oaks.

15. NBT

NBT

Pretty much what Jonesee said...and I know I'm new here...so take it with a grain....I have no proven record here. I use break up here and in WV when I Bowhunt whitetail.
    I can't recall a situation where my gun got me busted because of a camo pattern. Could see where a polished/glossy barrel or scope versus matte/dull finish might be of some benefit....avoiding the possibility of a reflection/glare....then spooking game.

Pigs you can wear jeans and a tee shirt and they wouldn't see ya.... that nose will bust ya in a second...no matter what your wearing. Can't say that a reflection would not go un-noticed though. Would be an interesting test....once the freezer is full.

Good luck, and have fun with it.