Best Camera for 1K

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by hickok45, Nov 26, 2005.

1. hickok45

hickok45 Millennium Member

Hey,

I switched over to digital photography years ago, but I've done everything with quality pocket cameras (Cannon Elph POwershot 500,etc) thus far. Great quality pics, but I'd like to get back to being able to take quality shots of movement (son plays basketball) and have better zoom capability. I guess an SLR is what I'm thinking about.

I know I'm never going to use my Nikon 35mm film camera again; I'd like something like it in digital.

What would the recommendation be for an all-around good camera in the $1,000 range, give or take a couple hundred bucks? Or would I need to pay more to get a nice camera with features I'd really want?

Thanks,
    Greg

2. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Sláinte !

I vote for the Canon digital rebel XT.

That's what I am saving shekels for right now.

;c ;c

3. Nicky D

Nicky D CLM

This all depends on what you are looking for from your camera. I agree with Trebuchet about the Rebel XT. But if you are really into photography or are looking to advance yourself I would recommend the Canon 20D. This is the camera that I have and I absolutely love it. I am a novice/hobbyist(sp) photographer, so I am still learning what this camera can do. For the money it has alot of great features and is 8mp. The camera is a digital slr, so the lenses are changeable. The 20D has been out for over a year now so you might be able to find a deal on them now especially since Canon just came out with a new model, I can't remember the name off the top of my head right now, I think it is the 5D?? Either way you can't go wrong. Good luck.

4. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I have an XT and love it although I may never figure out all it is capable of :)

5. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Sláinte !

FYI, the rebel XT is also 8 mp.

;c ;c

6. flatfender

flatfender TheCatCameBack

Get a Nikon D70 body since you already have Nikon lenses and can use them on the D70. The D70 is an AWESOME camera. ( I have 2 of them)

The D70s is a newer version of the D70 and has very very few different features . The D70 is selling cheaper nowadays since Nikon added the D70s. (Nikon is still making both at this time)

You can also get a D70 with a kit lens that's pretty good.

D70 review:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/

D70/D70s Side by Side review"
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...kon_d70,nikon_d70s&camsel=nikon_d70s&show=all

7. j doty

j doty

I agree with flatfender. Don't get rid of all that Nikkor glass! In fact, I wouldn't give up entirely on film at this time. I have 2 D70's, but I still shoot film (transparency, mostly) with my F100 and N80's. The dynamic range of film is still better for some applications, but we'll have to see what the D200 does in that respect.

8. Nicky D

Nicky D CLM

Thanks for the clarification, I forgot that the XT is 8mp;Y