close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best bullet weight for 9mm

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Ricky baby, Mar 10, 2017.

1. fredj338

fredj338

Btw, much below 125pf will require a spring change, maybe 13#? I run a 15# in my g35 w/ conversion bbl & run about 128pf. It is soft shooting, gun barely moves.

Ricky baby likes this.
  2. Ricky baby

Ricky baby

How do I change the recoil spring in a gen4? Do I convert the spring and guide to a gen 3?

3. 21 shooter

21 shooter

I like a Bayou 147 for IDPA and steel. For serious business I like 124 or 147 HST. The load with the 147 Bayou bullet is soft shooting. Having said that one of the folks I shoot with likes 115 bullets with fast powder, usually titegroup powder. He's hard to keep up with. A lot, as someone said, is the opinion of the shooter.

4. fredj338

fredj338

Can only have gen3 out here in kalifornistan, so not sure about spring changes. Something like this.
    http://www.rockyourglock.com/custom/JCGR-SL.htm

Ricky baby likes this.
  5. Ricky baby

Ricky baby

Thanks for sharing your knowledge Fred! Will get right on it.

6. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

7. OMCHamlin

OMCHamlin

I have to agree, my friends have all proved to me that a 147 can shoot "softer" and still make the same PF. And I know in many 9's, the 147 is the most accurate, but I happen to have a ton of 124 fmj components and so I plod on in mediocrity, although 124s do better then 115s in the accuracy department...

SJ 40 likes this.
  8. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

124 seems like the best compromise. 115 is the most common in stores and the cheapest but some brands of range ammo seem weak enough to give cycling problems. When I reload, I go to 147 grain plated HPs and load 3.9-4.0 of WSF for a soft shooting but reliable load.

9. Ricky baby

Ricky baby

I appreciate all of your advice and I just pulled the trigger (no pun intended of course) on downgrading the recoil springs with ISMI. I have been wondering why my cases would always fly forward. Now I know it was because the load was lite, the recoil springs were tight (or too strong) which made the slide close too fast for my lite load which made the cases fly forward. Is that correct thinking?

10. fredj338

fredj338

Sometimes. Could also be the extractor needs some attention. If a new gun though, should be ok.

11. fanplastic

fanplastic

12. sciolist

sciolist

For what you're asking, if 125 PF is your absolute floor, the 147 gr bullet is best. If you want to go below 125 PF, the 124 gr bullet will be better - but that's getting a little beyond the scope of normal function.

As a learning tool, sub-minor 9mm can be really effective, much more so than rimfire.

And regarding your second sentence, shooting "fast" is about removing time from your process. On splits and tight transitions, most of your time is spent regaining the sights. So all else equal, less flip = less time. But that's not the big deal. The big deal is that taking some of the flip away shows you how the live process can look if you mount and grip better, pay closer attention, etc.

Breaking your process down into components is how you progress. Figure out how to get half way between where you are and where you want to be. Be creative in how you use your resources.

fredj338 and Ricky baby like this.
  13. unclebob

unclebob

Since the OP stated that he does not care about PF. About 15 years ago when I switched to 9mm for GSSF. I went with the 147 then 135 grain bullets because of having to knock over pepper poppers. Since Glock did away with the pepper poppers and went with just a steel plate. I switched to 124gr bullets. Never could get 115gr bullets to work. Without having to worry about the PF I get light loads with WSF, WST, TiteGroup and VV N320. I even have one load using .380 100gr bullets. But I doubt they would work in a G34.You need a well worn recoil spring or reduced spring. Also other than my UL gun that is a G24 with a KKM 40/9mm barrel the rest have glock recoil springs.
    So if you don’t care about PF lighter bullets. If you care heavier bullets.

14. Ricky baby

Ricky baby

You are so right about the process sciolist. That is exactly what I am doing. I'm at the point where I am "tuning" the gun for the best loads. When I said I was not a speed freak I was referring to the velocity (some here are crazy about velocity and push the cases to the extremes). Once I have a grip on everything (no pun intended) and feel confident in all the processes, velocity will likely increase as well...Everything in time.

15. A6Gator

A6Gator

I've started shooting 165gr Xtreme's in my minor guns. Really shoots flat. Fred's right, I had to respring my guns, but they're 1911s, so not really a problem. Not sure how it works with a Gen 4 Glock.