Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I was wondering what is the cheapest, best bang for the buck "pun intended", sidearm including its ammunition? I live with my family as of now, and have some extra spending money for what i want to make my new hobby. Thanks!

·
Banned
4,850 Posts
Have you considered buying used? I've seen used Berettas for around 400$.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hi! I was wondering what is the cheapest, best bang for the buck "pun intended", sidearm including its ammunition? I live with my family as of now, and have some extra spending money for what i want to make my new hobby. Thanks!
9mm is the best bang for the buck as far as cost of shooting. What is your budget for a new pistol? Is it going to be carried often?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
9mm ammo was 15$ for 50, is that normal? And no, its just a closet gun i will take out to shoot every now and again. I just want something not sucky, but it doesn't have to be "great", just goodish. As long as its accurate, and fits in my hand, and doesn't fall apart. im happy

·
Registered
9,057 Posts
The Glock 19 in 9mm is just about the perfect starting pistol. Good for target shooting and concealed carry. No levers, safeties, or locks. Just point and shoot. Gen 3's are all over the place inexpensively priced since the Gen 4 came out. When you use the word "cheap" I picture a Hi-Point or Raven. You do not want those. You can easily get into a G19 in great shape from a private party (no tax and legal in most states) for well under $450. That is the least expensive pistol that I know I would trust. In fact one daughter and my wife each carry one.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Walmart sells aluminum cased 9mm for 9.97. It's great stuff. It really depends on if you want a small conceable pistol or something just to shoot.

My small carry recommendations would be
Glock 43
S&W Sheild (probably the best bang for the buck right now at sub $300 after a $75 rebate)
Ruger LC9S
Kahr CM9 $320ish

Glock 19 if you want something bigger.

Not an insult but most all pistols are far more accurate than you or I can shoot. I love Glock but they have been the hardest for me to learn to shoot accurately due to the trigger. Kahrs for me have the sweetest trigger.

Gun Firearm Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Get a 19 and a bunch of those $10 a box aluminum cartridges, and you're in business. You probably WILL want to go to the local ranges, or river bank or some place like that and shoot for fun. G-19 is the multi-purpose pistol for ya. Get one of those GlockStore $35 holsters and matching mag carriers and you are ready for about anything. That Gen 4 gun comes with 3 magazines, adjustable grip size, and works really well. This may not be such a "closet gun" afterall. I'm tellin' ya!

·
Registered
9,057 Posts
www.unammo.com
Check often as his stock continually changes. He only sells by the case, but you can certainly get better brass ammo than the aluminum. His shipping rates are very fair also.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
Oh look, a new guy, coming in here and NOT being controversial! It's as rare as a unicorn crapping skittles...
Seriously TUG, welcome to Glock Talk and I would look around hard for a clean, used Glock 19, Gen 3. 9mm is cheap ammo, the Glock is a lifetime quality product and you can find them at a decent price if you look around for a while. Find a knowledgeable gun dude friend locally and have him go with you and help check it out.

·
Registered
345 Posts
www.unammo.com
Check often as his stock continually changes. He only sells by the case, but you can certainly get better brass ammo than the aluminum. His shipping rates are very fair also.
To date I've shot well over 5000 rounds of federal aluminum. I've had one light strike on a primer and that's it. I honestly wish they'd load HST in them.

·
NRA Life Member
5,904 Posts
Welcome to Glocktalk! Obviously a Glock would be a high recommendation, but if $400 to $500 is out of your price range, a S&W or Ruger as others have said are nice quality pistols that have great deals going now for around $300. Either would likely last you a lifetime with care and maintenance. I would not go cheaper than that even if you have to save up a while longer. And yes, I would stick with 9mm.

Best of luck!

·
PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia
11,824 Posts
There are a ton of great deals and good rebates right now.

There's no reason to buy anything less than a good pistol by a mainstream manufacturer.
Agreed...I just picked up another Shield after reading about the rebate here on GT...about $295 all-in...very affordable price for a quality piece well suited for a student ( in my opinion)

·
Registered
12,597 Posts
There are some Police Trade in Sigs on Gunbroker for around $250-$400. The recent SW shield rebates are worth looking into as well.

Reactions: janice6

·
Banned
4,877 Posts
No one has suggested starting out with a .22LR? Much cheaper ammo. Develop good shooting habits with little recoil. Fun to shoot/plink. Look at a Ruger Single Six or if you want semi-auto, find a used Ruger Mark II. Or look at other manufacturer's offerings.

·
Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer
118,316 Posts
If you feel you can't afford over $400 for a Glock (although you should)
If you feel you can't afford over $300 for a Shield or LC9S
If you want a large 9mm with higher capacity, S&W SD9VE on sale under $300 would be a great beginner's choice, as a larger 9mm pistol is easy to shoot.

If you feel you can't afford much more than $200, the most popular concealed carry choice might be the Ruger LCP for about $199. Less fun to shoot, but it's what many really carry.

There is also a newer LCP-II but it's more like $275. In the long run it would be cheaper to get a 9mm instead of a .380 due to ammo prices, if you shoot a lot.

Compare this Ruger LC9S in 9mm to the LCP in .380 if you want a pocket pistol (you will at some time, perhaps for your second gun):

1 - 20 of 88 Posts