Best book for a new pistol owner

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by Mike_K, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Mike_K

Mike_K Guest

Whatsup guys? What do you believe would be the best book for a new pistol owner? I have heard great things about Mas Ayoob's "In the gravest extreme", Jeff Coopers "To ride, shoot straight, and Speak the truth", and David Kenik's "Armed response". Any opinions on these books?

By the way, technically I'm not a pistol owner. I'm 17 and therefore it is my Dad's gun, but I will be shooting it often at the range. We haven't bought it yet (looking at a G19 or G23), but we own plenty of guns as it is.

Thanks for any advice.

2. SBD

SBD

Hey Mike, I'm a new pistol owner and a new CCP owner. I bought some Massad Ayoob books because I carry my pistol. I'm not sure if any of his books are for "pistol owners" any more than they are for "pistol carriers." In other words, I get the impression that most (if not all) of his books are geared towards defensive shooting situations.

I have The Truth About Self Protection, Stressfire Vol. 1, In the Gravest Extreme, and The Ayoob Files.

3. seamus

seamus Guest

I've always believed that "In The Gravest Extreme" should be required reading for anyone seeking a carry permit.

4. Oak Hill Glock

Oak Hill Glock

+1 for "In the Gravest Extreme"

I've read quite a lot and believe that was the most serious and comprehensive.

5. armedcitizen

armedcitizen

Another vote for In the Gravest Extreme.

I've never been a fan of Cooper's writing.

6. Deradius

Deradius Green/Marksman

"In the Gravest Extreme" by Mas Ayoob
    "Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery" by Mas Ayoob

An exhaustive reading and re-reading of your local laws on firearms use.

...That's all I've managed so far. This thread will be instructive for me as well.

7. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Anything written by Jeff Cooper: umm....

Put it this way. He was a very educated (college professor I believe), well written man. Had more life experiences than most will ever achieve, and can tell about them. He DOES have his firm opinions on what works and doesn't due to those experiences. Worth reading anything he writes if you keep this in mind. He literally invented modern combat pistol shooting along with some others now long gone. However, he's also "old school". He dislikes the 9mm, 5.56, assault rifles, etc. He understands they're not going away, but he has his preferences (larger caliber weapons primarily).

To Ride, shoot straight and speak the truth is written in the 80s, and has a mix of shooting, stories, etc about things in general. A good read for a high schooler and it'll teach you a little history in the mix.

As a pistol book: Combative Fundamentals by Jeff Gonzales. Retired Navy Seal, current pistol instructor and carbine instructor, it's all about the fundamentals. Drills, exercises, what to and not to do, etc for the 1911 and Glock primarily (though these are relevant for other models). It's not a cheap book but well worth it.

Anything written by Andy Stanford is generally good. I've taken a class under him and he knows his stuff. Surgical Speed Shooting and the others are good reads, fairly inexpensive and well written.

8. WAPS

WAPS Guest

Check out mine "Welcome to the Real World, A Dangerous Place to be Caught Unprepared!" at:

www.wttrw.com

Be Safe

Bryan S. Williams
    President / Chief Instructor

Williams Associates Protective Services, LLC
    www.wa-protective.com
    www.wttrw.com

9. stormbringerr

stormbringerr What Now?

read (thank god i had a gun)by chris bird. nineteen real situations of ordinary everyday people that had to use a gun for self defense.:thumbsup:

10. thominator

thominator

The Basics of Pistol Shooting published by the NRA is a great read for a new pistol owner. I bought one used on Amazon for around $5.00. It was published in 1991 and just to give you a taste of the book, the chapters are:

-Pistol Parts and Operation
    -Ammunition
    -Using a Pistol Safely
    -Operating a Pistol
    -Cleaning, Storing, and Transporting a Pistol
    -Shooting Fundamentals
    -Shooting Positions
    -Improving and Maintaining Shooting Skills
    -Buying a Pistol
    -Common Shooting Errors

And other Appendixes have stuff on the NRA.

Anyway, I was a new shooter as of last year, and this is the first book I purchased, and it helped me tremendously.