Best bang for your buck sharpener

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by Gilbertc13, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Gilbertc13

Gilbertc13

Hey guys, my search function isn’t working. I’m looking for an entry level sharpener. I don’t really know anything about sharpening knives and plan on using a few of my beaters to practice in before I move on to my ZTs and my bug out. I understand different blade steels will lend themselves to different difficulties while sharpening. One of my friends told me to just use a stone, if I go that route what one? Not trying to drop the money for a wicked edge just yet. Most of my blades are D2, S30V and s35vn.

Any help is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. bdcochran

bdcochran

Let us start by getting rid of one myth. Although different steels take different times to sharpen, it isn't a matter more than spending a few extra passes or minutes if you know what you are doing.

Let us get rid of a second myth. I have ZT fixed blades and folders. You do not need to be constantly sharpening them unless you are butchering a Cape Buffalo a week.

The third myth is that REAL MEN only use a stone when sharpening.

The blade style (meaning angle) dictates how a knife is sharpened. If you don't understand what angle to use, do not start the journey with stones.

And forget about shaving your arm.

Low budget/remote cabin without electricity/quick job without set up time - go to a place like Bed, Bath and Beyond. Get a unit for under $25 that you hold with one hand and hold the knife with the other. There will be a slot for fine grinding and a slot for rough grinding. Will handle a cheap knife, a kitchen knife except a sushi knife.

The brand you mentioned is fine. Another electric option is one of the Worksharp models.

25 years old. If you have a wife, a girl friend, a child, if you don't make it easy for them to learn how to sharpen a knife, YOU will be doing it. Try not to be Mr. Fixit. So if you think it out, some day you will pick up a low budget , non electric unit so you can delegate.

3. Kentguy

Kentguy

For a good "entry level sharpener", pick up one of these either 40 or 60 degree or both - https://www.amazon.com/Redi-Edge-La...+Knife+Sharpener,+Black&qid=1587642556&sr=8-1

I have these in my garage and use them all the time. You can take these with you where every you go, great for camping or hiking, easily fits in any pocket.
    I agree with bdcochran, that's some really good, practical advice.

hrt4me and Gilbertc13 like this.
  4. redrick

redrick

The Lansky 5 stone deluxe is the sharpener that I use the most and I have a Wicked Edge and a Work Sharp KO .

5. GWG19

GWG19

I have different stones that work well. I also have ceramic rods that work well to bring the edge back.
    I have a belt grinder in shop that I use for axes and machetes.
    I recently picked up a work sharp sharpener. That thing flat out works.

6. benben

benben

7. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

First and foremost get a good sharpening steel. Most often a knifes lack of sharpness is because of a turned edge. Slapping it on a steel will get it aligned and back to sharp with those great steels you have.

A medium diamond Stone easily held in one hand keeping the same angle taking the knife across will bring it back to a razor after carving a cape Buffalo when it's needed.

hrt4me likes this.
  8. bdcochran

bdcochran

Absolutely! I still buy used knives from eBay and recondition them. A few passes through my original Worksharp and things are done.

One morning last week, I pulled out all the small kitchen knives and table knives - the ones piled up in the accessories drawer (you are not supposed to store knives touching each other, of course). Got the Worksharp set up in the shade. Had some 15 or so knives re done in the time it took to run 2 passes on each side of the blades and wipe off. Did not have to prep and clean either my Spyderco system or stones or free hand on the belt sander.

9. The Hawk

The Hawk

Another vote for the Worksharp knife sharpener. I bought one after reading a couple of posts on here. Good gosh, that thing really works well. I brought our kitchen knife back to the tomato cuttin' sharp edge it had when new with a couple minutes of work. Also put an excellent edge on a few of my EDC knives.

hrt4me and Spats McGee like this.
  10. peng

peng

Why would you want to sharpen a buck?

11. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

Get one of these. Learn the hard way first, then try all the newfangled stuff later. Odds are, you'll stick with the tried and true, used for generations Norton stone.
    [​IMG]

NoStress likes this.
  12. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich

hrt4me likes this.
  13. Beinglis23

Beinglis23

Whetstone is easy to use for me and also work fine for me

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  14. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

I think a basic Lansky kit is a good way for a novice to learn about sharpening knives...the only draw-back of course is the time it takes to use it properly...but if the OP has the time to expend, I think the Lansky system will serve him well

15. Beinglis23

Beinglis23

I agree with you it's one of best selling knife sharpener on amazon

16. walke121

walke121

The Spyderco Sharpmaker is my favorite sharpener by a mile. I have a Lansky system, one by Gator, and quite a few good Japanese stones. I got it because that’s what Chris Reeve suggests you use for sharpening his knives. I am pretty good at putting a razor edge on a knife but was very nervous the first time I went to use it on one of my expensive knives. Whatever sharpener you use just make sure you watch some videos and make sure you are using it properly.

I used to just pay a guy $5 a knife to sharpen my expensive knives before I decided to get the Sharpmaker. Here is the best advice I can give you. If you just keep an eye on your edge and don’t ever let it get messed up simple maintenance will keep the edge on quality knife steel. Steels like M390 are very hard and can take some time to sharpen so don’t rush it.

I don’t use my sharpeners that often as like I said I keep an eye on my edges and use a strop very often. I probably use mine weekly to keep my edges. This keeps that razor edge without having to worry about removing much material on the blade. Once you get that good edge if you just hit it with a strop every week or so you don’t need to worry with sharpening with a stone even with heavy use. This is one of my strops. I need to put some compound on it as I haven’t in a while but I probably haven’t used a stone to sharpen in 6 months. Even if you prefer stones using a strop to hone the beveled edge and it takes care of the burrs even the finest stones will always leave on the edge. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. MFC4

MFC4 Si tacuisses, philosophus manisses

Spyderco SharpMaker. It great for new folks and is still handy once you get the hang of it.

18. VIS07

VIS07 In Omnia Paratus.

I use the Lansky turn box. It works pretty good. I'm not an expert sharpener but it gets knives very sharp.

MFC4 likes this.