Best backstrap for small hands

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by sudo, Oct 18, 2018.

1. sudo

sudo

I have recently acquired a M27 Gen 4 with the back-strap set.

My hands are are somewhat small for a male, but my fingers are particularly short and stubby.

Which back-strap is best?

I'd like to use the beaver tail versions. Is the smaller beaver tail version larger than the smallest regular version?

Obviously I can try them all, but are there additional choices of back-straps available somewhere?

2. Deadduck357

Deadduck357

No backstrap is the smallest.

3. MikeG36

MikeG36 Have Gun Will Travel

None. With no backstrap you will have the shortest possible LOP on that pistol.

4. MikeG36

You beat me to it! :)

Deadduck357 and Paul53 like this.
  5. MikeG36

Troll? I have no reason to think so at this point. Seems like a new Glocker looking for advice. But, I guess we'll see.......

Redeemed likes this.
  6. sudo

sudo

It may be a dumb question, but I'm not trolling.

I didn't even know you could use the gun without a back-strap. Thanks to the people for this answer.

This is my first glock, but have been shooting since I was 8 years old and am 69 now.

I'm already a member of half a dozen gun forums, so if you guys would prefer, I can just not post here. I have plenty of places to get answers to my questions where I'm an established member.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2018
    RendFou and Redeemed like this.
  7. redrick

redrick

I would try them myself and see which one I like the best ?

8. MikeG36

Welcome to Glock Talk. I look forward to seeing more of your posts in the future.

9. ADK_40GLKr

ADK_40GLKr Adirondacker with a Glock

One curmudgeon does not make a hostile environment/

I too, have relatively small hands, (I measure an 8" target by spreading hand to max from tip of thumb to tip of pinkie), and use the smaller beaver tail back strap on my gen 4's.

But I do seem to shoot more accurately with my Pocket Glocks. Go figure.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    sudo and MikeG36 like this.
  10. Lawdog3

Lawdog3 " Fast is fine but, accuracy is everything"

To be clear, the back strap that came on your Glock is the smallest size grip. Any other back strap you install would be larger that the one that came on your gun. This is providing you bought a new Glock. Their easy to change out so you can try it for yourself. Good luck.

11. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Folks, if you believe someone is not genuinely requesting help with a problem, don't call them out on the open forum. Report the post and let us look into it.

12. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Please do not judge all GT Members by one member's post. We were all new at one point in time.

13. Elmoh01

Elmoh01

While my palm is average size, I have little Jimmy Dean sausage fingers, I have found that no backstrap works best for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sudo likes this.
  14. Bomber Nav

Bomber Nav

Welcome to Glock Talk. Don't go away, we're happy to have you aboard.

Disregard the disparaging comments.

PaseMkr and sudo like this.
  15. jdnewhouse

jdnewhouse

Welcome to the forums, and stick around...there are some super smart people around who will go out of there way to help you.

I think some of the confusion (based on your comment that you didn't know a Glock could be shot without a backstrap) is that the backstrap is not truly removable on the Gen 4/5 Glocks. The frame has a fixed backstrap that can't be removed. This would be the smallest grip available, but it does not have a beaver tail in this configuration.

The backstrap kit you should have received includes 4 extras backstraps that install over the frame itself and requires the use of the longer pin included with the backstrap set. The 4 extra backstraps should be a medium and large with beavertails and a medium and large without beavertails. If you look on the bottom of the backstraps they are actually labeled M (medium) and L (large.) See the attached photos for reference, but it's hard to make out in the photo.

In summary if you are wanting a beaver tail and have smaller hands then use the medium beavertail backstrap (labeled M.) If the medium is too big then you're going have to remove the backstrap and just use the frame without the beavertail. I personally don't know if there are aftermarket backstraps available in different sizes so maybe someone else can weight in on that.

Cheers,
    JD

Attached Files:

redrick and sudo like this.
  16. poodleplumber

poodleplumber

Yeah, welcome, OP. Some people act like their firearm knowledge was congenital, but the fact is we all learned it somewhere.

Like others have said, the smallest back strap is no back strap. Obviously, there is no beaver tail extension with that setup. The back straps change just by pushing the pin out, applying the back strap, and lining the holes up to push the pin back in. A small punch will help you do it easily. Not a thing wrong with playing around with your options and deciding which you like best.

I am not aware of any other manufacturers making back straps to fit Glocks.

Edit to add: jdnewhouse beat me to what meager contribution I had to make.

sudo likes this.
  17. jdnewhouse

jdnewhouse

Here a few more photos for reference of my Glock 19 Gen 5. No backstrap (aka frame only), installing the medium beavertail backstrap over the frame, and with the medium beavertail backstrap installed.

Attached Files:

sudo likes this.
  18. sudo

sudo

I should have looked closer before posting.

I just checked my Glock 27 and it has no back-strap installed.

So it's already the smallest size available. I'll just try it more as is. Then perhaps try the smaller of the two beaver tail straps.

My gun was bought used.

Gen 4 Glocks are not available to ordinary citizens like me here in California.

But we can buy them from a private party who is either an LEO (exempt from the approved roster), or brought the gun before when moving to CA.

In my case, the gun was put on consignment by a local peace officer.

19. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I run my G17 gen 4 without any backstraps added on. I love that grip, and I compared to a lot of guns when I bought.

For smaller hands, the Springfield XD (original version) has the smallest circumference around the grip and trigger, of any double stack gun I know of. My wife picked that, and she compared to a lot of grips. It is actually similar in circumference to her EMP single stack.

The way I measure these is with a string around the grip and through the trigger (using the front of the actual trigger that your finger pulls).

sudo likes this.
  20. PanzerSS

PanzerSS

Q? Is the grip on the Gen 3 smaller than the Gen 4 grip without any attachments?