Best Backcountry caliber

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Irelander, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Irelander

Irelander Glocker

I'm heading to Glacier NP in a few months to do some long awaited hiking. I've heard that you will encounter bears in the backcountry there. Not that I'm too worried about that but I will definitely be carrying during my trip and I'd like to carry enough gun to be able to take care of two and four legged attackers if encountered. I like to stick with Glock but I don't really want to go bigger than a compact sized Glock. I know a lot of you will recommend a wheelgun but no thanks. What do you think? Is .40 big enough or should I stick with .45?

2. Revvv

Revvv

If something comes close enough to you to become a threat, a .40s&w would do just fine. A .45 would do the same thing, just with a tad bit more punch.

Don't get me wrong, if a large enough bear that is bent on tearing you apart decides to attack you will have to have a well placed shot with any caliber. A 44mag is the ideal weapon of choice, but like I said, a .40 will do great if you can put the bullet in the aggressor's stop button.

3. Laramie In MT

Laramie In MT

If this is simply a .40 v. .45 decision, I'd think I'd want a hot .40 for penetration for bear. But I'll let the experts take over.

Been to GNP a few times, I think you're more likely to encounter a 4 legged threat than a 2 legged one.

All the wife and I have ever seen are friendly Montanans on vacation, hippies and tourists.

4. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

If I was headed for bear country and wanted to stick with an auto I would go with a 10mm.

5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

LOL.. 10mm!

6. hatidua

hatidua

Well, as realistic as that is, it just doesn't play well in a caliber debate. What plays well in these discussions is one-upmanship: poster A: "I carry a .44", is then one-upped by poster B: "Well, that's inadequate, I carry a .454", which is then put to rest by poster C: "Neither of you stand a chance, I carry a .50BMG".

That, is how these debates work, not actual experience.

7. Mountain10mm

Mountain10mm

The short answer based on your requirements is a G29. It’s compact and more power than your .40 or .45.

But...National Parks have strict rules on carrying of firearms. I don't know the status of concealed carry in National Parks. I think it is, or will be allowed in the next few months and only is allowed if your permit is recognized in the state in which the park resides. (Someone please correct me if I am wrong.) If I also remember correctly, part of that park is in Canada and obviously carrying a handgun there would a separate (and illegal) issue.

8. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

In the backcountry semi-autos are a bad choice IMO. Too much can go wrong, magazines break, internal parts can break.

I carry a .357 mag revolver in the backcountry, S&W 686 to be exact. .357 mag is more powerful than either .40 or .45. A .44 mag would be a better option if big animals are a concern.

9. Laramie In MT

Laramie In MT

Touche. I just don't know where to find an IWB for this?

[​IMG]

10. CBennett

CBennett

In PA where im at or pretty much anywhere East of the Mississippi IMO .357 magnum. I used to have a nice 686 that I had to give back to the original owner years back I want another one pretty bad for just this use.

11. Laramie In MT

Laramie In MT

The date was Feb 2010, I thought 18th, but I can't find it now.

The obvious ones would be over the border into Canada and Fed Buildings like Nat'l Park office, US Forestry/Ranger Station.

12. 2 Hawks

2 Hawks ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I don't think today's semi-autos are a bad choice in the back country or in any place for that matter. Look into the G29 or even a G23. Pick the right ammo for your intended use. .Check the local carry laws before you pack.. http://www.nps.gov/glac/parknews/news10-05.htm

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  13. Jeepnik

Jeepnik

Yea, well don't miss with that first shot cuz you're gonna need someone to put that shoulder joint back together for the second.

14. Jeepnik

Jeepnik

On a more serious note, "if" you insist on an autoloader, look for a Wildey, or an old automag. They are about the only thing that would really fit the bill.

15. Laramie In MT

Laramie In MT

Oh it's ok, I'm ambidextrous, so I'll get 2 shots off ;)

16. fredj338

fredj338

You rule out the best weapon choice for back country hiking in area where bears also habitate, the magnum revlover is king. It's not about firepower but horsepower. You are not going to land a mag full of inferior penetrating pistol bullets onto a bears vitals & get a stop. If you have to roll around on the ground w/ a big cat or bear, maybe you'll get one round off before your Glock jambs. A 4" 41mag, 44mag or 45colt are number one choices. A 10mm w/ 200grFP @ 1200fp is a decent second. You want deep penetration for heavy muscled bears. I wouldn't consider a 40 or 45acp for bear protection, but better than a stick.

17. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

My Super Blackhawk would be MY choice.
    But of the choices you listed, I'd take the 45, with +P ammo if you have it.

18. Jeepnik

Jeepnik

Ever dislocated a shoulder? You'd just be lying there making it easier for the critter to start munching. They don't usually wait till prey is dead before they begin to dine.

19. Laramie In MT

Laramie In MT

A guy at the range left me fire off a couple mags from his LAR Grizzly in .44 mag. Essentially a beefed up 1911 frame. Recoil was very manageable and I didn't have any FTF/FTE...but I'm not familiar w/ them or their reliability.

20. Laramie In MT

Laramie In MT

I'm just havin a little fun.

Yes...I've dislocated a shoulder. Bad brakes on a CR500 and I dislocated a shoulder and had a tibia plateau fracture. My right arm hung a an inch or more lower than my left...it was pretty useless until they popped it back in.