close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best B&W Laser Printer?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by GoGators, Aug 27, 2004.

1. GoGators

GoGators Stomatologist

I have just started attending dental school recently. Class will require me to print up large amounts of notes. I'd like to get a laser printer that will be reliable above all. I have had it with ink drying up, smearing, and being crappy in general. Any suggestions?

2. srhoades

srhoades

I have an HP Laserjet 1200 which I love. I've had it a little over a year and printed 5500 pages. They don't make the 1200 anymore, but the 1300 is the same thing, it prints a little faster and has a bit more memory. I think retail on the 1300 is $300.

If price is more your concern I've seen Brother and Samsung personal laser printers for around $80 after rebates.

There a quite a few 1200's on ebay with very low page counts on them.

3. potatoho

potatoho

On someone's suggestion here I bought a used HP laserjet off ebay. I'd used an HP LJ4 in the past so that's what I chose -- it's a real workhorse. Got an old LJ4M Plus with postscript for $110 shipped. You can find lots of them for $75. It was a little dirty (circa 1992), and didn't come with a toner cartridge. Had one jam in the first 50 pages but then I cleaned off some paper fuzz stuck the the rear roller and I've run 1K pages so far and not a single jam.

There may be some other crap wrong with mine (I recall there being something weird when I tried the single feed paper tray), and it being so old means it doesn't have IrDA. But it does have postscript and an ethernet interface, and the 600dpi is absolutely perfect on it despite it having > 283,000 pages. With the extra size toner I think it gets over 6,000 pages or something insane like that.

Maybe a new printer would work for you, but every fancy new one I got has let me down. I kept thinking to myself.. man, I never had these printing problems 10 years ago. That's because I was using an LJ4 back then! And not this Canon inkjet piece of crap that cost $40 for 50 pages of ink.

4. AZMAN

AZMAN Millennium Member

I picked up a Samsung ML-1740 about a month ago for $63 after a coupon and $50 mail in rebate.

I'm happy with it, it prints great text and ok graphics. Best of all it is cheap.

5. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

HP Laserjet 4 (it may very well have been me that recommended it)

It's still the standard of laserjets, is well supported by all operating systems I've tried and it does 600X600 dpi, good enough for really good graphics.

The DoD sells those things off regularly and you can find them at a DRMO auction, on Ebay and in almost evey computer store that repairs or rebuilds printers.

$90 shipped to my house without a toner cartridge. Keep your eyes peeled and you can find one.

Any of the 4 series, sometimes you can find a 5 series for about the same price.

DanH

6. GoGators

GoGators Stomatologist

7. potatoho

potatoho

Yeah you can get toner cartridges with 10,000 and 12,000 page capacities. I think the one I got at office depot was 6,800 page. Do a search (froogle.com or whatnot) for 92298A.

The network card on mine is nice, but the firmware is so old that it isn't compatible with Windows XP until I upgrade it. No problem, except that it is also so old that the HP upgrader for XP can't talk to it until I run the old HP upgrader which only runs on Windows 98. Heh heh. So I didn't bother. I only that if I want to hook it to the LAN and print directly from Windows XP.

8. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

I've got a cheesy P500 with mine as a local printer and have the machine set up as a print server.

I'm not sure how many pages the actual life of an HP LJ4 is. I've got friends with over a million or two million pages through theirs. I've also seen them die after a hundred thousand pages.

Good buy ;f

DanH

9. grenadier

grenadier

Once in a while, you may want to go to Dell's outlet, and see what they have available.

Also, look at:

http://xpbargains.com

and click on Printers to see what kind of coupons you can input. I got a refurbished Dell 1500-series laser printer for 65 dollars this way, and it came with a new toner cartridge.

10. GoGators

GoGators Stomatologist

My printer came in today. It is one awesome behemoth. Seems so well made compared to the $100 POS printers that they sell today.

One minor thing: There is a spot that gets printed on one side of the page every few inches, indicating that one of the rollers has something on it. Has anyone else had this happen? What is the best place to look for the cause? Even if I can't get rid of it I am quite happy with this printer.

11. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

The mirror is the first place to look for smuges. If yours is as predictable as you say, it's probably the roller.

Q-tip and denatured alcohol will take care of it. Make sure NOT to get q-tip fuzz on the roller or the innards. You can clean most of the printer without taking it apart.

DanH

12. ls

ls Millennium Member

A word of caution about working on printers, and this information if coming from a class I took a long time ago.
    But if I remember correctly, the drum can hold a large electrical charge, maybe enough to kill you, even when the printer is off and unplugged. You might not be in danger of touching the drum if you are only cleaning the rollers but I do not know for sure, so please be careful.