close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best auto for $300-350???

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by bigdough666, Jan 1, 2010.

1. bigdough666

bigdough666

A friend of mine is looking to buy an auto pistol in 9mm for somewhere in the $300 to $350 range. Looking for a NEW gun, still fairly reliable. Around here the options look to be the S&W Sigma, a few diff Taurus models as well as a few different Rugers. So i need some help giving him advise on which to purchase. My first instinct was a Ruger, but I need some opinions on the other options as well. The gun will be primarily in the car, but occasionally for carry as well. I would say 75% of the time it will be in the car. Any and all opinions will be helpful, thanksin advance.

2. TriggerHappy007

TriggerHappy007

My personal advice is to save an extra $150.00 and buy a Glock.

3. arclight610

arclight610

No experience, but from what I hear the Rugers are tanks. A bit chunky for carry though. Maybe a nice Makarov? its still 9mm :p

4. chauncey

chauncey

i'd definately get a Ruger over a Sigma or Taurus

5. jnewguyin

jnewguyin

maybe s&w sigma? they extended the promotion till the end of april. i almost got that instead of the glock for my first gun. I haven't heard any bad things about it recently. academy has it for 320 so you can get it for 270 or get two more mags and sell those mags and maybe get even more than $50 if you're willing to do more work.

6. jnewguyin

jnewguyin

yeah I agree with Rounder1106 Like I said, I almost decided on buying the cheapest descent semiauto i could find but I'm glad I decided against it. In my opinion, glocks hold their value pretty well so you have a good chance of selling it and break even if you decide to.

7. GAFinch

GAFinch

8. bigdough666

bigdough666

No saving up, he needs a pistol NOW, will buy one tomorrow.

No Makarov, he wants a new gun, and a little more capacity.

So Ive got one for Ruger, one for Sigma.

Thanks guys, keep em coming.

9. dcsamps

dcsamps

Stoeger Cougar - $399 at Academy. Your best bet for a 9mm auto under $400 (do a quick search and check them out)!

10. TriggerHappy007

TriggerHappy007

Well if he needs a pistol NOW, then flip a coin and pick one. You get what you pay for. I still say spend another $150 and get a G19. Your best value.

11. G26Okie

G26Okie

I'd have to agree with that. You save money now, but will get pissed later when the cheap firearm breaks/jams.

But if it simply must be that price, the rugers are built like tanks.

12. 2009Glocker

2009Glocker Right Winger

What about Hi-Point?:rofl:

13. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

I would vote Ruger p95 or S&W Sigma for a car-gun. The sigma is more compact. The Ruger is more beefy. Either can be expected to be completely reliable, but if there is a problem both have good customer service to make it right.

Keltec's are much more compact, therefore better for carry, but require more commitment/practice from the owner (prone to limpwristing due to light weight). KT's are my personal preference for carry.

I would avoid Taurus. In my experience, they have less reliability and to make matters worse, lousy customer service.

14. lee2

lee2

S&W Sigma

:therapy::brickwall:
    say it with me:
    friends dont let friends shoot smegmas..

15. raven11

raven11

tell him to get the tactical model

[​IMG]
    :rofl::rofl:

16. pangloss9

pangloss9

I'd buy a used Glock. There are plenty of "retired" police guns that have been carried a lot, but have far fewer rounds through them than my G17 that sits in my bedside table drawer. I can get used G22s for mid-$300s around here.

17. Petrie

Petrie

Ruger P-series hanguns are inexpensive, but they are not "cheap" or "junk." Your friend can get his hand on a Ruger p95 for $300-$350. I have had a Glock 22, an M&P 9, a Beretta 92fs, a Taurus 24/7 pro, and several revolvers, and the Ruger p95 is the one I kept. The P95 is built tough. Internals are very robust. Real accurate gun. It is a DA/SA with a decocker/saftey. It's all stainless and Polymer so you don't have to worry about corrosion of any kind. Check out the posts on Ruger forum.com. Lots have guys have 1000s of rounds without a malfunction. I personally had an issue with a weak extractor. Beauty part about gun is you can take out extractor bend it a little, reinsert it and your back in buisness. Slide of a P95 can be taken apart almost as easy as a Glock in case you want to deep clean the firing pin channel, firing pin, ect. The "Best Nines" website rates the p95 at the bottom of their list, but I got to disagree. Great gun for a great price.

18. Caladan

Caladan

Neither the Ruger P's or the S&W Sigma are junk. They work quite well, and will last just as long as anything else as long as you take care of it. In my experience the Sigma is the more accurate and more reliable handgun, and the ones I've used have been 100% reliable.

But -- there's a reason why they don't cost so much. The Sigma's trigger is heavier than the other more expensive handguns. Not *too* heavy, but heavier than what a lot of people like. The weight and grittiness doesn't bother me, but then again I can adapt to any handgun. If you expect Glock goodness for a low price, then look elsewhere.

If $350 is all they have to spend, then there's no reason to suggest a more expensive alternative. It's ok to get a Ruger P or a Sigma now -- one can always get a nicer handgun when finances permit....

19. mixflip

mixflip

I vote S&W SIGMA in 40S&W. I got mine for $150 from a guy who fell victim of the internet hate and he basically gave it away at that price. It hasnt had a single FTF and ironically it feels better in the hand than both my Glocks. I wont cry if this one gets lost or stolen but it will make the exact same size hole as more expensive guns.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

20. Novocaine

Novocaine

I'm a fan of P-95 in decock-only version. Not sure if they still offer it.