Best AR15 money can buy?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by manfred.n.1976, Nov 13, 2010.

1. manfred.n.1976

manfred.n.1976

Hey guys,

I know it's not glock talk, still most of you also own other firearms.
    I'm looking to buy my first AR15, and it better be the toughest, most reliable bloody gun money can buy [​IMG]
    It shall be:
    -between 16 and 12 inch barrel length
    -suppressor compatible
    -AND NO SEAR CUT!! (That's rather important, as sear cuts are not allowed where i live, due to possible full-auto-conversions.)

Those are the only things that i require.
    Until now i was planning on getting a HK MR223 (it's widely available in Europe), but it's lack of compatibility with most aftermarket accessories piss me off.
    So far it seems to be general consensus, that Noveske is THE best manufacturer, followed by KAC and Larue.

So can you please share your thoughts on which manufacturer has the best products?

Thanks for looking!

2. MikeinCincy

MikeinCincy

I would say Noveske, and I am all ready to purcahse one. I checked out their wesbite, but, don't even know where to start! There are so many different models. For me, it's between something made by Noveske and the Clot LE6940.

3. raven11

raven11

if money was no object

KAC SR-15 E3 IWS

7 Integrated Sling Swivel Mounts: 5 at Front, 2 on the Rear
    Integrated Rail Folding Front Sight
    Ambidextrous Safety / Selector
    Integrated "Picatinny Rail" Mid-Length URX Forend
    Ambidextrous Bolt Catch
    Removalbe Mid-Length Lower Rail
    Ambidextrous Magazine Catch
    Mid-Length (Battle Rifle) Gas Tube
    Hammer Forged 1:7" Twist Chrome Lined & Bore Barrel
    Gloved Finger Trigger Guard
    SOCOM Type Sloping Cheekpiece Adjustable Length Stock
    Two Stage Match-Trigger (4.5 lbs)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  4. IQof1

IQof1

mine of course!

5. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Not sure whose Kool-Aid you've been drinking.

Noveske makes some fine rifles but they don't make most of their components. For an out of the box rifle, Colts are always good.

If you are in Europe, LaRue will not export. Period. There is a single dealer that has a few of their smaller mounts in Norway, and they do not export rifles.

If you can't get a Colt or a Bravo Company, KAC does fine work if you can afford it.

6. ghostman1960

ghostman1960 Static Nomad

Spikes exports to the UK.

7. mixflip

mixflip

What AR15 is the best money can buy? Ummmmmmmmm I hate to break it to you but there is no one correct answer.

Some will say the HK416 because its being used by Army Delta and a few bearded men? But is that really the best gun for YOU personally? Yeah the upper is $4000 but hey its an HK-AR15. Its new, its HK sexy, its rare, and its military proven.

Whats the best vehicle money can buy? Whats the best food money can buy? The question is just to subjective and too vague.

If you just have to have an expensive gun to show off at the range when you open your gun case and have it mil-spec reliable...you cant go wrong with KAC and Sabre Defense since I believe both have ISO 9000 certifications. I know Sabre has access to government TDP's for its M16 and 50 cal contracts so thats a start? I am sure you will get all the oohs and ahhhhh you want with those 2 choices? There are other expensive top tier Ar's though and it will mostly be personal preference on which is really the best money can buy?

8. K. Foster

K. Foster

Ding...Ding...Ding!
    We have a winner!
    Once you get into the top shelf companies, you can’t find real evidence that this is superior to that. The best thing you can do is pick the one that has the features, service, availability and price you like.

Manfred
    You mention Europe, is that where you live? If so some U.S. brands may not be available to you. To save time and bickering, tell us what is available to you and we will help you from there.

9. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

What country are you in? What part of the rifle is serialized in your country? What is this "sear cut" to which you refer? Are you talking about this?

[​IMG]

If so you're pretty much SOL buying from the US. I just checked 5 different uppers of mine, all different brands, and every one of them has that cut. In the US nobody cares about that, only the NFA hole in the lower matters, so most manufacturers put it in on general principles.

Your best bet is to have someone in your country build one for you, or do it yourself, it's super easy. Read up on ar15.com for more info.

BTW Some Noveske's do have that cut. And, since they're heavily into the C3 market I would expect them all to.

[​IMG]

More Upper pix Way to research before chiming in guys.

10. manfred.n.1976

manfred.n.1976

You are correct Bushflyr, these cuts are not allowed. No idea why, really, though the spacer om the pic above might be a solution.
    Readily available are Colt, Oberland Arms, Hera Arms, HK and some chinese junk. US manufacturers can be imported via a dealer.
    Generally i simply want the longest lasting, most reliable AR i can get for my money. That's why i want a piston system, and an adjustable gas system for suppressed fire. Ambidextrous bolt- and mag release would be great.
    As i'm a civilian, semi auto is all i can get.

11. mixflip

mixflip

Man, if I were in Europe...I'd just get me a HKG36 or HK416.

12. manfred.n.1976

manfred.n.1976

i would, but full auto = no good.

13. boomhower

boomhower

If you want the longest lasting rifle then piston isn't the way to go. I'm just looking at it from a replacement part perspective in a SHTF scenario. They are all proprietary. If I am not mistaken the KAC suffers the same fate with their non-standard gas system. Get a Colt, Noveske, Daniel Defense, BCM, etc. They are all very very similar quality wise and you can't go wrong with any of them.

14. Bushflyr

HK sucks. FWIW, and I've built a bunch of AR's, pistons are the answer to the proverbial "unsaked question." They have their own set of issues. I much prefer DI. If you have to have a piston gun I'd get a FN or possibly the BM ACR, although I haven't read any real reviews on them.

If Colts are available locally, just get one. Be it the DI or piston. It's a good gun and only slightly overpriced. I think you're going to run into no end of headaches with that sear cut and importation issues. And in the end you're not going to wind up with anything better. If you were here, there are, arguably, slightly better options for cheaper, but any potential gains would be so incremental that they're not really worth considering.

15. den888

den888

I would buy a Colt...

16. mixflip

mixflip

Your joking right? HK sucks? and you are recommending the ACR? Are you serious? I am no HK fanboy but if you are an avid gun builder you should have heard what a disappointment the ACR has been. Over priced at $2100, 1:9 twist barrel, no chrome lined chamber and bore, no swappable barrel options anywhere in sight any time soon, receiver screws popping off (not loctited?), and the recent ACR recall.

17. Bushflyr

Please note the "possibly" in that sentence. The last time I looked at the ACR was when it was still called the Masada. It's an intriguing design. Tragic that BM screwed it up that bad.
    Someone more well read on the ACR has spoken.
    And, yes, HK does suck. And they hate you.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  18. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Of the choices you listed? Get the Colt.

19. crazymoose

crazymoose Nonentity

This is the correct answer. Bravo Company or Colt would be my second choices. If you want a rifle with a piston, get one that was designed to use a piston. Is the FN SCAR available where you live? How about a real SIG 550 or 551? Those are both very fine rifles.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  20. manfred.n.1976

manfred.n.1976

The FN scar is not available, unfortunately. The Sigs are, i just don't like them, they lack the modularity of the ARs imo. Does Colt produce piston ARs?