Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
finishes it...
4,709 Posts
can't say i'll ever get used to scent of slide glide on fortunate few pistols that require such.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a couple of cans of WW2 era rifle bore cleaner. It is probably turpentine or something similar. Very strong, foul chemical odor. But works real good at cleaning out dirty barrels, etc.

Wife doesn't want me to use it inside the house due to the smell so I clean guns out in the garage.

·
Director of civil unrest
13,948 Posts
For so many non-finicky guns almost any lube would probably be fine, so considering smell only…

What are your favorite and least favorite smelling cleaners and lubes?
If you want the stinkiest cleaning agent, mix yourself up a batch of Red's.
The best smelling in my opinion is a toss-up between Hoppe's and Outer's Nitro Solvent. Do they even make that anymore?

·
23,120 Posts
For so many non-finicky guns almost any lube would probably be fine, so considering smell only…

What are your favorite and least favorite smelling cleaners and lubes?
The old black USGI Bore cleaner was the best bore cleaner there ever was for cleaning corrosive ammo. It even worked for Black powder. But the smell, while it wasn't horrible, was so strong that if you used it indoors it was overpowering and would last for days and days.

Compared to that stuff nothing else really smells that bad, so for me I just want to use what's most effective. Break-free smells good and so does Hoppes #9 but I don't like "combination" Cleaner, Lube, and rust inhibitors and prefer specific chemicals for specific purposes. I like a bore cleaner that's a little more aggressive than Hoppes #9, but Hoppes is still useful after using an ammonia-based copper cleaner or lead solvents such as shooter's choice lead remover although the best lead remover are patches made from those Yellow cloths for removing carbon on the front of stainless revolver cylinders. those cloths are impregnated with a very strong chemical that can dull bluing if you aren't careful

My favorite bore cleaners are the foaming bore cleaners and currently my favorite lube is M-Pro7 and I use it on pocketknives and hand tools. My favorite rust inhibitors are Birchwood Casey Barricade spray and RIG grease. RIG is actually an acronym for Rust Inhibiting Grease.

·
Sinistram delenda est
477 Posts
Safari Charlie's has a citrus smell and works quite well.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts