Best and worst jobs you had as a kid.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Batesmotel, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Best. Gas station attendant. Old school full service. Uniform and everything. I had to climb on the tires to get under the hood to check the oil and other fluids. I did oil changes and even a few brake jobs. Hard work but fun doing grown up work. My buddies mostly cut lawns or painted fences.

Worst. Hoisting buckets of tar onto the roof of our properties then mopping it over leaks in the summer.

Second worst. Plumbing. Some of the rentals had tiny crawl spaces. I was little so I got to go under and fix leaks or broken pipes. Every winter renters would store crap under the houses and leave the access door open and the pipes would freeze. The work and cold weren’t too bad but I hated the bugs and mice. Occasionally a stray cat would scare the hell out of me.

FullClip likes this.
  2. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL

3. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

What did he make you do.
    Think that I would want to watch it.

G30SF/F-250 likes this.
  4. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    F02FB330-915A-49FE-BA34-AFBA3013E380.png

5. FullClip

Too ashamed to mention what he made you do??

Think there are support groups out there that can help.

Post the video here. I'm sure you'll get a lot of sympathy.

TGT and G30SF/F-250 like this.
  6. NewYorker

NewYorker

Best. None.

Worst. Farm hand. Thats kind of self explanatory.

deputy tom and Batesmotel like this.
  7. QuietAnarchist

QuietAnarchist

Best: Can’t think of any.

Worst: I worked at an apple orchard picking apples. We got paid by the bushel, which was this giant metal container that hung around your neck. You also had to move these tall wood ladders every 2 minutes to access different branches. Miserable work.

8. tacit mesa

tacit mesa

Worst: working a pig farm i.e shovel operator. Bacon is vengeance.
    Best: Ramp rat at local airport.

light-switch and FullClip like this.
  9. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Made a **** ton of cash putting up hay in HS
    Made a crapload of money working fuel tanks. Sucky job though

10. Mister Clean

Mister Clean

Best - When I was an 8-9-10-11-12 year old youngster, my all-time favorite job was selling donuts door-to-door on weekend mornings for a small, non-franchise, mom & pop operated, donut shop.

I did this off-and-on for several years. Showed up at the shop around 6 AM and they would give me 13 bags of donuts. Each bag held 12 donuts fresh out of the fryer. 4 bags of plain glazed. 4 bags of chocolate covered. 5 bags of 1/2 plain and 1/2 chocolate.

The deal was simple:
    - Sell all 13 bags, bring back the money . . . and the 13th bag was my salary/profit for the day.
    - Sell 12 bags, bring back the money . . . and keep the 13th bag to eat all by myself!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  11. Terry G

Terry G

Worst: Bicycle Paper Route. 146 papers to deliver in one day. They had to be rolled in a rubber band first. Winter was pure hell. On foot of course, in below zero weather.
    Best: Working for a small Radio Station as a courier in a Volkswagon Beetle.

TGT and Mister Clean like this.
  12. Mister Clean

Mister Clean

Ha ha!

WORST JOB

When I was in the 6th grade, I tried delivering newspapers on my bicycle, too.
    I say "tried" because I did not last very long.

Monday thru Friday two other boys and I would meet at the corner of X and Y streets after school and wait for a white pickup with a camper bed cover to drive up, slow down, and "some guy" that we never met or saw would toss out "our" bundles.

We sat on that corner in all types of weather: hot, cold, windy, rainy, etc. and rolled our papers. After a while you actually got pretty good at it. We would slide a handful of rubber bands onto our wrists and pull them down one-by-one to wrap around the tri-folded newspapers.

Of course on Sunday morning we did all this beginning at dark-thirty.

Even way back in those days, we were considered "contract workers" and received no salary from the newspaper publisher. We bought our bundles of papers (in advance) and even had to buy our boxes of rubber bands.

Our earnings/profit came on collection day. Mainly in the form of tips since the cost of a monthly subscription barely covered our out-of-pocket expenses. Many customers refused to pay at the end of the month for the newspapers that we had paid for on their behalf and already delivered. And many just flat refused to tip us.

The worst part of the compensation though was that a monthly subscription cost like $0.90. So half of my customers would pay me with a dollar and say, "keep the change".

KEEP the CHANGE?!?!?

That meant that my earnings for delivering their newspaper 6 days a week in all types of weather was . . . ten cents for the entire month!!!!

I quit that job after the first month . . .

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    light-switch and TGT like this.
  13. Dave514

Dave514

Best- the grill man at Ponderosa Steak House in the 80's.

Worst- Housing Tobacco up in a 110 degree barn after a morning of loading wagons with dew laden stick of tobacco.

14. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

Best Job: Feeding and taking care of a Horse that we boarded. My family rented a place that had a corral and a shed for a horse and some high school girl boarded her horse with us for a year an never rode it. so it was my horse for a year and I rode it just about every day.

Worst: Helping my dad paint the house that we bought after we moved out of the rental. I hate painting.

Not too Bad job: Pulling weeds in the bean fields on my Grandfather's farm in Iowa. The work wasn't that hard, but it gets hot and humid in Iowa in the summer. But I really liked that summer on the farm.

15. jconn465

jconn465

Best job. Working in a bicycle shop
    Worst job. Cleaning toilets at that time was the largest airport in country.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. jimcorbin

jimcorbin

Best and worst was the same. I was 15 when I worked for a local dept store. The best was raiding the food and beer sections. The worst was cleaning up the women’s restrooms. Nothing like using a screwdriver to pry off the blood soaked Kotex pad thrown against the wall, leaving a blood splatter like it was a murder scene.

jconn465, TGT and FullClip like this.
  17. hannstv

hannstv

Pouring concrete in the summertime. Worked ever summer, made good money (for a kid). Many high school and college jocks worked construction in the summer.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    TGT likes this.
  18. FullClip

Worst was haying..throwing bales onto the bed of the truck was bad. Loading them from the truck to the loft in the barn was really miserable.

Best was a part time gig cleaning up the US Customs livestock holding barn. Yeah...it was horse and cow poop...but it all washed off and paid real good.

19. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Philippians 4: 6-7

Best: Cutting lawns as a kid. This was my very first job.

Worst: Mom making me make up my bed........with no pay!

20. ede

ede

When I was in school anything to make money was a good job no matter how much it sucked. Put up hay, loaded turkeys, cleaned barns, worked in gas station, worked in auction house, mowed grass, and set up and tore down rides with the carnies.