close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best ammo source/price for 45acp JHP

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by G20gunner, Mar 31, 2010.

1. G20gunner

G20gunner

I've been reloading for so long that I was shocked to see the prices of commercial 45acp defense ammo. I wanted to get a couple of boxes for my G21sf for home defense, but man oh man are they expensive for 50rd boxes:wow:. They go from $45.00 on up. Anyone know of any online stores with decent 45acp JHP prices. I wanted to get a couple of 50rd boxes, one to run through my G21 for reliability and one to keep on the side for home defense. I don't want to spend over $100.00 for 100rds of ammo!!!
    Thanks for any help.

G20gunner

2. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

For some reason there is nothing on Gunbroker less than about 95 cents per round. 9mm and .40 can be found for around 60 cents.

At a buck a round I might as well buy Winchester PDX1.

3. G20gunner

G20gunner

You're right, the price for 45acp defense ammo is way out there:wow:. I can get 9x19 JHP for not too bad a price, but man the 45acp is rediculous. Oh well, I guess I'll have to get something. I think the 45acp is much superior to 9x19 for home defense, or any defense for that matter:supergrin:. I hope I never have to find out either way.

G20gunner

4. G20gunner

G20gunner

I see that Ammunitiontogo.com has Fiocchi brand 45acp ammo loaded with Hornady 200gr. XTP bullets for $27.95 for a box of 50. Anyone ever tried this ammo?
    Thanks for any input.

G20gunner

5. tyger006

tyger006

If you load, just get a good JHP bullet and do your own defensive stuff as well! Plenty of guys here on GT do it with no worries.

6. BleedNOrange

BleedNOrange Go Vols

Yes, its good stuff. I carry the 124gr xtp in 357 sig. they claim 1500fps. Not sure about that but it is hot and very accurate.

7. G20gunner

G20gunner

That's what I intend to do, I got 100 Hornady 200gr. XTP bullets from midway. I've got some nice Federal nickel brass and Federal primers. I've got several powders to choose from, but I think I'll use AA#2 powder. It seems to get me in the right velocity range.
    Thanks for the input.

G20gunner:wavey:

8. tyger006

tyger006

Hey no prob.

Good choice on bullet selection, I would love to hear how those work out for you when you get them done! I am thinking about a bulk buy of 180gr xtps for my .40s.

Lots of the guys on the reloading room of GT have hashed this over and over. Some believe that using once fired cases is actually better. I guess some have experienced case failures with new cases when a flaw was present in the brass. I have never had a pistol case fail on me shooting new or fired. I don't really push my loads to the uber-max, just up there close and that's good enough for me, so I don't expect any problems.

AA#2 should be a great choice as well. Lots of folks are saying that WST is a great choice for the .45 as well, but I have not used it.

Good Luck!

Tyger

9. G20gunner

G20gunner

Hi Tyger, I'll give a report when I get them loaded ang get to the range. I don't think once fired brass will be a problem. This particular brass is once fired by police officers at my range, me and my bro went and picked it up after they were done:supergrin:.
    Yup, this is the way to go. I refuse to pay those kinds of prices for boxes of 20 or 25. And with my loads I know I won't have any sqibs. I intend to hand weigh and inspect every round.

G20gunner

10. tyger006

tyger006

Look forward to the results!

11. 21 shooter

21 shooter

I really think that the only way any of us will get ammo at a decent price is to build a time machine and go back a couple or three years! :whistling:

12. fredj338

fredj338

This is a good round; not impressive expansion, but it does expand, & penetrates as deep as most 230grJHP w/ less recoil. It is what I carry in my lt.wt. Comm.