close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best ammo for GSSF tournaments?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Glockerstein, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Glockerstein

Glockerstein Mabuhay Shalom!

Wondering what's best for competition.

So what do you use?

Thanks.

2. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

What caliber?:headscratch:

Dan:cool:

3. Glockerstein

Let's start with .40S&W. :hearts:

4. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

In 40S&W there are a couple of choices. The Winchester 165gr Target/Plinker white box is a good choice and the UMC 180gr is also a good choice. I shoot my own reloads of 180gr X-Treme Bullet(formaly WestCoast Bullet)which are a little bit softer than the factory rounds.
    I hope this helps!
    Happy Holidays!

Dan:cool:

5. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i wouldn't use any WW white box ammo. i had some tumbling problems with it at a match out of a 27, but not from the 23 or 22. sent one box back to WW and their reply was there wasn't anything wrong with it, but if i were shooting it in a glock it might tumble. they did geive me a cupon for 20$ on WW ammo. they never bothered to refund the ammount i spent o nthe ammo, even sent the reciept to them along with the ammo and i had to call them to find out what they had found out about the ammo. the 20$ coupon might still be around here ,i know i'll never shoot WW ammo again.

all in all you'll see people at the matches shooting about anything and everything from cheap stuff to the high dollar defense ammo. shoot what works for you and in your gun(s). i've shot up a lot of blazer ammo at GSSF matches aluminum and brass case with good results. i tihnk the biggest thing you want to avoid is anything that will casue a miss feed since it'll add time to your score.

6. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

I was shooting the .40 about two years ago before I changed to a 9mm and you could find the Value Pack of Winchester in most Wal Marts ....I preferred the Federal American Eagle for accuracy,reliability and reusable brass. I also leaned towards 165 grain versus the 180...I would try to buy a case and would shoot this at most of the matches.:thumbsup:

7. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Ohhh sorry...I probably can speak for Dan and Ed as well as myself....I reload, and I know the other two Gentlemen do as well...Dan is one of my Mentors and Ed is a team mate....both Masters by the way...and they reload as well but a need occurs from time to time and we must purchase...Tony Clemens I believe shoots strictly factory loads but for the 9mm...he might chime in here or you could PM him.:supergrin:

8. Clem

Clem

Donna and I use factory ammo for all of our shooting. Unlike reloads, it might not give us the absolute best accuracy or least amount of muzzle flip & recoil, but for us it comes down to time & convenience. I used to be an avid reloader but really don't have the time or interest anymore. Working at a gunshop, it's much easier to buy factory & just go shoot (although that doesn't happen as much as it used to). With the exception of the latest San Antone match, we've used WWB 115-FMJ 9mm and WWB 185-FMJ .45 acp for match & practice ammo. At SA this year, still used the same .45 ammo but gave Speer Blazer Brass 115-FMJ a try. Accuracy & flip was about equal to the WWB; just got a better deal on the Speer! The ammo performed fine - just had a "loose nut" behind the trigger! With the way ammo prices are climbing, I might just have to get into reloading again ;) ;) ! Hope this helps. Tony.

9. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Totally roll my own. For .40 S&W 180gr RNFP Xtreme bullet with 4.1gr WST, Federal Primers and OAL 1.135. For 9mm 147gr. Zero JHP with 3.7gr N330, Federal Primers and OAL 1.155. Of course if you want a real powder puff then get a G37 .45 GAP and load a 200grFP Xtreme bullet with 4.1gr Titegroup, Federal Primers and OAL of 1.070. IF I were using factory ammo it would be 165gr for the .40 either Win White Box or American Eagle and same for 9mm.

I am not a Master Class shooter but have been shooting GSSF for about 6 1/2 years.:thumbsup:

10. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

For 9mm, which I use, the same as Festus,I like the Blazer Brass or the Winchester 115 grain. I also like the Blazer aluminum ammo. I have used UMC in the yellow box, and it's really accurate, but it's dirty. I have also used Winchester 147 grain, but not so much outdoors as in indoor competition if that's what I have handy. For me, Blazer Brass is my favorite.

11. weakeyes

weakeyes

Precision 125 fp& w231 9mm
    Bill B.

12. jobob

jobob

Just try different loads and take what works well in your gun, and is reasonably accurate. Don't do what I did - twice!

1. A couple years ago I took my G36 to a GSSF match to shoot the Major Sub division. I took CCI Blazer to shoot it, although I'd never tried Blazer in that gun before. At the match the gun absolutely hated the stuff! I could hardly get through a magazine without a jam of some kind. The Glock rep there took pitty on me and gave me a couple of boxed of WWB and allowed me to re-shoot. The gun functioned perfectly and I won Major Sub!

2. This year I took a G29 to a GSSF match to shoot in both Sub and Major Sub divisions. I thought I was smart and took UMC 10mm with me. I had shot a few rounds and thought it worked ok. Well, the gun was a jam-o-matic with the UMC! I tried everything to make it work, even locking up vise tight to prevent limp wristing, to no avail. That Remington stuff is just under-loaded and too weak to reliable work the double spring recoil system in my 29.

Moral: thoroughly test the ammunition you are going to use, in the gun you are going to use, BEFORE you go to the match!

13. Jailer252

Jailer252 Team TKW

I use Berrys 155FP with 5.0 of WIN231. This load is extremely accurate, more accurate that I can shoot it. It also makes the IDPA power factor of 125,000. Good luck.

14. Glockerstein

Thank you everyone. I missed out on the GSSF tourny last month and planning to attend most of the scheduled 2007 in my state.

It's good to be prepared. Keep adding some suggestions.
    I'm going try out the ones you mentioned...in moderation.

15. njl

njl

Blazer. It's cheap. It counts as factory (I've heard Wolf doesn't), and it'll piss off the RSO's that are brasshounds.

:)

In .40, for GSSF, I'd avoid the 155gr Blazer unless you're one of those people who just aren't affected by recoil.

Actually, since the price of Blazer has jumped to the point at which Blazer from Natchez is more expensive than Winchester 100 packs from Wal-Mart (9mm), I don't know if I'll be buying any more 9mm Blazer.

16. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Nice to see you think so highly of the folks working so you can play.

17. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

AMEN there Fireglock. I know a few of us who have volunteered many hours RO'ing in support of our play time and that kind of attitude makes me wonder why I do it. It doesn't bother me near so much that someone would use Blazer ammo but the "In Your Face" type attitude sure does. Doesn't show much appreciation for those who volunteer their time.

18. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

The lost brass goes to the club.

I don't know if that attitude displayed by "one poster" deserves any more comment than this::sad:

19. ede

ede Bama's Friend

what jim, don, and jerry said.

at lexington the ROs had to police the brass. from what i understand it's an enviromental thing, doesn't matter why i got near 2 buckets full. maybe next time i RO and see someone shooting blazer or wolf i'll not be quite as lenient (sic?) with my scoring, maybe even work in a procedural or two :tongueout:

20. njl

njl

For all you smiley-impared old people, I was JOKING.

Blazer was my standard range ammo though, back when I could get it for under $100/case (plus shipping).

Since the cost of Blazer has increased considerably, and I won't shoot Wolf or other steel cased ammo, I'll most likely be shooting Winchester if I make it to Orlando next month.