close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best all weather .22 survial rifle bolt action vs Ruger 10/22 and ammo

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by alfred10, Apr 9, 2010.

1. alfred10

alfred10

Whats the top of the line bolt action with rust resistant finish and stock that resists long term field exposure? Is laminate or pollymer better? How does the 10/22 compare to a bolt action? I want something that will run after my OTIS runs out of CLP. I want it to be as accuret as possible while being self defensive able.

Whats the best .22 long rifle round. I want it to feed a variety of guns such as auto hand guns like Ruger .22, Henry Survival Rifle, .22 revovlers, .22 bolt actions, and .22 auto rifles. Whats the best most durble round in .22? Where is the best place to buy a large quantity? Are there any laws regulating the ammount of ammo that you can own?

2. FreeAmerican

FreeAmerican

If a bolt action jams you have a better chance of clearing it over an auto. Just say'n

3. rockapede

rockapede

The most boringly reliable .22lr rifle in existence is the springfield/savage/stevens model 120 single shot bolt action. There is almost nothing that can possibly go wrong. It is not sexy, particularly fun to shoot, and definitely not tacticool, but if I had to pick a dead nuts reliable, accurate, gotta-work-every-single-time-for-years .22 rifle to feed myself and my family it'd be my choice.

To your query regarding quality .22 ammo: CCI Mini-mags are probably the best you can buy without paying a ridiculous premium for match ammo.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  4. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

Polymer will resist the elements better.

If you plan to run out of lubrication, a bolt rifle will be more reliable.

My recommendation would be something that isn't a "bulk" purchase.....such as cci mini-mag.

Wal-mart, your local gun shop, gun show, internet.

Not that I know of.

hog

5. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

For bone-stock reliability and great accuracy, the Savage single shots are impossible to beat. And with sub sonic ammo, that bolt gun will be very quiet!

But for less than $400 I have two 10/22, with scopes, that will kill squirrels and rabbits all day at 75yards and less. I use CCI Sub Sonics and Rem Sub Sonics for excellent accuracy and 100% flawless function. In a pinch, I can slap a 25rd mag in it and defend the homestead. The 10/22 may not be the best home defense gun, but it is better than nothing, and it is easy for a novice to shoot well. (Or give them to my wife and daughter in an emergency)