Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

A good friend of mine is looking to buy a firearm for her boyfriend. He is not a CCW holder so he will not be carrying this firearm. I have taken him shooting a good many of times, he has liked my sig's,Kimber,Glocks, and shotguns that I have let him use.

That being said she only has a budget right now of around 300$ mayeb a little more (he is a pretty well known DJ around here and she ended up getting him a bunch of DJ equipment already, otherwise the budget would be more).

I have not been keeping up with all the new pistols and what not that have come out over the past few years so I am calling on my fellow GT-ers to help me out with some ideas? I know Kel-tec and Rugers are had for fairly cheap out here. As well as maybe a surplus gun?

Thanks guys/gals!:cool::cool:

TL:DR- Friend wants to buy her BF a handgun for 300$ or slightly more, will not be a carry gun, what are some good options??

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Hit up the used market. Being a good friend, sign up for a Gunbroker account. If you have an ISP email, I believe it's free. I use gmail, so they charged me a dollar to verify that I was a real person, which will be applied to any fees I get for selling in the future. It enabled me to search for completed auctions, telling me the current going rate.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
For $300, P95
For $400, XD, or SR9

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will check out gunbroker. Yea I figured used market will be the best bang for the buck Im guessing. P95's are good reliable guns for sure!

·
Formerly retired EE.
14,625 Posts
For $300, P95
/end thread. No better choice for the money if CCW is not the objective.

At $400, I would lean very hard towards a used Glock 26. Like a Ruger Mark II, this is one pistol that every shooter should have in their collection.

·
Banned
8,027 Posts
Sig 2022 - 1 mag
Stoeger Cougar - 4 mags
S&W SD - 2 mags

Not sure if Cougars still come with 4 mags but at least two. The newer ones I've seen now have a rail. The SD has been re-released or a bunch have shown up in my area for some reason. Seen them new for under $350. All three are reliable medium size shooters.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
At the $400 mark the SR9 is hard to beat. My SR9c has been the best CCW as far as function and reliability for the money. It outperforms my G19 which costs considerably more. I've had zero problems with mine so far and Ruger's customer service is second to none.

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
S&W J-frames are still under $400. I think that's the best gun for the money until you move up into higher $ ranges.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Walther PPX is one option that's close to his budget, but I would choose a used Glock 17.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Awesome, thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have seen p95's and old steel rugers sell for fairly cheap new around here. Sadly there is absolutely no where in OH that I know of that will sell a Glock cheap now a days. Used and abused Gen 2's still go for 450 around here a lot because people are way overpricing things.

Sr9, J- frame, PPX, cougar and SD's are all not too badly priced around here though. I think I am going to look around for one of those and/or a Ruger P95. Once we find a decent used/new one I will definitely let you guys know!

Thanks again!

·
Nibb
4,183 Posts
What KIND of shooting do you do....distances...serious target shooting, or simply having fun punching paper...

Could be a factor in your decision.

I love the XD line of pistols as well as ...oh heck, I love 'em all...

I am out....( .22lr in pistol or rifle are TONS -o-fun..)...:cool:

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have seen p95's and old steel rugers sell for fairly cheap new around here. Sadly there is absolutely no where in OH that I know of that will sell a Glock cheap now a days. Used and abused Gen 2's still go for 450 around here a lot because people are way overpricing things.

Sr9, J- frame, PPX, cougar and SD's are all not too badly priced around here though. I think I am going to look around for one of those and/or a Ruger P95. Once we find a decent used/new one I will definitely let you guys know!

Thanks again!
$499 at sportsmans den, fin feather fur, and vances, I haven't seen them any cheaper for a couple years now.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts