Glock Talk banner

Best all-around Glock?

8902 142
I've been buying and selling Glocks and other handguns for about 16 years, looking for the Holy Grail ... a gun that is reliable, accurate, comfortable to conceal, low profile for reduced printing, provides high capacity, and usable for home defense at night (in other words, capable of simply attaching a weapon-mounted-light in the evening and easily removed in the morning).

So far, I've found the Model 26.5 to check most of the boxes, although the WML is a bit of a challenge, unless I want to dedicate the gun with a Streamlight, or take a few minutes each evening to screw on a ReCover Tactical frame rail adapter and mount an Olight Mini PL-2 Valkyrie light. I like the brighter light produced by the Olight.

I'm wondering about the G43 MOS as a possibility. However, I have some concerns about it. With the G43 and G42, my high right thumb grip has a tendency to press up on the slide catch release, preventing reliable lock back of the slide. Guess I'd have to handle a G43 MOS to see where my thumb lands to answer that question. My other concern is that the apparent offering for 15-round magazines (forget the name now) requires a steel mag release, which can wear down the stock polymer Glock mags over time.

My go-to handgun for deep concealment is a j-frame 642 or 637 with a factory-bobbed hammer.

Any experience would be appreciated.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
23,838 Posts
I would say either a 23/32 or a 27/33 for their modularity.

You can switch calibers with a barrel swap and increase capacity and grip size with mags and sleeves.
I had a Glock 19 and it was my my first Glock. the first Glock I ever shot was a Glock 17 back in the late 90's and I didn't like it and I was mostly interested in a 10mm Glock because at teh time I carried a lightweight Colt Commander and much preferred calibers that started with the number 4 though I thought 9mm was OK.

But not long after getting teh G19, I learned that could get teh exact same size gun an a caliber that started with the number 4, and balistics were similar to the 45. so a Glock 23 was the perfect replacement for the Colt Commander!

But that's not all. Having learned that I could get a top quality KKM conversion barrel for my G23, I saved all my 9mm magazines incuding a Korean 50 round drum mag and a couple of 33 round fun sticks and bought the conversion barrels so I could shoot the cheaper 9mm ammo. unfortunately there isn't any cheap 9mm ammo anymore but I still have the capability to shoot 3 different calibers after gettng a G32 factory barrel.

And that's what makes the G23 the Best All-around Glock, not only because of it's versatility, but became for me, it's the perfect size Glock.
Cartoon Facial expression Organism Gesture Sharing

·
23,838 Posts
The “best” Glock(s) would consist of a combination of the Gen 5 19 and 26. Both!! Weather, clothing, location will depend on which you take. The obvious of magazine compatibility and such. Every Glock enthusiast must have at least one of each of these.
I don't think the Gen 5's are that much of an improvement over previous generations except for the removal of the finger grooves. I prefer the Gen 3's and I can remove the finger grooves myself.

But I do think the G19 is the perfect size unless you go to a single stack like the G43x.
Cartoon Gesture Sharing Art Humour

·
23,838 Posts
I know what you mean about the Gen 3. I also am ok with the Gen 4. But.. to me the Gen 5’s are a vast improvement. At least to me they are. I prefer them over all other previous generations.
I'd be curious to know what you consider to be better about them. I think they changed a couple of internal springs to ones that were supposed to be better, but the changes they made were not to anything that was ever a problem in previous generation guns that have fired many thousands of rounds. The ambi Safety was somersetting that some Left handed people liked, but not everyone, and a lot of people have modified the ambi safety to be left-hand only or right hand only and it 's a simple modification that doesn't eave a big gap in the frame notch.

Anothr thing I don't like about the Gen 5's is something they may have fixed, but the first Gen 5 "Marksman" barrels had too short of a chamber throat and were fussy about what ammo they would feed, while previous generation barrels would feed EVERYTHING and were not that much less accurate. I considered this not an improvement but a very bad trade off.

Glock should offer the guns as Left hand only, or right hand only, OR ambi from the factory just as they should more customer friendly and also offer their guns with or without forward slide serrations. The other thing Glock did with the gen 5's was that on the 40 caliber guns they made the slide large and heavier. That would have been OK on the full size G22 becaseu that's aduty gun made to be carried OWB. But the G23 and G27 are meant to be carried IWB and they're already pretty thick and heavy for that purpose and every fraction of an inch and fraction of an ounce addd to a concealed carry gun makes a significant difference.

Those are my 3 major beefs with the Gen 5's because of my own personal preferences. The ambi safety, the "mandatory" forward slide serrations, and the bigger, chunkier compact and sub-compacts in my preferred defensive caliber, the 40 S&W. So what are your reason for liking the Gen 5's?

·
23,838 Posts
Same here. I have a couple and have had many. New G45 works great for me, although I would like it to be MOS so that I can shell out an additional $500 for RMR [sarcasm]... I have steered clear of Gen 4. Holding Gen 2, 2.5, 3 and 5. Was looking at a G40 MOS (Gen 4) and couldn't bring myself to bite. Especially when the G41 sitting next to it is so svelte.

So best Glock IMOHO would be my G20 Gen2 with Jarvis National Match 6" barrel. I had to make my own G40 years in advance as it was my reloading test bench for hot and/or cast loads. Round count in excess of 60k and keeps on ticking.
I'm not sure what THE bsst Glock is, but MY best (and most favorite) Glock is my G20SF. I've never liked the G40's. To me, the G40 is like a crew served weapon. The G20 is just the right size and is faster to ge out f teh holster and on target which is important for a woods gun.

·
23,838 Posts
I’ve got a 19 but recently located a 19x for a fair price here in CA. Maybe the 19x will be my new fave. Can’t wait to find out.
In California, I see no advantage of a 19x over a a 19 since you're limited to 10 round mags. Why not get a 43x? It's easier to conceal when carried IWB.

And, here's another possible suggestion:
Map Slope Parallel Terrestrial plant Font

·
23,838 Posts
the only benefit of the 19 over the 43X in CA is the lack of front slide serrations
That's a major advantage but si9nce you can still buy Gen 3 guns in california I'd much rather have a G23 instead of a G19 If I were going to carry a double stack gun, but I much prefer a single stack for IWB carry and you can always put a G43 slide on a G43x to eliminate the forward slide serrations.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts