close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best all around 9mm Glock for both IDPA and IPSC?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Dr.Chris, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris

I am still Glock shopping and have been considering buying a Glock for competition. I know VERY LITTLE about competitions at this point, just that there are two types and that your gun has to fit in a certain sized box.

Though it appears that a lot of people do either IDPA or IPSC and not both, I'd like this gun to be eligible in either class. If there are other popular competition classes please educate me. Since I am a complete novice I think I should stick to stock class but I welcome your feedback on other classes.

I have been looking at the Glock 17L and the Glock 34, but would consider others. For instance is the Glock 17 used a lot in competition? Would I be better off there? Your feedback is appreciated.

Chris

P.S. I would like to stick to 9mm if possible due to its low per round cost and compatibility with other guns. As a Canadian it must have a 4.13" or longer barrel, but I know competition barrels normally exceed this length.

2. 4eyes

4eyes Provocateur

The 17L will not fit in the box for either game.

Google IDPA and USPSA for the rules

3. Hickeroar

Hickeroar Glock 26 HoDown

In your situation, I'd go with a G34. It's got a longer barrel than the 17(non-L) which is better for competition shooting, and it costs 100-150 less than the 17L... The 17L is a little bit longer, but it's (IMHO) not worth the extra money that it costs unless you're at the top of the game and have the money laying around to spend. In my experiences (looking at gun stores), the G34 has about the same price as all the other Glocks.

For IPSC and IDPA the 9mm is probably your best choice as well. Since there's no rules about which caliber your gun has to be, why not use the one with the lowest recoil and cheapest ammo...

4. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

Get a Glock 17.
    It will get you into IDPA Stock Service Pistol and IPSC Production.
    (Note to 4eyes et al, Gronski is in Canada and will shoot under IPSC rules, not USPSA.)

G17L does not fit the IDPA Box.
    G34 does, but it has a barrel over 5" long which keeps it out of IPSC Production. (Although it is allowed in USPSA Production.)

All calibers are scored at Minor Power factor in Production so a 9mm is on a "level playing field" there, but it would suffer in scores versus .40s and .45s in other Divisions. Look up Power Factor in the rules for details.

www.idpa.com
    www.ipsc.org
    http://www.ipsc-canada.org/

5. stangyg123

stangyg123 NRA 4 Ever

My vote goes to the G19 which I sometimes use for IDPA and when I'm using something else it is a G23.

6. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris

I'd LOVE to use a G19, but unfortunately the barrel is 102mm so it is prohibited in Canada.

Chris

7. Glock-N-Fun

Glock-N-Fun

If you want the best advantage for IDPA,IPSC or USPSA,use a 34 or 35,good balance and longer sight radius.

8. JayMund

JayMund

Then it seems your up **** creek without a paddle. Des that mean that you can only use sub compacts? or just have to buy after market barrels for every gun?

9. BustedFlush

BustedFlush Springy Member

No, it means he can only get a full size Glock (e.g. 17, 34, 17L) It seems in Canada a handgun barrel needs to be AT LEAST 105 mm long. I assume this is because "criminals use small guns".

http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/info_for-renseignement/factsheets/prohibited_e.asp
    After reading this and post by Jim Watson at top, the 34 (or 35) sounds like the best choice. But you really can't go wrong with a 17 IMHO.

10. JayMund

JayMund

11. BustedFlush

BustedFlush Springy Member

Oh Canada! :freak:

And you folks in NJ and California thought things were bad!

12. Lowrider 49

Lowrider 49

Wait until the UN fixes things...we'll all be using sling shots!!

13. SDM

SDM

But not for long. Eventually anything that can make a grasseater nervous will be illegal. A sharp stick is probably illegal in Europe by now.

gronski,
    I use a 17 for IDPA and a buddy of mine uses a 34. If I were choosing now I would probably go with the 34 (every little bit helps) but I don't think I'm really at big disadvantage. I think you will have to do quite a bit of shooting and become very good before the difference between the two shows up in your scores. Now if your IPSC rules prohibit the 34 (I know nothing about IPSC), your choice seems pretty simple.

14. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris

Older gun owners in Canada may be able to obtain guns with barrels shorter than 105mm under certain conditions; basically they have to have owned them prior to the restricted law coming into force, and their registration can never have lapsed. This is known as a 12(6) exception.

For those of us new to the sport, the only way to get a smaller pistol like the Glock 19 or the Glock 26 is to have one imported with an aftermarket barrel. There is a company in Canada that does this regularly:

http://www.questar.ca/deals/Compacts.htm

Of course putting an aftermarket barrel on means your gun is no longer eligible for IPSC Production Division / IDPA Stock Service Pistol Division.

Chris

15. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris

Yup, the 34 is not approved for the production division of IPSC (remember folks I'm under CANADIAN rules):

http://www.ipsc.org/proddiv.php

But the interesting thing is that it says:

So I'm back to lusting after my Finnish dream gun the 120mm barrel Glock 19 Pro...

Chris

16. the black dog

the black dog

Folks around here us the Model 34.

17. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i use a 17 for IDPA and USPSA, i like it a little better than the 34/35. i have used a 35 in the past for limited but i ithnk i shoot better, or quicker with the 17.

18. kevinpagano

kevinpagano

I have used a 34 and 17 in production and ssp competitions. I prefer a 17. I do not think that a little over a half inch does anything but help with the sight radius on real long shots. I think the 17 is faster out of the holster tracks better and is faster on double taps for me. I would go with the 17 for the ipsc rules and you can use it as a carry gun if Canada ever gets attacked and the government decides that citizens would be of some help in protecting your country. Oh wait the USA will just take care of that for you. I guess you guys really dont need to carry guns up there. hehehhe

19. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Yupper and the 17 is LEGAL for Amateur Civilan in GSSF.Ya can add the 3.5# connector, a better sight, and extended mag and slide releases...and yes I think there are better sights out there than the factory sights that you get with the 34 or the 17l.I invite you to attend a GSSF match...where ya from? GSSF is for the beginner and alot of guys and gals shoot all three we would be happy to help ya get started. :supergrin:

20. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

We have a match in Michigan...Brighton..that might be a drive the match is the weekend of the 16th and 17th if you are in the area.:supergrin: