GlockTalk Forum banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
MacGyver
7,188 Posts
Best is what works consistently well in YOUR 1911.

Someone else's favorite brand or model that works perfectly in their weapon, may not prove so great in mine.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Best is what works consistently well in YOUR 1911.

Someone else's favorite brand or model that works perfectly in their weapon, may not prove so great in mine.
very true.

but I’ll add this as well, none of my thirty or so Colts are mag sensitive. They all work with the cheesiest, creaky USGI mags, cheap Metalform (used to be cheap anyway), factory (check-mate or Metalform), ACT, old Pachmayr (by ACT), old King’s Gunwork, Mec-Gar, Wilson, CMC, and Tripp Research.

even my old lone Springfield IMBEL wasn’t mag sensitive. Heck, I had a SW Gunsite that wasn’t mag sensitive either.

the only time I have ever witnessed mag sensitive was a Rock Island that jammed with its factory supplied ACT mag. I took that ACT mag and put it in one of my Colts and the combination worked like a charm. Traded the dude with my Mec-Gar and his combination worked like a charm.

I hand heard that certain custom brands insisted on using their own mags otherwise they can’t guarantee function.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
My Colts, 38Super, 10mm and .45auto, have been shooters out of the box with whatever magazines. Fresh manufactured Wilson mag had issues early on, but now they are okay to carry.

A Colt XSE, on my hip, in 45auto was put through a heat torture test...high heat is an enemy of 1911s...400 rounds, of which 150 were shot as fast as I could pull the trigger, the slide became too hot to touch. During this test of trying to get the Colt to choke, I used Metalform, Chip McCormack power mag, Mecgar, whatever Colt issued and a few GI surpus mags. Also, handloaded SWC/hollow points of different manufacturers, and factory FMJs/jacketed hollow points, lots of slide speeds.

All magazines and the Colt, out of the box, worked fine in the ambient 100F+ degrees, I also left the Colt under the hot Arizona sun. The only things I've done afterwards was to replace the recoil spring and change the one piece guide rod to a two piece, that's all.

Undercut trigger guards are a plus for gripping, I like Colts for carry in the three major calibers and prefer the undercut trigger guards. :)

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I've gone through a ton of trial and error research with mags lately, and I've found I much prefer anti-tilt metal followers. I also went through a phase where trying to max out the available capacity was one of my goals. From that I found that 7 round 1911 mags seem to be the most reliable with the fewest issues. I had several WC 47D magazines which I converted from 8 to 7 round mags with the addition of Checkmate anti-tilt followers and the matching springs. Of course the search for the perfect mag without having to completely rebuild everything is an ongoing task. Recently I got a couple Ed Brown 7 round mags, and after doing some comparison, I found the Ruger branded 7 round mags were virtually identical. The EB's are about $25 apiece, $29 if you want the black ones, and I can buy the stainless Ruger's for about $22 here locally. I'll be stocking up on those as the price and quality are everything I seek in a perfect mag.

Having spilled all this minutia, the point I guess I'm trying to make is this. Everybody has their own preferences and though we can suggest, it's ultimately what you feel is important in terms of performance, reliability, and capacity, as well as what your gun functions best with that make them perfect. For me, although there a number of mags or combination of parts that I find acceptable, the 7 round Ed Brown and Ruger branded mags are my first choices.

·
Kstateskier
84 Posts
Wilson Combat 8 round mags. Never had an issue. My sig mags are ok but they feel different.

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
My full taper GI feed lip mags only really feed ball ammo reliability- for me. I have Wilson 47 (7 round) and 47D (8 round) that feed hollow point ammo reliably. The 47D is almost impossible to seat on a closed slide though. Keep in mind, the tube is the same, the followers and springs are different. So they find room for the 8th round in the 47D by removing the legs from the bottom of the follower and putting in a spring that stacks shorter. I also have several Checkmate 7 round, hybrid feed lip, GI flat follower magazines that feed everything. I just traded some old genuine GI magazines with Ed Brown for his 8 round mags ($10 each) they have hybrid feed lips and Checkmate followers. So far, they feed everything and have just a little more room than the Wilson 47D to seat loaded under a closed slide. My sample size is only 2 pistols - one Colt and one Les Baer, so YMMV.
Old GI Joe mags are quite valuable now that CMP buyers are looking for better quality magazines to match their recent new-old pistol purchases.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts