GlockTalk Forum banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
NRA Benefactor Life Member
3,355 Posts
Wilson are generally called the best, by most people I know. Mec Gar are the best low-priced mags.
Yup.
I put Tripp Cobras above Wilson only because their followers have a metal insert more resistant to wear from slide stop. I have never had a problem with Wilson mags. They do seem to be more reliable because they release the round sooner and higher. Not 100% controlled round feeding possibly depending on gun specs, but 100% reliable ime.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I have this and that for magazines but my last purchase was McCormick RPMs. They are doing fine and I will likely buy more when we get into AWB20XX.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I have this and that for magazines but my last purchase was McCormick RPMs. They are doing fine and I will likely buy more when we get into AWB20XX.
Those ChIp McCormick RPM mags are really nice. Very well made and feel solid. I bought several and quite happy with them.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
I have had great luck and ZERO malfunctions with both Chip McCormick power mags and Wilson ETM magazines. I use both in my Springfield Range Officer and just the Wilsons in my alloy framed S&W 1911SC.

·
3,355 Posts
I have had great luck and ZERO malfunctions with both Chip McCormick power mags and Wilson ETM magazines. I use both in my Springfield Range Officer and just the Wilsons in my alloy framed S&W 1911SC.
I like the power mags also in steel frame guns

·
Millenium #3936
6,299 Posts
Tripp Research Cobra Mags...

End of thread....
Yeah Tripp makes the best mags I have ever used. I like :

Tripp
Checkmate
Novak
Wilson

Reactions: ShipWreck

·
Registered
188 Posts
Many prople have the 47D's and are happy with them. I always found the Wilson mag springs weak and anemic. I sent all my to Ed Browns Mag exchange program. I like the Ed Brown's 7 round Performance magazines a lot better. Nice strong springs. The last round always feeds. My 10 round Trip Cobra Mag has always worked too. My other mags are the Metal Form Elites and the magazines that came with my Colts.
John!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Tripp Research Cobra Mags...

End of thread....
Sorry, I have to agree with this one. Maybe it's a Texas thing, but I carry a Heavily Modified Colt Series 70 or a SA Compact 45 daily, and they both love Cobra mags. I began my relationship with Tripp by using their super 7 kits in McCormick Power Mags, and I had such good luck I switched to Cobra Mags exclusively.

·
3,355 Posts
Sorry, I have to agree with this one. Maybe it's a Texas thing, but I carry a Heavily Modified Colt Series 70 or a SA Compact 45 daily, and they both love Cobra mags. I began my relationship with Tripp by using their super 7 kits in McCormick Power Mags, and I had such good luck I switched to Cobra Mags exclusively.
+1

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
My RIA 1911A1 is a budget buy, mostly range fired. Wilson 47Ds and Chip Mcorms do great. I am a lucky owner as even surplus and new GI 7rds mags tick right along.Even have an old school Pachmayr 10 rd that is perfect. Ammo is 230 gr FMJ, but Federal seems to lead the pack. White box Winchester is at bottom of the list, it fires, sometimes stovepipe. Change mags, same, so its ammo. Load Federal..boring. No issues.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Correction to my earlier post in this thread. One of my kimbers has become touchy with ed brown magazines. My govt sized kimber doesnt care, but my Pro is not 100% reliable. As I did some loading and unloading of the different magazines I found the Ed Browns, both in 7 round and 8 round, were not liking the final round loaded or in other words the top round. It gets extremely bound up with friction and feeds the round nose low. The Kimber Pro tac-mags load and feed super well. I bought two of them locally, tried them through different brands of 230gr ball and after 200 rounds they proved to be absolutely reliable and even the first round sounded smoother (compared to my ed browns) as the slide ran forward.

I also reached out to Tripp and purchased a flush 7 rounder. It came in today. I’ll test its feed and reliability this weekend, but this magazine is top notch. It even feels a little heavier. The follower is perfectly smooth, anti-tilt, no seams from welding. It is an absolutely top tier product.

Also through my research of magazines I learned to watch out for certain followers if you have alloy frames. While my alloy frame is old and already “broke-in”, i want to prevent any more destruction to the best of my ability. Chips Power Mag Plus has a well written description of why you want certain followers on their website.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I’ve found the Wilson 47d to be reliable with ball and hollow points but I can’t get through a magazine full of semi wadcutters without at least one failure. Checkmates, colts and The McCormick railed power mags have been 100 Percent reliable with whatever I put in them.

·
Registered
249 Posts
7 rounders in my 1943 Ithica.

8 rounders in my Colt Combat Elite.
Ive read a lot about the Mec Gars. I trust their magazines for other guns. I also read a lot of reviews on the Metalform 747 pro. The model with a rounded follower and a wolff spring. It appears to be another budget option but high performing.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Apparently Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Les Baer, Nighthawk, Guncrafter disagreed. Perhaps they're not serious 1911 builders...
Is true...LB, Ed B, Nighthawk etc. are really small street vendor operations in rural Chinese villages. Metal made over campfires. Cost them $29.95 to make!
So there.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I've got one 8 round 47D and although it's been 100%, I notice how weak the spring is and wonder when it will quit on me.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
There are many opinions which is totally expected given the many options. Personally I appreciate the generally stronger spring pressure afforded to (flush fit) 7 round mags. I buy/use CMC mags but wouldn't hesitate to use a few others. I don't use WC mags, as they dont have great spring or follower longevity.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts