GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
I will take Jason Burton's opinion over your anonymous internet opinion 365 days a year. Carry on ruining threads. This isn't the first one.
i will take my own experience with over thirty Colts and hundreds of mags in varying calibers and brands over anyone else’s opinions.

but hey, if you feel the need to follow someone’s leads instead of relying on your own experience then that’s on you. Don’t blame me because you don’t have first hand experience.

·
Daca is caca
3,478 Posts
Tripp

Reactions: 10or45

·
Farmer, House Sitter and Cook
5,669 Posts
Apparently Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Les Baer, Nighthawk, Guncrafter disagreed. Perhaps they're not serious 1911 builders...
I did not say that at all. Those 1911 builders make or contract magazines with their own unique features in order to generate sales and sell a package. It's all about the Benjamins.

But the two I mentioned above should work with 230-gr ball in ANY decent 1911. If those mags don't work it isn't the mag. Either the guns geometry is off, ammo isn't a good match, or something has been fudged with from the original design.

·
NRA Life Member
63,399 Posts
I have a Colt if that matters.
Thanks, in advance.
Wilson are generally called the best, by most people I know. Mec Gar are the best low-priced mags.

Reactions: 10or45

·
Registered
947 Posts
I did not say that at all. Those 1911 builders make or contract magazines with their own unique features in order to generate sales and sell a package. It's all about the Benjamins.

But the two I mentioned above should work with 230-gr ball in ANY decent 1911. If those mags don't work it isn't the mag. Either the guns geometry is off, ammo isn't a good match, or something has been fudged with from the original design.
Agreed. A properly made to spec 1911 should work with GI mags. However, GI mags or GI-style mags are far from being the best.

·
Lost in transit
6,383 Posts
i will take my own experience with over thirty Colts and hundreds of mags in varying calibers and brands over anyone else’s opinions.

but hey, if you feel the need to follow someone’s leads instead of relying on your own experience then that’s on you. Don’t blame me because you don’t have first hand experience.

Can't stop. Won't stop. :animlol:

·
Registered
208 Posts
My full taper GI feed lip mags only really feed ball ammo reliability- for me. I have Wilson 47 (7 round) and 47D (8 round) that feed hollow point ammo reliably. The 47D is almost impossible to seat on a closed slide though. Keep in mind, the tube is the same, the followers and springs are different. So they find room for the 8th round in the 47D by removing the legs from the bottom of the follower and putting in a spring that stacks shorter. I also have several Checkmate 7 round, hybrid feed lip, GI flat follower magazines that feed everything. I just traded some old genuine GI magazines with Ed Brown for his 8 round mags ($10 each) they have hybrid feed lips and Checkmate followers. So far, they feed everything and have just a little more room than the Wilson 47D to seat loaded under a closed slide. My sample size is only 2 pistols - one Colt and one Les Baer, so YMMV.

·
Registered
947 Posts
If it helps your low self esteem then carry on with your e-superiority complex. :cheers:
Talking about low self-esteem, I’m not the one who has to quote somebody else’s opinions instead of my own.

but hey, I ain’t here to pass judgment on your psyche.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Apparently Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Les Baer, Nighthawk, Guncrafter disagreed. Perhaps they're not serious 1911 builders...
Ed Brown, I believe, partnered with one of those companies to get their mags. Wilson 47Ds didnt run in my Kimbers, to include last round issues. Ed Browns mags have the bump and have all 3 run flawlessly from day 1 in my Kimbers.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Ed Brown, I believe, partnered with one of those companies to get their mags. Wilson 47Ds didnt run in my Kimbers, to include last round issues. Ed Browns mags have the bump and have all 3 run flawlessly from day 1 in my Kimbers.
That’s why I never said Wilson Combat mags are the best.

nonetheless the 47D is at least a decade out of date. There are much better Wilson Combat mags out there according to Bill Wilson himself.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iSCBT463jwo&t=433s

·
Registered
233 Posts
That’s why I never said Wilson Combat mags are the best.

nonetheless the 47D is at least a decade out of date. There are much better Wilson Combat mags out there according to Bill Wilson himself.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iSCBT463jwo&t=433s
You missed the point. Earlier you mentioned colts were made by check mate or metalform and therefore not of good quality- if so then why did ed brown partner with one of those for their mags?

·
Registered
947 Posts
You missed the point. Earlier you mentioned colts were made by check mate or metalform and therefore not of good quality- if so then why did ed brown partner with one of those for their mags?
because Ed Brown mags probably aren’t the same run-of-the-mill check mates as the ones Colt get?

I mean, for $3-6000/gun, one round hope that Ed Brown would do something with the mags.

nonetheless I haven’t looked at an Ed Brown mag in years, but the last ones I looked at definitely weren’t generic mags.

PS. Are you claiming that Colt brand mags are high quality because they supposedly cane from the same supplier as Ed Brown mags? I Just want to understand what it is that you’re saying about Colt brand mags.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts