GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
It's not about the masks, it's about the hysteria. Control.
Totally agree, don't understand why so many buy into the fear. Maybe I do, don't know.

What always comes to mind is the young men( not just world warII ) we sacrificed in Europe, the Pacific engagement with the Japanese .
Just to preserve our country, our way of life, we had young men full of fear ( foxholes) doing this for the country. Even with that fear, those young men kept moving forward.
Dying by the thousands.
With this corona virus creating a fear that can't come close to our brave soldiers (full of fear)and we as a nation,, in my eyes are cowering with fear.
The fear I can expect, it's a natural reaction.
BUT WE CANT STOP MOVING FORWARD!!.
We don't shut down the country.
Even now, we know the virus is not as lethal as expected, Americans are still fearful.
Explain the fear that we are justifying to close down the economy to those who are buried in Arlington Cemetery and all across Europe.

·
Registered
238 Posts
It would also be cute if your grammar was on point before correcting others. The word “but” is a coordinating conjunction, not a conjunctive adverb. As such, when beginning a sentence with a coordinating conjunction, do not put a comma after the coordinating conjunction.

The mistake you made, however, is a fairly common mistake, not unlike people misspelling the word “advice.”
The grammar police should be the first DEPT DEFUNDED, lol teasingly

·
Registered
11,934 Posts
Maybe you should move to France...
I gave the comment a like.

Now, I express my humor.
France essentially adopted the French language in about 1880. It was the result of the loss to the Germans in the 1870s. At that time, only about 21% of the French spoke French. The use of local dialects was forbidden to be taught in schools or on play grounds.

Written French is different than spoken French. There are 14 moods and tenses of verbs. One set is used in political utterances and no where else.

As result, dictation is one hour a day starting at age 6. If you study French anywhere in the world, no matter what country, the teaching is rigid. You are on the same page in the same on the same day.

The US is different. Spelling doesn't count for much. So long as someone can decipher what you wrote. You can start a written or spoken sentence with any word you want. We use automatic word changes and grammar/grammer changes on the computer. Today, cursive writing is not taught in many schools. Who cares? No one.

I asked a phd who taught in the Los Angeles Unified School District the following. If the French start an hour of dictation a day at age 6 and grammar is not taught in US schools, what is taught? Her response was that she had no idea. There is always something not being taught. You are also expected to read, recite and write poems in French elementary school. Only God knows what is done during that same school day in the US.

Further humor for the history buff. When Winston Churchill went to school, the British educational system had shifted from the classics to science based, partially because required public education started around 1900. He could not pass science courses. His father had been a candidate for Prime Minister. So, they created a curriculum for him alone that focused on English language training. Such is how he became a good speaker.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I gave the comment a like.

Now, I express my humor.
France essentially adopted the French language in about 1880. It was the result of the loss to the Germans in the 1870s. At that time, only about 21% of the French spoke French. The use of local dialects was forbidden to be taught in schools or on play grounds.

Written French is different than spoken French. There are 14 moods and tenses of verbs. One set is used in political utterances and no where else.

As result, dictation is one hour a day starting at age 6. If you study French anywhere in the world, no matter what country, the teaching is rigid. You are on the same page in the same on the same day.

The US is different. Spelling doesn't count for much. So long as someone can decipher what you wrote. You can start a written or spoken sentence with any word you want. We use automatic word changes and grammar/grammer changes on the computer. Today, cursive writing is not taught in many schools. Who cares? No one.

I asked a phd who taught in the Los Angeles Unified School District the following. If the French start an hour of dictation a day at age 6 and grammar is not taught in US schools, what is taught? Her response was that she had no idea. There is always something not being taught. You are also expected to read, recite and write poems in French elementary school. Only God knows what is done during that same school day in the US.

Further humor for the history buff. When Winston Churchill went to school, the British educational system had shifted from the classics to science based, partially because required public education started around 1900. He could not pass science courses. His father had been a candidate for Prime Minister. So, they created a curriculum for him alone that focused on English language training. Such is how he became a good speaker.
Interesting history mini lesson!

At a large school district in Texas, we English teachers were given a few rules that had to be followed:
1) Cursive will not be taught.
2) Penmanship will not be taught.
3) Novels will not be taught.
4) Students will not be penalized for failing to put their names on assignments.
5) You will not fail any student for the year with a 69%.
6) Even if a student hands in no work for a grading period, the lowest grade s/he may receive is a 55%.
7) Students will be given as many opportunities as time allows to make up any F.

Public school teaching has really tested me. If it weren’t for coaching, I would have quit the profession long ago.

·
Registered
9,879 Posts
It would also be cute if your grammar was on point before correcting others. The word “but” is a coordinating conjunction, not a conjunctive adverb. As such, when beginning a sentence with a coordinating conjunction, do not put a comma after the coordinating conjunction.

The mistake you made, however, is a fairly common mistake, not unlike people misspelling the word “advice.”
Thanks for your thoughts, however:

Is it ever okay to start a sentence with the word but? (cliffsnotes.com)
"The idea that you shouldn't begin a sentence with a conjunction is one of those "rules" that really isn't"

Starting a Sentence with “And” or “But” – Should You Do It? (prowritingaid.com)

"...you can rest easy knowing that there is no true grammar rule that says you can’t ever start a sentence with one of these conjunctions."

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts, however:

Is it ever okay to start a sentence with the word but? (cliffsnotes.com)
"The idea that you shouldn't begin a sentence with a conjunction is one of those "rules" that really isn't"

Starting a Sentence with “And” or “But” – Should You Do It? (prowritingaid.com)

"...you can rest easy knowing that there is no true grammar rule that says you can’t ever start a sentence with one of these conjunctions."
The reason it’s a “rule” is because students would write fragments when beginning sentences with “but” or “and.”

1) And the dog in the house.

2) But running to the base.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Before you deport me and the other grammar clowns, how about sending some lawyers on a NASA trip to the closest galaxy?
My wife is always hitting me up about my grammar, lol.
She only uses the GRAMMER SLAMMER when she's lost the argument or lost the words.
My rebuttal which I firmly believe in.
BEING RIGHT IS HIGHLY OVERRATED. It can be very destructive.
I'll apologize instead of saying ( I TOLD YOU SO )

·
Registered
238 Posts
Interesting history mini lesson!

At a large school district in Texas, we English teachers were given a few rules that had to be followed:
1) Cursive will not be taught.
2) Penmanship will not be taught.
3) Novels will not be taught.
4) Students will not be penalized for failing to put their names on assignments.
5) You will not fail any student for the year with a 69%.
6) Even if a student hands in no work for a grading period, the lowest grade s/he may receive is a 55%.
7) Students will be given as many opportunities as time allows to make up any F.

Public school teaching has really tested me. If it weren’t for coaching, I would have quit the profession long ago.
Unbelievable

·
NRA Life Member.
3,508 Posts
Best advice EVER would be for you people who THINK YOU KNOW EVERYTHING, "God gave you have two ears, two eyes, and only one mouth for a good reason."

Reactions: tallTexasdude

·
Registered
30,960 Posts
This is to all the people I see driving around in their car, by themselves, wearing a mask - STOP buying all the toilet paper! We are all safer if you buy condoms!:laughing:
Why are some people so concerned about what other people are doing when it comes to trivial things that don't affect them AT ALL.

·
Registered
30,960 Posts
Like this topic hasn't already been brought up 100 times already.

Isn't the medical advice that you refrain from touching your mask as much as possible, including putting it on and taking it off over and over? So maybe they are the smart ones.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts