Best adjustable night sights, for hunting/competition

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by MO Fugga, Feb 16, 2010.

1. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

Ready (I think) to get night sights for a G20. Want adjustable ones for this autumn's hunting season, and the best I can get. Interested in trying some competition, as well. Can all you handgun hunters out there give me your best recommendations? Quality and versatility count the most. Not too concerned on price, as long as I get what I pay for instead of getting hosed. THANX!!! :wavey:

2. G19aps

G19aps

I just put a Dawson Precision adjustable rear and Ameriglo .300 tritium front on my G20 also to be used for hunting next year and hiking. The rear notch and front post are the about the same width, so the sight picture ends up being very much like a target sight rather than a wide open combat sight and precision shots are easier.
    I haven't finished sighting it in yet as I ran out of time this weekend. It was shooting a little high at 50 yards but there is still some downward adjustment on the rear sight. I got a 3-shot group of 2.1" at 50 yards with Remington UMC 180gr FMJ which is the only ammo I can find locally right now.

3. RayB

RayB Retired Member

The only fully adjustable night sights currently available, that I've seen, are MMC and Meprolight.

Last we heard, MMC is a company in trouble, and you're best advised to stay clear of them.

Israeli-made Meprolights are quality stuff from a solid company!

You can also combine sight brands, as G19aps did, but do your research to arrive at a compatible combination.

--Ray

4. G19aps

G19aps

Yep, stay away from MMC. When I first decided to put adjustables on my G20 I thought of them b/c I had ~4 sets 10 years ago and they were great. Sounds like they're having big problems now.

Here is a Dawson adjustable tritium. For me, the rear tritium is too close to the notch and would be distracting for the majority of shots I would take while hunting.

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=2180000-1094593468

5. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

I plan on getting a set of Meprolights

6. MO Fugga

If this setup is not for you, what are you planning on doing next? I'm only used combat sights before, and am trying to imagine the sight picture. More training is required for me. If the Dawson is not for beginners, perhaps the Meprolight? Do you think I'm better off (training-wise) starting with a rear sight with a wider notch?

7. RayB

RayB Retired Member

My thinking on this is a bit of the inverse of what I'm reading...

I consider the Glock OEM nights sights (Meprolights) on my G21 to be Combat Sights. They have a wide front blade to rear notch aspect, and are excellent bull's-eye sights out to thirty feet or so (with my eyes). :freak:

Target sights have a narrower front blade to rear notch aspect, and a good shooter can actually navigate the bull's-eye area on the target, where the combat sights mostly cover the bull's-eye. :eyebrow:

I realize that these are general terms, and that many sights are hybrids of combat and target sights. Whatever works, right? :dunno:

For me, my best target sights are my Dawson Precision Front Fiber Optic, Adjustable Rear Sights. That front fiber optic really pops in that flat black rear sight notch! :wow:

I wish AmeriGlo would offer their Operator Sights in an adjustable rear sight configuration. The Operators offer tritium lamps all around, but a white marker on the front sight only. I really like this set up! :thumbsup:

Sig-Sauer, on their Equinox series combine a markerless, flat black rear sight with a TruGlo TFO front sight. In the dark, you've got the familiar three glowing tritium lamps all around, but in daylight, that front TFO really pops in that rear sight notch! The only thing is, the TFO front sight is quite fat, and I'm among those that is not sold on the TFO's durability and reliability.

--Ray

8. G19aps

G19aps

++1 on adjustable Operators! That would have saved me some dough b/c I ended up needing to get taller Operator rears for my 26 and 34.

10mmmofo - the tritium rear sight was not for me but I bought the non-tritium rear dawson adjustable. Same sight, no tritium inserts. I don't imagine I will need a tritium rear sight while hunting.
    Traditionally a target sight picture like the ones used by all the NRA bullseye shooters is a tighter sight picture. Imagine your combat sights but with less light on either side of the front sight post. It's easier for most eyes to tell if the front sight is just a hair off when there's less light on each side of the post.
    I think that hunters and target shooters need the same thing - a very precise shot. That's easier with a target sight picture than with a combat sight picture.
    To answer your other question, if you're just starting out I think it would be easier for you to tell if your sights aren't aligned properly with a target sight picture.
    Sorry if I just confused you more.

9. MO Fugga

After long enough thought, I got the Meprolites... green/orange. I figger since hunting season is a ways off, I don't need adjustables for a while. I am thinking more along the lines of a scope and mount. Thanks, y'all... :cool: