close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best 9mm Glock for comp/winning a pistol?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Glockadict, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Glockadict

Glockadict

I want to start competing, so I bought a G34. I was reading some of the other threads and people were saying that it is easier to win a Glock with a G17 or a G19. Can someone please explain this to me? What would the best 9mm be to compete with? I was also wondering what is the best grain to use for the different GSSF events?

2. Kitestir

Kitestir

With the G34 you have to shoot in the competition class, it is not allowed in amatuer. In the amateur class you would use the G17/19. What happens is if there are 150 entrants in the amateur civilian class they break it into three groups 1-50, 51-100, 101-150 as you finish after scoring.(groups A,B and C) A pistol is awarded to the winners of each group. you can place 51 or 101 out of 150 and still win a pistol. In the comptition class there are not as many entrants So I am not sure if they would break it down, but the event that I shot at last year only 30 entrants in Competion so only the best score received a pistol. So basically you have 3 chances to win a gun in amateur and 1 chance in competion.

Also looking at your signature, you can use your 20 or 21 for amateur or put a G22 barrel in your 22C and that would be stock legal for amateur civ. also.

Hope this makes sense!
    Shawn

3. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

My first choice is a 17C with a solid barrel for Amciv and with ported barrel for Comp.

4. ede

ede Bama's Friend

it's been my experience that it's by far easier to win a glock with a g37, but i have no experience with a 9mm

5. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

By being in the drawing? ;Q

6. Glockman67

Glockman67 #29 Supporter

It's not the gun, it's the shooter. Quit wasting time thinking which gun is easier to win with whereas, you should train/ practice with the one you feel most comfortable.

gman67

7. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

honestly, there are a lot reasons to shoot GSSF.... winning a gun isnt the only one.

I just got my first pistol certificate at Conyers in November after 10-15 matches. DannyR just got his first certificate (at Richmond I believe) after 20 something matches.

If you look at the time and money the average Joe invests in GSSF - memberships, match fees, fuel, food, ammo, (and some have hotel costs) I would say that you could have probably bought at least two (maybe more like three or four) Glocks with the money you will spend trying to win your first one.

Now if you are a hotshot like Fireglock - you are almost guaranteed of winning a Glock at every match.

But mere mortals (such as I) go for the opportunity to test our skills against a COF that doesnt change from year to year, or we go to enjoy the company of our dear friends at the friday night dinner,

or we go to the match to buy the cheap hicaps (sweet!), or so we can ***** about Don and Dan buying 50 G37 mags between the two of them and wiping out Lonewolfs supply for 6 months,

or we go so we can take a picture of the flesh wound that Jerry got from a riccochet off of the plate rack and to post it on the internet.

Best 9mm? whichever one you shoot best - I actually shoot my 26 better than my 34

Ammo? if Im shooting 9mm its either 115 grain WWB, or if I have time to reload, a 147 Ranier over a tiny little bit of Titegroup..... next year Im putting more Titegroup in so the slide will cycle if the temperature falls below 75 degrees.

PS - Jerry - did you get your Purple Heart yet?

8. Glockman67

Glockman67 #29 Supporter

Darn, and I thought I'd be the next coming of Dave Sevigny. Looks like I'll be humble and wait a few years till my 1st certificate.

;)

gman67

9. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

;z
    Let us know if you get that worked out. I'm thinking about handloading for the UL fun-gun I'm putting together and it might be a consistent 75° up in this neck of the woods by the time Indy rolls around.

I'll have to scoot on over to Six Flags over Minnesota and see how them-thar Dillon things work, 'cause I'm used to building rifle rounds like Johnny Cash's Cadillac. ;f

10. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

One piece at a time, and it didn't cost me a dime......

11. ede

ede Bama's Friend

yep

12. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Exactly, sir! ^c

13. Glockadict

Glockadict

Thanks for all the help. I'll just go to the range, and keep putting rounds through my G34 to improve my skill. Maybe put a standard barrel in my G22 also. Thanks again.

14. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

I realize that ammo costs are higher for these two, and being a lost brass match doesnt help if you reload, but you wouldnt be the only person at a GSSF match to shoot a 10mm or 45.

A lot of people shoot'em better than the smaller Glocks.

15. cmzneb

cmzneb

I bought a G17 to use in GSSF matches because that seemed to be the gun of choice for shooting Am Civ.

I found that my scores in Am Sub with my G27 were much better than my G17 scores.

Now I shoot the G27 in both Am Civ and Am Sub.

16. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

how about the one you get Fireglock to use.