Best 9mm ammo for G34 for GSSF

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by 1stang08, Mar 31, 2010.

1. 1stang08

1stang08

Im just curious as to what people with G34 are using for 9mm ammo to shoot GSSF.

2. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

I can only assume by the way you asked the question that you do not reload? If you are going to use factory ammo, I would suggest getting a box of a few different loads to see which ones your G34 likes the best and what you shoot the best. Will you be shooting it in only Amature Competition or will you be adding a Red Dot and shooting it also in Unlimited? This is also a varible that must be considered. Winchester White box does well, American Eagle and the Target version made by Corbon also works well. Sometimes it can also be the difference in the bullet weight ( 115, 124, 135, or 147gr). It's not always a one size fits all for your Best results.

I know this sounds like a round about answer but all items mentioned can and does make a difference between guns and shooters experience.

I personally use mostly 135gr bullets and occassional 147gr bullets but I also reload my own.

Don

3. 1stang08

1stang08

Right now I am just getting into the comp. shooting. I just got a box of Winchester 115 white box the other day. I havent gone to the shooting range yet to see how the 34 fires yet. But I hope to soon. I was just curious as to what others are using and what works best for them and what kind to stay away from. Right now I would be shooting Amature Competition but will move up from there with time.

4. Don At PC

The Winchester White box is a good starting point. You may find that it does all you want it to do. One of the top master class shooters in GSSF shoots only WW and of course does very well. The G34 is a great Glock. The only draw back with it in GSSF is that it is only legal in Competition and Unlimited Categories. The G17 and 19 for instance is legal in Amateur Civilian or Guardian, Competition, Master Stock and Unlimited. In other words all GSSF Categories except Sub-Compact and Major- Sub. But understand that I am not knocking the G34 just pointing out the legal limitations with it in GSSF. I enjoy shooting my 34 but for GSSF I shoot a G17C in Unlimited, G19 in Competition, Master Stock and Amateur Civilian and a G26 in Sub-Compact.

Don

5. 1stang08

1stang08

Im thinking that my next glock will be a G26. Im going to stick with the 9mm guns. That way I can still use all the same stuff. I can get a good deal on the 100 count ww for $20 a box at a local store by me. What kind of sights do you use on your 34?

6. Don At PC

I use strictly the Heinie sights from www.brownells.com. They are called #320 Glock Sight Combo P/N 394-100-320. Very good sights for the money.

Don

7. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

WWB can "do the job", but I believe *most* competitive shooters don't use 115gr stuff.

I have the book "The Glock in Competition", and there's an entire chapter devoted to ammo. Yes, some people buy their ammo, but the vast majority of *serious* competitors reload their own. Why? Cost. I shoot 2000+ rounds a month, and it costs a whole lot less to shoot my reloads than to purchase, even at your $20 per 1000 price.

Also, the vast majority of reloaders use a heavier grain bullet than the 115gr. I personally use a 147gr Montana Gold bullet, and while I have the SAME "Power factor" (I don't use a light, gaming load), the recoil difference is significant. Just a few weeks ago I loaded up a magazine, alternating one of my rounds with a WWB 115gr round. Wow, the difference was amazing.

For sights, the Heinies are popular, but so are the Sevigny competitions (made by Warren for David Sevigny). I use those.

8. sailor

sailor

You are getting some good advice from experienced shooters. I am not nearly as experienced as these guys, but just to give another opinion, here goes. My ammo for my 34,17,26 and unlimited 17 is currently White Box and it does well for me. That being said, I have reached the point where I am starting to re-load and will begin experimenting with some loads of my on. (If anyone would like to send a favorite recipe for their GSSF 9 mm load I would be appreciative.)
    I tried several sights before deciding the Heinie rear with a Dawson FO front worked best for me. Many folks do not like this set-up for GSSF but I like it. Try as many differrent sights as you can before you settle on one. I now have the Heinie rear with Dawson FO on all my non-optic Glocks. Good luck and have fun.

Mike

9. 1stang08

1stang08

I was looking at the Sevigny competitions sights. Which one do you use...the standard front or the Fo front. I ordered a full bladetech holster and mag pouch setup and belt to use in IDPA. I have thought about doing the reload...but it wont be this season...maybe next year when I get better. What is a good higher load ammo then that I should look at.

10. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

WWB 115s are good stuff but it tends to be on the lower end of the power scale. I've seen it work fine in a gun shot by an adult male, but then start getting "limp wrist" FTEs when the same gun/ammo combo is handed over to a wife or young teenager.

If any family members, etc., are going to use your stuff, keep in mind that they might need slightly hotter ammo.

IMONSHO, I think 9mm pistols in general "like" bullets in the 124 to 127 grain class. 147 grain is OK for competition, but that is all.

11. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

If you want a really light load, try Blazer 115-gr fmj's. If you want a really nice, hotter round try American Eagle 124-gr FMJ. Winchester USA is in-between those two.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  12. BBJones

BBJones

13. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I use the standard front blade. It's a thin blade inside of a wide notch, which doesn't "hide" small targets like the standard Glock sights do.

I use the bladetech Stingray belt holster (SRB), it's a great IDPA holster.

For "good higher load ammo", as was mentioned either 124gr or 147gr is more common than 115gr. TiteGroup is a common powder, but one of the guys here turned me on to Solo 1000. Very soft-shooting powder, not dirty. Great for a newbie reloader, as it mostly fills the case... it would be impossible to accidentally double-charge, unlike TiteGroup.

14. JohnTz

JohnTz

+1 I had a couple stove pipes with the AE 115gr but have shot over 5000 rounds of AE 124 and never a problem. Nice consistant ammo for the price. I do not reload for a whole bunch of reasons so I depend on the factory AE 124 for all my target work. Shoots real nice in my 34.

As far as sights I have the Dawason FO adjustable rear and FO front. Real nice at the range with the booth light on and just glow like fire outside in a sunny day.

15. Don At PC

I am glad you mentioned the way they glow in the sun light. I just tried the Dawson FO Front sight with the Heinie rear sight at the Morganton Match last weekend. I shot on Saturday and it was a clear sunny day. However since there was pending heavy rain forcast there were awnings over the shooters area which is normal when rain is coming. That is when I learned very quickly that the FO front does NOT glow under these conditions, therefore they were worthless. My plain Black Blade Heinie front sight gave by far a sharper sight picture. Needless to say you will never find any FO sights on any of my Glocks in the future. With my Heinie sights all I do is spay on a little sight black occassionally and no matter what the lighting conditions are I have the same sight picture.

If you like the FO that is your choice but I wanted to share my experience so that maybe some who heard all the hipe about them didn't have a big dissappointment.

Don

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  16. Spike32

Spike32

I have the FO front with my Sevigny Comp sights, and on a cloudy day I just apply a little of that black stuff baseball players use under their eyes, and I then have a nice black sight. When you're done, just wipe it off.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  17. JohnTz

JohnTz

If it isn't sunny enough to make the FO work than what is left is a black blade front anyway so it works just fine for me either way. It just looks like a traditional blade target sight picture when the FO is dark.

18. bassnbud

bassnbud

I used Atlanta Arms 147 JHPs prior to starting to reload. I used the blue bth once fired brass.