close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best .45 Super loads?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by 21Glock, Feb 2, 2010.

1. 21Glock

21Glock

Alright, guys I'm getting my Glock 21SF set up(LWD barrel and 22lb. recoil spring, etc.) to shoot some .45 Super loads occasionally.

I cast my own slugs 230gr. truncated cone(I shoot this in regular .45ACP and some +P loads) lubed with a Liquid Alox from Lee. In fact, all my dies and casting equip. are Lee. I also have a small supply of the 230gr. jacketed hollow point and 185gr. JHP .45 Super brass will be here today.

What are some of your favorite powders and recipes for the .45 Super in a Glock 21? I was thinking about picking up some accurate arms # 7 at the gun show this weekend.

I plan on starting off on the lower power range and work my way up slowly.
    I'm been reloading for 30+ years with no KBs and I don't plan on that changing.

Thanks.

2. 21Glock

21Glock

Also I might add, I have Accurate Arms # 5 and a good bit of Blue Dot on my bench? Could I use these to cobble together some decent .45 Super rounds?

3. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

4. 21Glock

21Glock

I saw where on handload.com that 12.0 grains of AA No. 5 was the top end load for +P .45ACP for a 185gr. JHP. I can try some of those.

5. dougader

dougader

6. 21Glock

21Glock

Thanks for the info. I also have looked at the handload.com website and one of the ones they recommend is AA#7 for the .45 Super. I'll probably pick up pound of that at the gun show tomorrow.

7. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

For me in a 10mm the AA#7 and Power Pistol performed the same. Just used a lot more powder with #7 to get the same results as with Power Pistol. Yes, you can call me cheap now.

8. 21Glock

21Glock

Thanks, I saw Power Pistol at the gun show yesterday and I may pick up a pound next time I'm at the show. I'll try the AA# 7 I picked up and see how it works for now. Some many powders, so little time.

9. dougader

dougader

I have yet to see PP anywhere around here. Its one I'd try.

10. xdmikey

xdmikey

power pistol is my 'go to' in super but i disremember the load at present.

11. stengun

stengun

Howdy,

I use Blue Dot myself.

I use it for all my max pressure loads for 9mm, 40cal, 10mm, .45acp, 45Super and 45 Colt loads.

Paul

12. jaybirdjtt

jaybirdjtt

My 8 Ball shows no loads using those powders. Longshot has loads with a variety of bullet weights. Have fun!

13. dougader

dougader

Here's my latest loading with a Beartooth 265 grain WFNGC and various charges of Blue Dot. To my surprise these chamber and fit better than the 255 RNFP I ordered (just in case the 265's wouldn't work...)

Hopefully I can get to the range to chronograph these on Monday.

[​IMG]

14. 21Glock

21Glock

Yes, those look awesome! I just loaded some 230gr. JHP Speers on some new .45 Super brass I got in about a week ago. I haven't shot them yet. I started out with 11.5 gr. of AA#7 and 12gr. and 13gr. of AA#7 I've loaded 15 total, 5 with each grain loading. The 13gr. is supposed to have muzzle velocity of a little over 1100fps.
    I'll be trying them out in the next week or so when the weather gets better and dryer. No more snow or rain here in GA, hopefully. I'm looking forward to see how they do. What are the ballistics ratings on those Buffalo Bore rounds that you have there?

15. 21Glock

21Glock

Also what gun are you shooting these in? Would it be a Glock21 or a 1911?
    How do you have it set up?
    I am going to be using my 21Sf with a 22lb. ISMI spring and SS non-captured guide rod and a Lone Wolf stock length barrel.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
    Bill McGlinchey likes this.
  16. dougader

dougader

Well, these are Beartooth bullets I ordered from them last year. It has taken me this long to get around to trying some loads. They are experimental rounds only. I just want to see what I can do with this heavy, wide, flat-nose bullet. There is data with Blue Dot and the Speer 260 grain JHP, but they are seated out to 1.240" IIRC. I had to seat these deeper so they fit the tight chamber of my LWD 6" ported barrel. So I started low and worked up in .5 grain increments. I'll shoot them over a chronograph when I can. I wouldn't do this without a chronograph.

My set up is a G21 sf with the LWD 6" 4-port barrel. I use a steel guide rod and a 22# recoil spring.

I want to see if I can get this load to 1100 fps without battering my gun. I'd be satisfied with 900 fps, but we'll see. I'm all for the 45 Super but I'm not going to beat up a perfectly good gun in a couple hundred rounds.

I've also loaded up 200 grain Speer "flying ashtrays," and 230 grain Zero fmj's with various loads of BD.

I see the data with Ramshot Enforcer, too. Maybe my AA9 and H108 would work with the heavier bullet as well. We'll see how it goes.

If this doesn't work out to my satisfaction I'll just carry a revolver when I go fishing.

Making up experimental rounds takes a lot of time ot change the settings on my dies for different bullet weights, and then the minute changes of the powder measure and hand-weighing charges, etc. I figure I spent a good 4 hours yesterday tinkering around. Cartridge overall length is important, too, and the tight chamber in my LWD (Lone Wolf) barrel require deeper seating than preferred sometimes. The super fat Beartooth 255 grain plain base RNFP had to be seated way too deep.

Then in the middle of one batch of 5 rounds I notced the base of the round looked deeper than the others.... about the width of a copper gas check. So I pulled the bullet with my trusty kinetic bullet puller... must have taken 50 whacks or so to get it out of the case. It was a 300 grain WFNGC bullet that somehow had ended up in my box of 265 grain bullets! THat would have been catastrophic if I hadn't caught it.

So, take great care.

17. 21Glock

21Glock

I think the most weight of any slug I'll try for my setup will be a 230gr. I may go to some 200gr. or even a 185gr. I noticed on handload.com that just on the +P rounds they show using AA#5 which I have, using 12gr. should get 1200fps. On the .45 Super brass loadings about 16 gr. of AA#7 should get it to 1300fps.
    Have you shot any .45 Super loads in your 21SF with the way it is set up now? If so, how did the gun function?
    Mine is set up exactly like yours except, I have a stock length on my LWD barrel.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  18. dougader

dougader

I think I'd be careful using AA5 with +P or 45 Super loads. It can get pretty "spikey" as you get up in pressure. 12.0 grains of AA5, even considering a +P load seems a bit hot to me. Speer 14, for example, lists their 185 grain GDHP with a max load of 10.6 grains with AA5. Keep in mind that a lot of this data on the web is just any old Joe posting their loads. Start low and work up slow.

Power pistol is about as fast of a powder I'd use working up 45 Super loads.

I have been working up loads in the G21sf to +P and a bit beyond but not into 45 Super range yet. A friend has a 1911 set up for 45 Super with a kit from Ace Custom and we have fired it with some old Triton 45 Super ammo that is rated at 1150 fps with a 230 grain jhp. We have not fired it over a chronograph yet.

Have you read the thread on 45 Super in the Big Dawgs club?:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197490

19. 21Glock

21Glock

I know this sounds dumb, but where do I find the Big Dawgs club on Glocktalk? I saw a heading one time on here for it and wasn't able to find it again.
    I think I'll pull the 185gr.JHP +P rounds I've loaded with 12gr. of AA#5 and drop them down to 10.5.
    Thanks for the heads up. Don't need any KBs here!
    How is the 22lb. spring doing in your 21SF? Any FTFs or jams along the way?
    Thanks.

20. dougader

dougader

Starting with a pressure tested load in 45 auto is a good place to start and then work up from there. I have never run AA5 above moderate level loads in 9mm and 45 Colt, about 25k psi and 14k psi respectively. So I don't now how it runs personally. But I have read of several cases where AA5 spiked unexpectedly when people started pushing the limit in 9mm major and 38 Super. I would think that 10.5 grains with 185's would be a good starting point, but don't know for sure as I've never run it to max in 45 auto previously.

For the Big Dawgs Club (G30) forum you need to go to Gun-Related Clubs, then scroll down to Big Dawgs from there.

For now you can click on the link in my previous post and it will take you straight to the thread on 45 Super. There are tips and data in that thread, too. Then once you are in the thread you can look at the top for the path to click out to the previous clubs, forums, etc.

It looks like this:

Glock Talk > Firearms Forums > Gun-Related Clubs > The Big Dawgs Club > 45 Super Chrono Data G30/G21C

I haven't run into any problems with my loads yet. Some people have and then used plus-power magazine springs from Wolf. I had this problem running 9x23 Winchester and then the combination of plus-power mag springs with a stronger recoil guide rod spring got it running without hiccups.