close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

best 357 Sig gun for carry? glock33 size? help

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Lord Optik, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Lord Optik

Lord Optik

In the next few weeks I would like to get a 357 sig which I will use for conceal carry when my state receives it and for home defense.

currently I have a Steyr S9 9mm which is a fine gun but I really want a 357 Sig.

the only thing that worries me about the glock is the no safty. (please no flames on this, this is my decision)

Are there any other 357 Sig guns with the same durability and or reliability of the glock? I am looking for about the size of the glock 33.

I see some of you have sigs etc I would like something easy to take care of.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

also what is the reliabiliy of the glock 33? is it as reliable as the glock 26 9mm?

2. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

I have two Sig 239s; one is in .357; give them a look.

3. Lord Optik

Lord Optik

do you happen to have a link. I tried www.sig.com but it brought me to some marketing website.

4. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

5. Screaming .357G

Screaming .357G 598ci big block

The G33 is the best size/weight gun for me as a backup but the sig 239 is very close.
    Try www.sigforum.com

6. tgtshuter

tgtshuter Too Beaucoup

Another vote for the P239 w/357Sig. I love shooting it and easy to carry. It's been 100% reliable. Gotta have the Hogue grips too. Well, you don't "have to"...but it makes a big difference (IMO). :cool:

Definitely check out www.sigforum.com and do a search. You'll find a bunch of P239 fans.

7. srfl

srfl

Lord Optik:

Have you considered the Steyr M357? It would be a natural choice for you since you already have the S9; as such the manual of arms would be the same...including the manipulation of the manual safety, which Sig's do not have either. The P229 does have the advantage of being smaller than the M357 though.

Another option is getting an S40 and purchasing an S-series length .357 SIG barrel made by the company IGB in Austria (see thread http://www.Glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=284144). Granted, that is a more expensive proposition, but it gives you a two caliber in one gun option in a gun that is identical to your S9, albeit in a heavier caliber.

I own an M357, M9, S9 and S40. I use the S40 as my off-duty weapon. The Steyrs are excellent weapons.

Don't get me wrong in "pushing" you towards the Steyr; the Sig P239 is a fine weapon. My LE duty gun is the P229 in .40 S&W. I have the option of going to the P239 in .40 S&W if I wish. You would be well served with the P239.

8. solo17

solo17

make it another vote for a sig 239 in 357 sig

9. Lord Optik

Lord Optik

do you think the S40 could take the pressure of the .357 cartridge? I agree with you the steyr is a fantastic gun in form and function. The problem I have with the steyr S9 the only reason I cringe at conceal carry with it because of the lack of quality holsters. I'd like IWB in a holster which will hold the gun very tightly in place like the option of the glocks.

I messaged side armor and just made a post in the steyr forum if you are intersted in looking at it.

10. srfl

srfl

I don't see why not....by all means....post this question in the Steyr Club.

As soon as I have more $$, I will purchase a .357 barrel for my S40.

Holsters for the S9? Here's a a sticky link for you regarding holster makers that can produce Steyr holsters:

http://www.Glocktalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=276920

That sticky has a link to a site started by GT member mrapathy which includes a table showing types of Steyr holsters available:

http://12.217.194.67/mrapathy/steyr_faq-n-glry/faq/M&S_Faq.html#accessories

11. Lord Optik

Lord Optik

thank you for the link. however all the holsters seem to be made for the M series and not the S series.

12. Donut Gestapo

Donut Gestapo

If not having an external "safety" is an issue, the SIGs are out too. Try the G33. You will love it.

13. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Try some Winchester Ranger +P+ 127 grain JHP ammo in your S9.It's close to 357 Sig performance and the Steyr was origianlly designed for the 40 S&W so it should be plenty tough enough.The Glock 33 is the smallest decent 357 Sig pistol I know of.Most of the others are a bit bigger.Maybe add an S40 to go with your S9.

14. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife Senior Member

Last I heard Glock still have 3 safeties.

CLICK HERE

15. RojasTKD

RojasTKD

I'm considering a 357 Sig eventually. Right now I'm thinking either a Springfield XD357 or a Styer M357.

Check out the Styer board. There is a Austrian company that plan to import a 357 Sig barrel for the S40.

Also some companies will make a holster for what ever gun you want. Tucker Gun Leather and Hoffner's will make a holster for the gun of you choice. Any holster for the M will fit the S, just a little extra space.

I'm expecting a Hoffner's Shirt Tucker IWB holster soon. It a slide type holster for my M40 so it shouls fit perfect with my s40 too.

16. Heretic

Heretic Deceased

I like a positive safety.... but I love my glock...

So I carry Israeli style - no bullet in the tube.

With practice you can draw, charge and fire in less than a second.

If it requires anything more than that ...

17. ProCarryNAustin

ProCarryNAustin

Israeli works great as long as you have both hands free. In close quarters, you may not have that luxury.

A good holster and trigger finger awareness are all you need to safely carry a Glock the way it was designed to be carried.

If I were going to carry something unloaded, I would prefer something heavier so I could use it as a club! ;)

Just my two cents... your mileage may vary.

Daniel
    Austin, Texas