close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best .357 Ammo for a 2 1/8" Barrel?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by spdski, Apr 5, 2010.

1. spdski

spdski NRA Life Member CLM

A few months ago I picked up a S&W model 60 and will be carrying it this summer as it warms up and I get too lazy to carry an auto. I have some Winchester 125gr JHPs right now, and am interested to see if you guys know of anything that is better and fast out of a short barrel...

I still shoot at my dept.'s range and asked the range guys what they would suggest, but they didn't feel real confident with anything they had in the shop (only had three choices available).

Since I am too lazy to do the research myself, I figured I would turn to you all for advice on this one.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  2. blueiron

blueiron

For LE in the revolver era, the gold standard for .357 Magnum loads was the Federal 125 grain JHP. Fast, brutal out of light guns, and over 90% stops as shown by the Texas DPS.

It isn't easy to find anymore, but that is what I would use in a .357 Magnum.

3. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Speer Gold Dot 135gr. +P JHP load is specifically designed for Snub nosed revolvers.

And the old F.B.I. load of 148gr. LSWCHP +P is still a good load for snub nosed revolvers.

Personally I think that .357 loads are a waste of time in a 2" BBL. all you really get is increased recoil and lots of muzzle flash. over +p rounds designed for snub noses.

4. spdski

Looks like they have a short barrel .357 as well...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. spdski

Anyone ever play with the double-tap stuff?

6. Dragoon44

Everything i have heard about the Gold Dot Snubby loads has been positive. Was not aware they were making a .357 load now as well. I would choose that if I were dead set on a .357 load.

7. spdski

Yeah. It looks like the same bullet with some more powder behind it.

The model 60 is heavy enough that shooting .357 is bearable and accurate.

8. ashtxsniper

ashtxsniper TX Open Carrier

I like the tried and true 125 grn Federal SJHP in my SP101.

9. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Our old duty ammunition was the 158 grain LSWCHP +P. (I think this might be what Dragoon meant to say. Not sure but he's old and can't see the keyboard very well.)

Can only tell you from experience that it is very controllable out of both a 4 inch and a 2 inch and achieves the desired result.

Not the greatest round for barrier penetration, (inside beams of car doors, etc) but very effect anti-personnel loading.

Still carry it in my snubs.

Jack

10. Dragoon44

Wht mks u sy tht?

:tongueout::rofl:

But you are right it is 158gr.

11. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

I run the GD short barrel loads in my 642. Have heard positive things from the guys that are running it in .357s.

12. walkin' trails

walkin' trails

I had a Model 60 snubbie in 357 until about 11 years ago. I got rid of it so that I would no longer be tempted to shoot magnums in it because I got to feeling that anything else was under powered. The two things I recall about that gun are 1) it hurt like hell to shoot magnums regardless of the load or the type of grips; and 2) that while 147 +P+ and 158 grain +P, and lesser .38s shot point of aim, the magnums tended to land six inches or more low...okay it could have been me.... Didn't matter if they were 110s, 125s, or 145 Silvertips. I haven't fired the new magnum Gold Dots, but if you decide to carry carry them, spend some quality range time seeing where they hit.

13. EOD1

EOD1

This might sound really dumb to some but I have not really kept up on revolvers. But, when did the model 60 change to a 357? I still have a model 60 Chiefs Special. It is a J frame in 38.

14. spdski

15. A6Gator

A6Gator

Yep. In the 80's, it was the right answer in my 2" Colt Lawman. Even w/a full-size frame and "concealable" grips, it was a bit of a handful. Impressive flash and recoil, but I'd sure hate to be standing in front of it...:supergrin:

16. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

What do you mean too lazy to carry an auto?

In other news, try out some of the loads. My 2-1/8" J-frame M640-1 kicks like a mother with any full power load. The only .357Mag load that I could handle with it is the 110 grain Winchester JHP. With our duty Winchester 145 grain full power loads, my hand gives up with 2 shots. The .38+P+ is like a *****cat by comparison with all the other loads.

17. spdski

I can slip the wheel gun in my pocket. I have no pocket autos. I guess I could try to trade it for a PM9.

I'll go play on Wednesday and see. I'm bigger than you though. :tongueout:

18. jeager

jeager

:popcorn:

:popcorn:

Just had a MindPhart for another SMILEY-
    "A whole 'nother Can of Worms"

19. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

When I carried that J-frame as my backup or off-duty, I had it stoked with +P+ .38 or the 110 grain mags. I also tried the old silvertips and the federal 125 grain and both still kicked like a *****!

I think that is why I insist on the 2.5" K-frame Model 19 or 66 to tame that recoil.

20. spdski

You mean about the Kahr?

I used to feel the same way, but I know a lot of people with good experiences on the recent Kahrs. :dunno: I wouldn't carry it unless I ran a couple of hundred rounds through it first anyway. I will say this though, the Kahr trigger reset sucks.