close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best 30-06 deer load??

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by RMTactical, Oct 22, 2004.

1. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

Anyone have a good load to reccomend for deer? What about elk?

2. CodeBlue23

CodeBlue23

I have heard great things about Winchester Ballistic Silvertips. I prefer .30-06 in 150 gr for whitetail. Not sure about elk though.

3. mtnflk75

mtnflk75 Hermit..,..

IMHO,
    Probably the most economical and effective Deer bullet in 30-06 is the "Plain Jane" Remington 150 Grain Core-Lokt available at Walmart for around $12.00 a box. I have seen many deer fall to this bullet over the years. And I wouldn't be afraid to go after Elk with 180 Grain version for about the same price. The Remington was one of the first "Controlled Expansion" designs and still works fine today. But, if I was paying BIG $$$ for a "Once in a Life-Time Elk Hunt" I would probably splurge and buy some "Premium" 180 or 200 Grain bullet.

FWIW, I killed a 140 Lb Buck last Monday with a 120 Grain Nosler Ballistic Tip out of a 7mm-08...because that's what I had when the season opened. When the Noslers are gone I am going to the 140 Grain Core-Lokt.

Sorry for the ramble, Mtnfolk75 ;f ;z

4. MARTIN FISHER

MARTIN FISHER

GL,
    Just about any 150 gr. Soft point will do it, even the "cheap stuff" mtnflk75 suggested.

180 gr soft point or the newer lines of controlled expansion or Nosler partions would do well for elk. My friend hunts big game all the time and always uses Nosler partions. Good luck if you go hunting!

5. A_Swede_17_1911

A_Swede_17_1911

I would go with the 150 Grain for deer and the 180 grains for elk. The regular old Remington Corelokts are good. Also shoot some different loads and see what gives you the best accuaracy, I've shot some of my best groups with plain jane remington greenbox, and some of my worst groups with some of the premium lines.

6. A.F. Lineman

A.F. Lineman

150 for Deer, 180 for Elk. Both Remington Cor-Lok. Great bullets. I have taken many animals with both. As have my Father and Grandfather. Just because it is old tech, doesn't mean it don't work.

7. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

Thanks.

What about the 165gr stuff? What would that be good for? Either?

8. Scunyon

Scunyon Ticket Stroker

The 168 Winchester Ballistic SilverTip the best.

9. JimM_PA

JimM_PA

I've been using 165 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips for a number of years. I found that particular bullet weight to be very accurate out of my rifle using handloads. The 150 gr. BT is almost as consistent. With good shot placement, a deer won't go very far.
    Jim

10. Hunterjbb

Hunterjbb

I'd have to agree, 150gr..Fedral Hi-schock.. great bullet for white tail.. I would say if your expecting to shoot "longer" ranges for whitetail the 165's would not hurt you at all.. don't need 180's for deer..

For elk, can't really say as i've not hunted them but would think 180's would do fine, or some 200's if you could find someone to handload them for you.

I've never had much luck with the Remington bullets either accuracy wise or take down wise.. that's why i use the Federals.

In my .270 is use a 130 gr bullet.. my unlce used to shoot 125's out of his pre 64 winchester in .06.. neck shots was all he'd take.. worked pretty good for him..

good luck.. and no matter what bullet you use, you still have to hit them where it matters.. :)

Jeff.

11. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel Pulpa est valeo

If you handload try the Hornady 150 grain SPBT Interlock with IMR 4064 and a CCI Bench Rest primer. Consult your load manual for powder charge but my old 30-06 likes 52.5 grains. You should start at least 20% lower and work up.
    My Remington 700 ADL FS fired a .75 inch four shot group the first time I got to this load level. Produced 2950 FPS to boot.

12. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

My favorite factory 30-06 ammo was Winchester 150 and 200 grain Silvertips.I'm not sure that they these anymore.In 308 I like 180 grain Remington Core-Lokts,I'm sure they work in 30-06 too.Federal makes good ammo and used to load Nosler Partitions in some of their factory loads.The 165 grain bullets didn't used to be common in factory ammo.I do a lot of handloading these days.One older fellow that hunts with us can't take the recoil of full power 30-06 loads anymore.He first went to 125 grain factory loads and they worked on deer for him.I handloaded some light loads for him and he insisted that I stay with lighter bullets.I loaded some 125 and 130 grain bullets for him.I guess he should go to a smaller caliber but he has had his 30-06 for decades.I used Hodgdon's "Youth Loads".

13. G22 Kid

G22 Kid

I use Remington 150 grn. SPs. $10 a box locally...

I have 140 cases I plan on reloading with a quality 150 grn bonded bullet though...

14. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

Before I started reloading for rifles, I used Federal Premium 165gr BTSP, in my Savage 110L. No other brand came close to the accuracy I got with that particular load... but every rifle seems to shoot better with one brand/bullet weight over the others. Mine just happens to prefer Federal. It does not like Winchester ammo of any sort, and it's just so-so with Remington.

You need to find out which brand (and bullet weight) shoots best in your gun, then stick with it. They'll all kill deer cleanly if you put 'em where it counts.

15. dougader

dougader

I agree with you, but even if I was on an expensive guided hunt I'd still go with the Remingotn Core-Lokt ammunition; 150 grain for deer and 180 grain for elk.

A former boss of mine has a HUGE stuffed elk head hanging in the library at his law office. Its a perfect specimen with massive 6x6 antlers. They had to take apart the door frame and wall to get in in there. A moose is on the opposing wall, but the elk is bigger.

Anyway, that elk was hit quartering away with a 180 grain Rem. Core-Lokt slug from his trusty Browning A-Bolt. The bullet entered just behind the left front shoulder, took out the left lung, heart, and the right lung before breaking the off shoulder and coming to rest just under the hide. I've seen and weighed the slug. Amazing penetration, expansion and damage with about 87% retained weight (around 157 grains) and the jacket and core remained intact through the whole thing. I'm told the elk just pitched forward and down, and died.

I thought enough of the bullet to buy 1000 of the 180 grain slugs in bulk for reloading my '06.

I used the old 1960 series Winchester Silvertips and even at 400 yards had them blow up on game. I shot a mule deer at that distance and had to remove about 1/2 pound of bloodshot meat where the bullet entered. But it still penetrated into the chest cavity and dropped the deer. Actually, since I shot him across a canyon and the round entered next to his spine, I imagine the shock of the bullet exploding that close to his spinal cord was the reason he dropped so fast. He was paralyzed and couldn't get up so a finish shot was necessary when we hiked over and found him.

16. lomfs24

lomfs24

Gorelicks, I would have to agree with everyone here. Lighter stuff for deer and heavier stuff for elk.

IMO, shot placement is far more important than 20 or 30 grains on a bullet. After all 40 grains is what, about a 1/10th of an ounce, give or take?

Different bullet weights and different bullet builds can and do shoot differently. Pick a brand, take it out and practice with it a bit to see where it is hitting at all ranges that you may shoot at. This also will give you an idea of how far you are comfortable shooting.

I buy cheap stuff cause I can practice more.

The reason I say that shot placement is far more important than bullet weight is that I consistently shoot deer and elk with far lighter calibers than are "recommended" But then again, I will shoot in the neighborhood of 5000 rounds a year and that is far more shooting than what you average hunter spends on the range.

17. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

i dropped a heavy 5 point last evening on state game lands with a 150grain winchester .308

the deer was about 70 yards away and completely flipped onto its back, kicked for about 5 seconds and was dead on the spot...i didnt even wait to come out of my stand

im calling the tags in on the internet right now

so yeah, 150 grain 30-06 or .308 is like deer lightning with good shot placement

18. AJE

AJE GSSF & USPSA Shooter

I have two and a half boxes of Federal Premium 150gr Ballistic Tips.

When those run out (or before) I will probably buy some Core Lokt. Its cheaper and I can shoot more of it.