Best .22 double action revolver to buy?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by ithaca_deerslayer, Apr 9, 2012.

1. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Edited to say the choice has been made, we are getting a 63 :)

-----------------------------------

Wife and I have narrowed down our search. The gun will be used for our fun and for instructing others. I want it to be reliable and accurate. What do you suggest?

Here are some double action .22 revolvers I'm thinking about.

Smith and Wesson model 63 3" 26oz.
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57768_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Ruger SP101 4" 30oz.
    http://www.ruger.com/products/sp101/specSheets/5765.html

Maybe I should also look at the k frame S&W 617? They are more pricey, and kinda bigger than ideal size. A little heavy at 40oz for the 4". Lots of new women shooters will be trying out this gun. Still thinking it over.

I think I'd feel better with steel than aluminum, so probably not the S&W 317, although I'm still thinking that over too.

While the Taurus are less expensive, I don't think I want to take my chances on them for a finely made and durable revolver. Might make me a snob. I was fine with a 1911 from them, but those things aren't as sophisticated as a revolver. Still thinking it all over :)

Any thoughts/comments/opinions?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  2. wjv

wjv RIP Stan Lee.. . .

Taurus revolvers are well built.

Mine must be 25+ years old by now (9 shot .22), and has had 10s of thousands of rounds through it without failure. My M85CH (.38) has also been reliable and accurate.

[​IMG]

3. countrygun

countrygun

My "best" DA .22s are the S&W 17,18 and Dan Wesson. There is a point at which a DA pistol can be too light to shoot as well as possible. a good "K" frame with proper grips is IME and according to my wife as well, one of the easiest DA pstols to shoot well.

4. wanderinwalker

wanderinwalker 1911

S&W M-18. Okay, anything S&W K-frame. The size is just about perfect for learning DA shooting with. And they're classics. And I absolutely love this little 4" .22.

[​IMG]

5. joecoastie

joecoastie

I would say the 617, yes they are pricey, but well worth it in my opinion. I can see your concerns about the weight, but consider that all that weight means that the recoil is negligible. I like the 17 as well and it is probably somewhat lighter.

[​IMG]

6. pennlineman

pennlineman

Anything S&W. If pinned down I'd say model 17.

[​IMG]

7. jwhite75

jwhite75 Gubmint Worker

That 617 is awesome. I higly recommend it. I will probably be buying one soon too.

8. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

They might be. The avoidance might not be rational. They are $200 less expensive than Smiths.

Are the triggers rougher? More likely to go out of timing? Less accurate?

I don't know. People say that kind of stuff on the internet. Aside from the trigger which you can feel side by side, there's no good data on the other stuff.

No intention to put your revolver down. Like I said, I have a Taurus 1911. But for this purchase I'm thinking of getting something different. Something expensive :rofl:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  9. collim1

collim1

I love my Ruger SP101 in .22LR. Its no tack driver, but is plenty accurate for plinking and packing around the horse stable or hunting property for the occasional pest.

10. robotoid

robotoid

I just picked up a new S&W M63-5 w/3" barrel. I had to send it back to the factory for a canted barrel, but it shot great before and after the fix. Only took about 2 weeks and didn't cost me a dime. This will probably be a gun I keep forever. I can overlook the internal lock on a .22LR, no chance of recoil causing a lock up. 8 shot .22. I've lost track of how many rounds I've put through it already, probably +500.

11. bac1023

bac1023

The Smith and Wesson 617 is great.

12. Dexter

Dexter

S&W 617, or a colt diamondback

13. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Coming from you, that means something :)

You probably have a 617, 63, 17, 18, diamondback, trooper, and am I forgetting any? Oh yeah, there was probably a detective special made in .22, but only manufactured for a 1 month run in a small New Hampshire village by blind monks, and you have the only 3" version they ever made :)

I mention all this not just to be snarky, but to encourage my wife to splurge on the 617, which is the one I think I really want:)

Come on guys, send out good vibes to Mrs. Deerslayer encouraging her that with the 617 she can both teach new women shooters and she'll be able to shoot 1" 25 yard groups offhand. Not only that, but she'll actually save money in the long run because .22 ammo is so cheap :)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  14. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

The SW M17 or 617 is too heavy for an average woman.

A good one would be the SW Kit Gun.

15. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

So you vote for the 63 at 26oz. The guys above had me wanting the 617. 40oz is fine for me, of course. But there are some shooters with various strength issues for which that weight may be an issue.

The typical learning progression goes something like this for introducing a newbie woman to shooting (just based on what we make available):

S&W 2206 4" .22 35oz
    Ruger GP100 6" .38 45oz
    Beretta 92 FS or compact around 30oz
    Glock 17 or Springfield XD around 25oz
    Glock 26 20oz or Kahr PM9 15oz
    S&W 637 .38 15oz or Ruger LCP.380 9oz

That's basically 6 levels available to them, of increasing felt recoil, and decreasing size for CCW considerations.

If they can't handle the recoil, and if we got the 63, we could point out that there are versions of that frame size available in the same caliber with even lighter aluminum, and shorter barrels. Plus it can be used at the starting level with the 2206, where we really need another intro 22lr gun.

Think I'm talking myself into the 63. I know many of these women newbies do not like the weight of the GP100, but it tames recoil nicely for their first centerfire shot. They don't have to stay on the GP100 long.

A model 60 or SP101 for a small frame .38spl would be nice too, so as not to be as harsh in recoil as an airweight, but we have more need of a .22lr for the intro level. :)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  16. Caladan

Caladan

When we were shopping this type of thing, my wife did not like the weight of the 617. She much prefers the 63, and we are both quite happy with it's performance. It's weight is just about perfect for the cartridge - not too light, and not heavier than it needs to be. It's one of my favorite .22's.

I did shoot the new Ruger SP too, and liked it a lot. It probably provides more bang for the buck, but ulitmately the S&W is a better gun. It should be, as it does cost more money. You get what you pay for, I suppose.

The Taurus revolvers used to be built quite well, but the new production versions are not near the revolver that they used to be. The triggers on their .22lr revolvers are not good at all, and neither is the accuracy, even when price is taken into consideration. A few shots was it took to tell me that I would not ever buy one. Older production versions are good though, if you want to shop the used market.

If you are going to consider the used market, then go all out and get a Diamondback.....

17. Bruce M

Bruce M

:rofl::rofl:

I like the K frames 22s but I admit the Kit Gun is a very nice size especially for smaller hands or perhaps placement in the tackle box. Truth is I don't think one could go wrong with either. The stainless steel is a bit easier for me to keep clean.

18. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I'll take that one, put it in my shopping cart please :)

Holy smokes, that thing beautiful!

19. 69HEMI-R/T

69HEMI-R/T

An older S&W Model 18 (P & R) is just about all anyone would ever need to introduce new shooters or experienced shooters to Smith K Frame .22's.

20. TN.Frank

TN.Frank "Don't Tread On Me!"

I think for your needs the Ruger SP101 would be a good way to go. Ruger builds their guns to last and stainless would be nice since it's a bit easier to maintain then a blued steel gun would be. JMHO, YMMV.