close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best 128mb Graphics card for under $100?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ReflexBlade, Feb 12, 2005.

1. ReflexBlade

ReflexBlade

I still unfortunately have a 2001 model 32mb Nvidia Riva TNT screen card, and most newer games demand a minimum of 64 or 128mb cards.

I'd like to upgrade to a 128mb graphics card, but the card most stores carry, the Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 128mb, is said to be a rubbish card with a lot of hangups? (as reported in many computer magazines.)

What about this? Is the ATI Radeon 9600 or 9800 better?

I've read that the ATI 9600 has problems in certain games I have like Ubisofts :pacific Fighters", causing stutters and dark colored water. Maybe the Geforce FX 5200 isn't so bad after all?

As you've gathered, my choices are dictaed by my pocket as I'm a "Poor" student.

Thanks for the advice in the past.

2. pyblood

pyblood

Take a look at these a 9600Pro or 9600XT. The 9600 Pro can be gotten for around $100. The 9600XT can be gotten for around $145.

I kow people that are playing games like HL2 and Farcry on both of these cards. They aren't X800XT PE, but they should play most modern games OK.

Take a look at Newegg.

3. Its The Truth

Its The Truth

Id get Ati 9600XT. Its a good budget card, and it handles most games very well. Even effects rich FPS, like Counter strike, DOD, Battlefield Vietnam.

4. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

$140 is the lowest price for the Radeon 9600XT on PriceWatch.com...here is the link from that site.

While that is indeed the best 'bang for your buck' card under $150, make SURE you do not get the SE version of it!!

It runs slower than some FX5200 cards, which is to say VERY poorly. AVOID THEM TOO.

If you can spend $250 you will actually save quite a bit of money in the long run, though.

You see, you'll not be able to play any future games with a last-gen card, so I would seriously advise you to look at an NVIDIA 6800 card.

Unless you want to upgrade again six months from now, that is...

GL!!

5. grenadier

grenadier

For around 100 dollars, the Radeon 9600 Pro is the best bang / buck. HL2 and Doom 3 work fine with such video cards, although you can't exactly play with more than medium settings.

6. LoWRyDa

LoWRyDa Homercles

i wish i would have read this post before last night, i just bought the 256mb GeForce FX 5200 from wal-mart last night, it was working perfect, went to bed, got up and it wouldnt even work, fiddled with the back of the computer and realized it would only work if i held the blue connector(not sure the real name for it) at a certain angle, so i took it out and I'm returning it today.