Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a Glock 20sf. Hoping to pick it up and shoot it this weekend, but I'm completely new to the 10mm round. Can anyone give me some recommendations on what practice and self-defense ammo to use?

For practice, I typically use WWB, Federal Champion/American Eagle, and Speer Lawman. For SD ammo, I mostly use Gold Dots and Golden Saber. Are these good for the 10mm? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Welcome to the 10mm club!

Practice/Fun Ammo:
Start Reloading
Underwood Ammo
Georgia Arms

SD Ammo:
Winchester 175gr SilverTips
Underwood 180gr Gold Dots (1200fps load)

Check out The 10 Ring & 10mm Reloading Sub-Forums here on GT, tons of info & fellow 10mm enthusiasts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the 10mm club!

Practice/Fun Ammo:
Start Reloading
Underwood Ammo
Georgia Arms

SD Ammo:
Winchester 175gr SilverTips
Underwood 180gr Gold Dots (1200fps load)

Check out The 10 Ring & 10mm Reloading Sub-Forums here on GT, tons of info & fellow 10mm enthusiasts.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
You are gonna love the 10mm.
I like the 200gr Blazer for plinkin, though it is getting pretty expensive.
I am very fond of Underwood ammo these days, also.

I have put a lot of Silvertips downrange in the past, they are a good SD load, and put the hurt on deer and pigs, also.

Have fun!

·
Biggest Member
2,541 Posts
Underwood ammo for sure! They are one of very few places that makes 10mm ammo that is full power. All the big name manufacturers' 10mm ammo is not any better than their .40sw ammo, there are two exceptions....winchester super-x silvertips are better, but still not full power, and hornady's xtp's in 155, 180, and 200gr is better also, but still not full power. Watch out for doubletap ammo, their ammo consistently falls short of its published velocities by 150-250 fps, still halfway decent ammo, but why pay almost double for ammo that doesnt perform as well as other ammo that is half the price?

For home defense, I recommend underwood's 135gr nosler.
For concealed carry, I recommend their 165gr gold dot.
For woods and outdoors Id go with the 200gr xtp's
And for camping or some other situation where you could need to defend yourself against two-legged and four-legged critters, underwood's 180gr xtp's are the way to go. And as always, all of this is just my opinion and YMMV.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! Sounds like Underwood is popular. Is the best place to purchase straight from the manufacturer? I'm not seeing it sold many other places? Any other tips on where to buy good 10mm loads?

·
10mm Philosopher
6,271 Posts
For plinking or practice in factory, most new 10mm users try either CCI/Blazer's 200gn FMJ load (1050fps) or Rem's 180gn FMJ load (1150fps).

Both are at the low end of the 10mm's energy curve at best. :yawn: But the 10mm's energy curve is what it is - which is to say HUGE-arsed.

And you can either buy UP (in factory) or handload UP (in homebrew) to reach that energy-range of the cartridge you feel comfortable with.

In point of fact the 10mm is probably the only "service cartridge" that will immediately interest a new user in reloading for it so as to take economic advantage of what this round can offer.

That includes casual range plinking or competitive gun-game stuff (IDPA), handgun hunting, and practice or training for duty, home or CCW defensive use, etc. Take your pick.

Lots of options here ... :shocked:

"10mm folk are officially cool."

Congrats and have fun!

:cool:

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3lSjm4V4SE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3lSjm4V4SE[/ame]

That's a quick video I shot with my KKM 6'' barrel. The Underwood 165gr Gold Dot has some of the nastiest ballistic numbers I've seen for a handgun. Grip it tight brother :cool:

·
Registered
8,048 Posts
Congrats on your G20SF. Underwood Ammo has my vote.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Can't believe no one has mentioned Underwoodammo. If you aren't going to reload, it's the best for the money going! Remember, save that brass! And sell to me.:supergrin:

·
Banned
1,132 Posts
HD/SD: Win 175gr SilverTip. The older stuff is hotter than the new stuff

Plinking: Reload

The Federal 180gr Hydra-Shok is a great CCW load. It is a mild 10mm load but the bullet expands nicely with decent penetration with mild recoil. Probably would be my choice for CCW in a G29.

Spyder

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
SD I use 180g 1300 FPS Underwood GD's for my 3rd generation Smith's and my Glocks. (G9SF and G20SF)

Use the 1200 FPS 180g GD for my Delta Elites.

Great ammo

1 - 20 of 42 Posts