Beryl and Linux, finally got it working...

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by IndyGunFreak, Feb 17, 2007.

1. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Man, what a pain. Sad thing is, my video card had to crap out for me to get it to work..lol. I came to the conclusion a couple months ago, that it just wasn't going to happen with my ATI card. Well, when it died on me yesterday, I got a good deal on a 256mb Nvidia FX5200. Well, ran into a lot of problems trying to get it set up with my current install, as it seemed to keep conflicting with ATI drivers I'd installed. Fortunately I keep good backups, so rather than try to figure it out, I chose to just do a clean install, and was up and running in about an hour. Beryl is actually pretty cool, and has a lot of the things Windows Vista has.. Beryl has a gazillion settings, so you'll go through them a while till you get it exactly how you want it.

Just thought I'd gloat...

[​IMG]

2. BilltheCat

BilltheCat Quieter Cat Millennium Member

3. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

The 3d desktop driver that works best with the ATI cards can't be used together with the ATI driver.The one that works best for 3d desktop with the Nvidia cards can be installed together with the Nvidia driver.I don't mess with ATI cards much but I'll check the info I have.

4. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

Okay found my notes from setting up Beryl.The best 3d desktop driver is the AIGLX.It uses the least memory and will run dual monitors and run open GL 3d games on top of it.It doesn't work well with ATI cards.The other one is XGL which works best with ATI cards but doesn't support dual monitors and can't run open GL games on top og itself.Also uses more memory but works best with ATI cards.

5. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

6. Trsnrtr

Trsnrtr

I ran Beryl on a Suse 10.1 system and had stability problems. I was using an NVidia N6800 512MB card. It ran great for about three days and then Kablam!

I'm currently running Linux Mint and may give Beryl a try again sometime.

7. g29andy

g29andy CLM

Thanks to Washington DC, I'm running SabayonLinuxDVD. I selected AIGLX since I have a GeForce 7600GS 256MB card.

Runs fast. I got screens flying around, spinning, jumping, etc.

8. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Hmm, obviously I'm on Day 3, but I've really noticed no problems at all. Suse seems to be one of those distros that people either Love or Hate.. I personally fall on the hate side(Although I've not used it since around 8.2 or something like that)...

Linux Mint, if I'm not mistaken, is an Ubuntu clone, so you should be able to install Beryl pretty easily from the Ubuntu repositories. Or you could try Automatix. I used to use Automatix constantly, now that I kinda sorta know what I'm doing with Ubuntu, I don't generally use it, but it is handy for some things.

http://www.getautomatix.com/

9. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

Ubuntu says they are going to drop 3D desktop support in the next release,7.04,because they think it's not stable with the new kernel.

10. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak