close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bersa Thunder vs. Ruger LCP

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by primewinner, Apr 6, 2010.

1. primewinner

primewinner

I'm looking for a small concealed carry piece and think I have narrowed my search down to a Bersa Thunder 380 or a Ruger LCP 380.

what I want out of a concealed carry gun:

• easily concealable, would like to stuff in my pocket
    • something I can take to the range 3-4 times a year for about 100 rounds per trip
    • something for about $300
    guns Ive tried to concealed carry but just didnt work out:

• keltec 380 - didnt like it, felt too small in my hand. although I did like how the ease to hide
    • glock 19 & 26 - loved them, just couldnt get used to carrying on my hip in an IWB holster
    • sigma - same as above for glocks
    • S&W model 12-4 - nice revolver but cant find a concealable holster I feel comfortable with

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  2. finz50

finz50

I own both and always carry the Kel-Tec or LCP just based on the fact that it's easily nore concealable than anything else I have

3. kensteele

kensteele

i believe the keltec and the lcp are more or less identical.

4. LoadToadBoss

LoadToadBoss IYAAYWOT

I have the Bersa Thunder 380, Kel Tec PF-9, and the Kel Tec P3AT. The Kel Tecs are all snappy shooters. The Bersa is an easy shooter. The Bersa is 7+1, the P3AT is 6+1, the PF-9 is 7+1 in 9mm. The size of the PF-9 is similar to the Bersa, maybe a little thinner than the Bersa. The Bersa grips easlier.

5. atakawow

atakawow

To be honest, neither one would fit what you are looking for.

If you didn't like the Keltec 380 because it was too small for your hand, then you won't like the LCP. They are nearly identical in size and shape.

Bersa Thunder 380 is too large and too heavy for pocket carry. It is an all metal gun.

There are trade-offs that you have to consider. Easily concealable pocket guns, most likely, will not be enjoyable to shoot. Bigger guns will fit your hand and absorb recoil better, but they will be much more difficult to carry comfortably.

If you really have to pick between the two, I'd go with the LCP. 3-4 range sessions a year is very little range time compared to most shooters, so I will assume that you want a gun for self defense instead of recreational purposes. If that is the case, go with something you can carry comfortably with you all the time.

ATK.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  6. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

I handled the Keltec it just felt to small in my hands( I hate slide bites) so the Bersa was the one I got small enough to hide easily, big enough to prevent slide bite!! The LCP wasn't out at the time I bought but if its the same size as the Keltec it would be for the same reasons a no go!:supergrin:

7. BuckeyeBlast

BuckeyeBlast

8. Trey83

Trey83

I agree with ^^^^^^

I am happy with my LCP for pocket carry but you probably won't like it if the KT P3AT is too small for your hand. The Bersa is IMO too big for any sort of pocket carry.

9. BuckeyeBlast

BuckeyeBlast

Just looking at that Gunblast link on the Diamondback DB380 - goodness does this thing look like a Glock inside:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I like that it has much better sites than the LCP.

10. chazbme99

chazbme99

Bersa is the choice for me. The Ruger LCP looks and feels like a toy to me. Bersa makes a 380 thunder concealed carry model. All black smaller and flatter than the regular 380 thunder model. Bersa also has a exterbak safety abd decocker plus the slide also locks back unlike the Ruger LCP. They are harder to find but they are out there. Gunbroker usually has a few up. Price is usually $300 ish.

11. Manzoli7

Manzoli7

At gun shows you can get a smart carry holster for about $75 dollars or immitations smart carry for $25. It is a pouch with a strap secured buy velcro worn between your under wear and pants. It is suposed to be worn in front of your crotch but I turn mine sideways almost so the gun is near my left hip. The handle is above my belt line. This way it is cross draw. When you sit down the barel goes past your left hip so it is comforatable while seated. If I use it this way I leave my shirt untucked. I have concealed snub noes revolvers and K frame 357 mags with a 4 inch barrel in this manner. I have also concealed a small automatic and a duty sized 9mm in this manner. I got the medium sized holster. The original smart carry is made out of blue gene material the imitation is black nylon. The kell tecks will be a true pocket gun. The bersa will not hide in a pocket but be easy to control and be easy to be acurate with. The kel teck is an extreamly close range gun. The handel is so small it is harder to control. Guns that are heavier tend to be easeir to control. Also how it fits your hand, How far the trigger is positioned from your hand(not to far or to close), how hard the trigger pull is , can effect acuracy. Glocks are acurate even though they are light but they have some heft to them, they have a big enough handle to get a grip on, have a well placed triger and not an overly heavy triger.

12. primewinner

primewinner

hey guys, thanks for all the great input. lots of great info. I ended up going with a Bersa Firestorm 380. got it for $283 after tax and ID check fee. this thing feels great and I like the ability to have a thumb safety.

[​IMG]

13. LRB2GZ

LRB2GZ

I have 2 Bersa thunder 380s (one of which is unfired). The one I shoot is about to be mailed off for the second time for warranty work. The first time it had a problem with the disconnecter spring and now I'm getting light primer strikes/FTFs at a very high frequency. The gun has under 300-400 rounds through it. The disconnecter spring problem is actually very common according to what I've read on bersatalk.

Don't get me wrong, I love these pistols, but mine has been proven to be too unreliable for me to feel comfortable about carrying it. I'm currently considering a LCP/P3AT or maybe a bodyguard 380 when they come out.

The bersa is also a little big for pocket carry and I want a pocket gun for summer.