Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Baby Face Off
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this question in General Non Glocking and got a mixed bag review of everyone loving the gun but some people suggesting it was too small/weak of a gun for carry.

Opinions ladies? I'd really like to get her one for her birthday in June :)

·
What's Up Dox?
6,801 Posts
My first gun was a Colt .380 Pony Pocketlite (this one is no longer made). The size is perfect, it's easy to conceal but I found the tension on the trigger to be a little much for my small hands. I did qualify for my permit in TN with this gun though and I did well on the range test despite the fact it made my fingers very sore. I also had a problem (and still do) with this gun jamming frequently.

As for the argument that .380 is "weak", if I put a .380 round right through your center, you might think differently. It's bullet placement, not bullet size that kills people. My TN permit instructor said he had lots of friends killed by 22s.

·
Baby Face Off
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by SouthernGal
My first gun was a Colt .380 Pony Pocketlite (this one is no longer made). The size is perfect, it's easy to conceal but I found the tension on the trigger to be a little much for my small hands. I did qualify for my permit in TN with this gun though and I did well on the range test despite the fact it made my fingers very sore. I also had a problem (and still do) with this gun jamming frequently.

As for the argument that .380 is "weak", if I put a .380 round right through your center, you might think differently. It's bullet placement, not bullet size that kills people. My TN permit instructor said he had lots of friends killed by 22s.
Yeah I definately get tired of the idea that we should all be walking around with miniguns.

·
Bullseye?
715 Posts
My $0.02....

If Joy likes the .380 and handles it well, you're good to go. I'm of the mindset that one should be comfortable with the carry gun. It is about shot placement, when all is said and done. If she's comfortable with it, great, if not, re-think the purchase. It may be best to do this as an "open" purchase. You know, not surprise with a "honey, look what I got for you".

I'm considering something smaller than my 9 mm for summer.....just thinking about it now......

Lynn

·
Baby Face Off
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Lynn D
My $0.02....

If Joy likes the .380 and handles it well, you're good to go. I'm of the mindset that one should be comfortable with the carry gun. It is about shot placement, when all is said and done. If she's comfortable with it, great, if not, re-think the purchase. It may be best to do this as an "open" purchase. You know, not surprise with a "honey, look what I got for you".

I'm considering something smaller than my 9 mm for summer.....just thinking about it now......

Lynn
Well... she hasn't actually shot the said gun, but I'm factoring in these two things: Out of every gun she's played with at the gun shop, thats the one she always says feels comfortable in her hand and she likes... and she's shot various .40, .45, and .50 caliber handguns and been comfortable shooting all of them... so I think it'll be hit. If not, I'll make it my backup gun... and make a fly holster for it!

·
GET A ROPE!
37,372 Posts
Nephilim, mi amigo.

Whenever someone says, "That's not powerful enough for carry!" I generally ask them, "So, you wouldn't mind being shot with it, eh?"

Folk should choose their own sidearm.

<--- doesn't handload .380 ACP :cowboy:

·
Registered
295 Posts
As I said in the other thread, I have one and don't care for it. I prefer my G26 but everyone else seems to love the Bersa so I must just be weird. :supergrin: I did like the way it felt in my hands at the gun shop but once I took it too the range, that was a whole other story. I don't carry yet so I can't comment on it's "carryability" but when comparing my G26 and the Bersa side by side, there's not a whole heck of a lot of difference. The Bersa is a tad thinner but that's about it.

If she likes it, then go for it. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts