close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dismiss Notice

You are browsing the classified section of GlockTalk.com, by doing so you agree to follow the terms of service.

http://www.glocktalk.com/pages/classifieds-tos/

Berry's Bullets

Discussion in 'Smart Shopper' started by Chuck Perry, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Chuck Perry

Chuck Perry

Back in October I had ordered 500 bullets from them for my Smith 500 Magnum. By the way, you can't beat their price on these ($65 delivered!). I haven't had much shooting time, and only recently got around to playing with them. I'm looking at the box today, and it just didn't look like there were 500 bullets in there. Sure enough, I count them and there's only 242. Super. I place a call to Berry's, expecting a "Yeah, sure, tough luck" response. After all, it's been over a month since they shipped them and it's my first order with them. Willy takes my info and confirms my order. "Is there clear tape around the packing box?" he asks. There is. "Great, sounds like UPS damaged it and tried to fix it up. They don't allow us to file a claim after this long." At which point I think, yeah Perry you screwed yourself again. "We'll file the claim and see what happens," he says. "In the meantime I'll ship out the bullets you didn't receive, no cost of course." That's awesome! Please don't hesitate to do business with these people. The bullets are first rate, and so is their service. I'll be back for more.

2. Al-G17

Al-G17

Do they have a web address?

3. SDBettas

SDBettas

I just don't care for their bullets, they don't do well in high-velocity loads, IMHO.

4. Chuck Perry

Chuck Perry

5. big88foot

big88foot Millennium Member

I've used Berry's for years and really like them.
    They do warn that, with a heavy roll crimp, which can cut into the plating, AND at very high velocities, the plating can separate and cause problems. I've loaded Berry's in .45acp, 9mm, .40s&w, and .44mag and had this problem ONCE, with fairly hot .44 mag loads shot in my rifle, The same loads were fine in handguns.

BF

6. Speedrock

Speedrock "To The Point"

"They do warn that, with a heavy roll crimp, which can cut into the plating, AND at very high velocities, the plating can separate and cause problems."

This is true for any mfg's. plated bullets....

7. big88foot

big88foot Millennium Member

When I first investigated this plating separation issue I contacted a couple of manufacturers and Berry's told me their plating was .004" and West Coast said theirs was .007". I see that the Berry's site now says thickness varies between .0035" and .008" depending upon caliber. I guess they now vary thickness depending upon expected maximum velocity - a smart move on their part.

But, as I said above, for handgun shooting with anything other than very hot magnum loads with heavy roll crimping, Berry's are very good and I don't hesitate to use them.

I did some tests comparing Berry's and West Coast and found that the Berry's gave slightly higher velocities - I attributed this to them being slightly easer to obturate and sealing the barrel better. In either case, the plating was thick enough to eliminate any concerns with leading.

BTW, Speer plates many of their bullets, but their plating must be pretty thick also, since I've never heard of them having a separation problem, - not that it is a real problem, just something to bear in mind if you're pushing the velocity limits.

BF

8. SmartOne

SmartOne GoingIn CoverMe

;Q I've been using Berry's Plated Bullets for, at least, the past 8 years. I particularly like them because they're cheap, the base has no exposed lead, and at reasonable handgun velocities they shoot very well. In a Glock, however, you should treat them pretty much like lead. Keep the pressure down; occasionally brush out the bore, and don't let any deposits start to build up.

I've shot tens of thousands of these bullets through my S&W 38/357's, Browning 9mm's and Colt 45's without a problem of any kind. Berry's Manufacturing is a good company to deal with, too. I, also, own a number of other Berry products including some that are no longer made - like a couple of hundred, red colored, pistol-ammo boxes. ;)

9. Speedrock

Speedrock "To The Point"

"BTW, Speer plates many of their bullets, but their plating must be pretty thick also,..."

Speer's "plating" process seems to be high-end technology {used in Gold Dot} compared to the average economy plated bullet!

"We start with a swaged (cold-formed) lead core and then build a pure copper jacket with chemical electro-plating literally one molecule at a time. This isn't a thin "flash" of copper — it creates a true jacket, between .007" and .030" thick depending on the use of the bullet."

http://www.speer-bullets.com/default.asp?s1=3&s2=7